VOGONS

First post, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi I recently got a cd copy of 1942 PAW Gold and thought it would be a simple dos install but i have had to install windows 3.1 because the game simply wont install any other way - i kept getting the message in dosbox that the game must be run in windows

I have done this and loaded sb drivers and S3 drivers and installed the game - it will bring up the multimedia intro screen which gives one the option to watch some videos or start PAW Gold - i click in the option to play the game and it closes out (i presume for the game to then start in dos maybe?) but then the screen just returns to Windows 3.1 and the game doesnt start
its advises with a warning message beforehand selecting to play the game that if the screen goes back to windows 3.1 then there is not enough memory

This brings up the question then of do i increase the memory for windows 3.1 to recognise in dosbox - having the conf file for dosbox with 16 for memsize does nothing to alter this

is it the emfree conventional memory that needs to be increased?

the requirements for PAW Gold are

1) A 386SX processor (386DX 33 MHz or higher recommended)
2) 580k free conventional memory
3) 1600k free EMS memory
4) 1.5 Megabytes of hard drive space.
5) MSCDEX ver 2.11 or later.
6) A Joystick or mouse

It also mentions this int eh readme

*** If you do not have enough conventional memory (580K), you will
be unable to launch the game from the multimedia section. You
can reconfigure your system and launch the game by switching
to the MPS\PAWGOLD directory and typing 1942. ***

but still i cant seem to get the game to work in dos as i keep gettingh the stupid must run in windows message - urgh!

please help!
thank you

Reply 1 of 1, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great news - i have got it fixed!!!! and have the sound playing beautifully

Okay, so i had t install the game through WIN 3.1 - tedious and all but not difficult and make sure then that i had SB16 Drivers applied as well as the "Sound Blaster 2.0 updated Dos Win 3.11 zip collection applied - this is found in the vogons library.

Of the zip, i just applied the sb2up folder install - i am not sure if this was necessary but it may have been - its hard to know as i didnt run through every configuration prior to this

And prior to all this though i had the dosbox conf soundblaster settings as
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=280
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=opl3
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100

and then after installing all the game and sb16 files through windows 3.1 each time i made sure the details in the sound config matched for PAW Gold also in 3.1
- oh and also, when installing the sb16 drivers and update make sure to have teh 280 and teh irq selected.

okay after all this i left win 3.1 and just went and back into dosbox and to just mount the c: drive in which i have teh mps/pawgold folder and also the windows folder for 3.1 - i also mounted the disk image that i have made of the disk.

so then a switch to mps/pawgold and just 1942 and the game runs and with no sound problems at. - its just left to me now to up the cycles and should be all good from now!