VOGONS

First post, by Tragazo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I hope I am right here and that I do not ask silly questions.
First I want to say english is not my native language so I hope you will excuse my mistakes. I have not found something on google which helps, so I was looking for a dosbox forum.

I want to play old dos games with my psp using the new Homebrew enabler with the latest psp dosbox. Especially I tried to run Tomb Raider 1, I don't know if we are able to do this!?

Meanwhile I got Tomb 1 installed on my memstick but if I run tomb.exe with dynamic or auto cpu core setting the PSP freezes.
If I choose normal setting for cpu core on my config file I get (nearly) this error code:

dos/4GW Protected Mode run-time version 1.97cpoyright (c) rational systems, inc 
Dos/16M error: [29] memory error out of range
Error [35] unexpected interrupt=0000 in Dos4GW.exe at 0000:0450 code=0000 ss=JF68 ds=0000 es=0000
ax=000Z bx=000Z cx=000Z dx=0AAC sp=Z08E bp=Z0f6 si=Z10C di=19CC

During the installation I chose "no soundcard". I tried to run it with replacing the installation files with the files from a dgvoodoo installation I did on my computer. When I had done this I got the errors above and

CPU:GRP5:Illegal Call 7

furthermore.

Will I generally be able to run this game?Hope somebody says I will be able 😊 with greedings

Tragazo

Reply 4 of 10, by Tragazo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello the second time 😊
I tried to run Tomb Raider on my pc with dosbox version 0.72, too
I tried to mount my drives like I had to do on my psp.
mount c: c:/
mount d: c:/cd -t cdrom -> because the psp has no CD drive 😁

like on my PSP I got the Laserlock error so I replaced the Dos4GW with one from the Internet. After that I was able to install Tomb Raider I did it with "No Soundcard mode" because on the psp I have non, too.
But if I run tomb.exe Dosbox crashes - like on psp- and I really have no idea what this error code wants to tell me

MIDI: Opened device :win32
SHELL: Redirect output to
Illegal read from cccccce4, CS:IP 18: 32d
Illegal read from cccccce5, CS:IP 18: 32d
Illegal read from cccccce6, CS:IP 18: 32d
Illegal read from cccccce7, CS:IP 18: 32d
Illegal read from cccccce8, CS:IP 18: 32d
Illegal read from cccccce9, CS:IP 18: 32d
Illegal read from ccccccea, CS:IP 18: 32d
Illegal read from cccccceb, CS:IP 18: 32d
Exit to error: JMP Illegal descriptor type 0

could it be a problem with the DOS4GW I downloaded because of the Laserlock problem? If I don't get it working on my psp atleast I want to be able playing it on my computer

greatz
Tragazo

PS. Dosbox is cool 😎

Reply 5 of 10, by Tragazo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry I can't find the edit button.

I got TR running on my computer now, but only with the Tomb Raider advanced Installer which includes dgvoodoo and VDM sound.
With dosbox I can run the test for sound during the installation but I can't run the tomb.exe it chrashes with the error code above.
On my psp I got a sound setting with which I can run the sound test too, but the tomb.exe crashes with the memory and dos4gw error and I can't run TR with the advanced installer on my psp (yes I tried it but I got a curious screen with manufactoring date of my psp and so on 😁 )
Can someone explain me the errors I got so I can experiment with the regarding settings ?

greatz

Reply 6 of 10, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been working to support LaserLok in DOSBox, with - perhaps - some success (Championship Manager 2 works, others might but I don't own them), but it's only a source patch right now. You'd have to build the code yourself.

Reply 7 of 10, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, now I've looked at this one. The memory range error is caused by heap corruption in the emulated memory. Something is loading a file into a memory block that they don't own. It's completely reproducible, so someone has a bug. I'm not sure yet if it's DOSBox or TR itself.

Anyway, once that error is seen, DOS4GW wants to exit to DOS, but forgets to return to real mode first before loading a selector with a real-mode value. This causes a GPF, which causes the unexpected interrupt and the second error message.

I'll keep digging when I have time.

Reply 8 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Anyway, once that error is seen, DOS4GW wants to exit to DOS, but forgets to return to real mode first before loading a selector with a real-mode value. This causes a GPF, which causes the unexpected interrupt and the second error message.

Don't care too much about that, usually those issues are game+extender bugs
(exiting during critical code when in a graphics mode for example).

Reply 9 of 10, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, I know exactly when and why the second one occurs. Agreed, that's not a bug worth fixing. However, the first error is serious, and I don't know exactly when or why it occurs (ie why the file is loaded to the wrong location). That cause of that bug does need to be identified, because it might be in DOSBox itself.
That's what I intend to find out when I can.