VOGONS

First post, by Razz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Caution: Newbie question from computer dummy. Be kind, 😀

To wit -- I have a Sony Viao with a 1280X768 screen setting, and I am trying to play Great Naval Battles III.

Well the game plays all right but the actual DOSBOX screen is too small. It takes up only a little more than 1/3 of the screen's physical area and everything is too small for me to play the game effectively. So my question is how do I re-size the DB window to make it as big as possible?

Thanks much

__Razz

Reply 2 of 10, by Razz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply but if you're referring to changing to Full Screen and back via alt - enter, that's not what I mean. The problem is that in full screen mode, the actual game window is centered on the black screen but is only one-third of the screen's actual physical size. And as far as this line goes, "windowresolution -- Scale the window to this size IF the output device supports hardware scaling." I tried doing that but nothing happened. Is there anything else I can edit in the config file to scale up the "game screen"?

__Razz

Reply 3 of 10, by t0mme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Check the readme and dosbox.conf for the scalers.

* Intel Pentium Dual-Core e2180 @ 2Ghz | 3GB Ram | Asus Geforce 9600GT 512MB | Vista Basic *
* AMD Sempron XP 2800+ @ 1,6Ghz | 1GB Ram | SiS M760GX | Windows XP | Linux Mint 8 *
* Dedicated DOS-machine obsolete since DOSBox 0.73 *

Reply 4 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Razz wrote:

Caution: Newbie question from computer dummy. Be kind, 😀

Will try to be kind 😁

Normally ALT-ENTER or fullscreen=true should stretch the video all the way and fill your monitor, but it depends on both the graphics driver you have installed, and the output-method used by DOSBox.

First step should be to undo all your changes to the screen & scaler settings and set them back to their defaults.

Next change the output=..... in your dosbox.conf. Try them all and see if one of of will correctly scale the graphics in fullscreen mode.

windowresolution=......... only affects the window size when running in windowed (non-fullscreen mode), but that too is dependent on the driver and the output-method.

You can also try to set fullscreenresolution to either 0x0 (which should pick up the actual resolution from your PC), or fullscreenresolution=1280x768.

If none of this works, try to update your graphics driver.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 10, by Razz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks much for your help, guys and I was able to get it partially working.
For instance, here are my edited lines in the DosBox config file:

[SD1]

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=true
fullresolution=1280x768
windowresolution=1280x768
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[render]

frameskip=0
aspect=true
scaler=normal2x forced

What happens with this config is that the horizontal is right on the money from side to side, but about 25 percent of the vertical is cut off at the bottom of the screen. Any ideas how I can fix that?

__Razz

Reply 7 of 10, by Razz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks again for the replies. I wouldn't blame anyone if they were getting tired of this thread and I wouldn't be offended if they just dropprd it but as for myself it's now become a mission. 😈 . But I digress.

Okay, I tried all the other output options and 'overlay' just gave me a blank screen and the other options an installation error message -- "Supported Video card not detected -installation aborted - Vesa480.dll."

Now "Vesa480.dll" happens to be in the Drv. Folder of my game, so if that's what holding up the parade, how can I get DosBox to recognize it?

Regards,
__Razz

Reply 8 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC most notebooks won't display low resolutions (those lower than its native resolution) full-screen, unless you turn on 'scretch' in the BIOS.

Here's an experiment; go to Display Properties, and set your resolution to, say, 640x480. Does it displayed full screen? If not, then you should turn on 'scretch' in the BIOS.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 10, by Razz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to you guys -- MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! 😁

And Kreshna, you inadvertantly pointed the way by your suggestion of changing the display settings, since that made me fiddle around with the scaler settings. To make a long story short, in the end, I didn't have to change the dispay settings but I simply picked "scan3x" and got rid of the "forced" option. This made the game display take up almost the whole screen!

😏 Uh, and so can I now upgrade myself to semi-newbie and semi-computer dummy?

Thanks again!
Regards,
razz (AKA Jim)

Reply 10 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wait, so did you actually turn on the 'scretch' option from BIOS menu?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.