VOGONS

Semi OT: Adlib emulation

Topic actions

First post, by dandu386

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there an adlib emulator available that can be used while running windows? Like you can install it as a driver and all of windows and dos's midi functions are going to play in adlib/soundblaster sound?

Reply 1 of 9, by =zum=

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe PC section was the right one!

Well, i've searched that kind of emulator for years, but what i found is badly done linux things so i suggest you to download things like Adplug, an adlib emulator for winamp, that plays midi too (but not as you remember the opl2/opl3 from windows) and LOTS of other Adlib music based file.

Reply 2 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[Moved]

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Adplug isn't a Windows driver.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 9, by =zum=

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't say that.

Reply 5 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never had probs in ADLIB music under windows... it just works using the "Legacy audio" subsystem of windows... maybe it would help to get a real pci soundcard... if u use onboard audio, maybe it lacks such features...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 9, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been looking for such a thing for a long time - I've got onboard audio as well as a Sound Blaster X-Fi, and think that the MIDI on both is garbage. I long for the days of OPL2/3-powered music, and I wish there was a driver a la MUNT that could emulate that classic sound. Wavetable MIDI annoys me greatly.

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 7 of 9, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Get a Yamaha DX-7 and be happy 😀

Reply 8 of 9, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's...awfully expensive, though, isn't it? I can't find it for any cheaper than $80.

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 9 of 9, by vbdasc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Then get an used Yamaha YMF724/YMF744/YMF754 sound card. These cards are hardware compatible with the OPL3 and usually cost much cheaper than USD80 😀