VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh no 😢

The entire video game industry’s history thus far has been an aberration. It has been a mutant monster only made possible by unc […]
Show full quote

The entire video game industry’s history thus far has been an aberration. It has been a mutant monster only made possible by unconnected computers. People always play games together. All of you learned to play games with each other. When you were kids, you played tag, tea parties, cops and robbers, what have you. The single-player game is a strange mutant monster which has only existed for 21 years and is about to go away because it is unnatural and abnormal.

– me, at the Churchill Club

Well, that one set the cat among the pigeons…

After 24 hours, we see story after story after story after story after story on this, and of course, I also got a bunch of emails from co-workers, including the memorably titled “Are you serious?”

Yes, I am serious, but it’s worth digging into the topic a bit more thoroughly.

Historically speaking, single-player games are indeed an aberration.

Games are either symmetric or asymmetric. The vast majority of games are symmetric games: that is, games where the opposition to a player’s activity has the same choices to make as the player does. In tennis, both players get a racket, and a side of the court; in chess, both players get a side of the board and the same array of pieces, and so on. In the pre-electronic days, there were very few asymmetric games.

Some, like fox and geese, literally provided different pieces and choices to each side (the best-known modern multiplayer asymmetric game is probably Starcraft). Others, like solitaire, relied on randomization to provide the cognitive challenge to the player. Upon occasion, you would get asymmetric puzzles, as in crossword puzzles or the current rage of sudoku, but these aren’t really games in the strict sense.

It isn’t until the advent of the computer that we suddenly get widespread asymmetric design. The earliest computer games were symmetric ones — Pong, Spacewar. But quickly, the power of the computer meant that the opponent’s role was taken by primitive AI, and very quickly, developers realized that the very nature of computers meant that the opponent would likely have to have different choices than the player did. The result was games like Space Invaders, where the set of moves available to the player’s opponent is extremely different from what the player can choose from.

The videogame industry became set in an asymmetric pattern pretty early on, and has remained largely in that pattern for a variety of reasons.

* Human interface factors. It is difficult to get multiple people around a computer monitor.
* The invention of co-operative play, which permitted players to mimic symmetric sports games (both Gauntlet and the 100m hurdles share this structure; players play in parallel against the same opposition, which in the case of hurdles happens to be physics).
* As computers developed, it becamse easier to deliver stories using them. It’s notable than many of the objections to my sweeping statement centered around affection for story — not around affection for gameplay.

Taken as a whole, it’s clear that the computer enabled a vibrant new branch of game types to come into full flower — the asymmetric game flourished on the computer, and by and large is clumsy in person-to-person gaming.

However, it’s also worth noting that from very early on, electronic games were also employed in a multiplayer fashion. After all, computers, from very early on, were envisioned to be networked. Right when mainframes were first proliferating across campuses, Spacewar appeared in multiplayer form. Right when PLATO terminals appeared, they were promptly used for multiplayer gaming. Right when personal computers started to be deployed in homes, MUDs were invented to take advantage of early forms of the Internet. When those personal computers were at their peak with the Apple II, Atari 8-bit, and Commodore machines, they came with multiple joystick ports so you oculd play with your friends. Right when online services first began to provide walled gardens for subscribers, there were multiplayer games there to rake in millions of dollars.

The multiplayer game never went away. It especially never went away if you consider how much of even single-player gaming was played with an audience. The default mode of playing a console game today is with multiple people on a couch. In a very real sense, we regularly play single-player games as multiplayer ones, passing the controller around, spectating, and so on. Modern market research data shows that the myth of the solitary gamer bathing in the glow of their cathode ray tube is just that, a myth.

It can be argued that the major reason why so many games were designed for single-player play instead was because of who was doing the designing. If you survey personality types, you’ll find that the personality type of the gamer is strongly introverted. In 21st Century Game Design Bateman and Boon identify what is generally considered to be the core gamer market as mostly INTJ, ISTJ, INTP and ISTP in the Myers-Briggs typology. As they say of their “hardcore conqueror” segment,

The Myers-Briggs types that dominate this cluster (INTJ, ISTJ) are two of four types that research has shown to be common to programmers, and indeed, Type 1 gameplay dominates current game design assumptions in most developers and publishers. In some cases, it seems that this has been identified as the only style of “legitimate” gameplay…

The types of games these players prefer? Action games and computer role-playing games (which it should be noted have very little to do with face to face roleplaying, when regarded from a mechanical perspective, being mostly about acquisition and power fantasies).

These four Myers-Briggs types represent only 33% of the American population. More significatly, they represent only 19% of women.

According to Bateman and Boon, it’s actually the “participant” player type who represents the larger cluster in the general population. They go on to state, “In truth, we lknow very little about these players…”

It is therefore unsurprising to see commentary on my statement that reads like this:

Such optimism towards human interaction is just wonderful, but lets face it. Playing video games in any context will always be much more rewarding than actual human interaction.
-A poster on the Joystiq thread

What we see there, people, is the introvert in action.

It is hardly a major prediction to state that as games that reach these segments become available, that they will be connected in some fashion. And indeed, the major casual games sites, which have enormous female populations, are heavily community-oriented.

Today, even single-player games are played in “connected” fashion. The poster child for this is, of course, Xbox Live. Every single-player game on that platform has online profiles, special badges called “achievements,” awareness of other players playing in parallel — basically, all the qualities of playing games in a living room in parallel, all the qualities of playing in parallel in an arcade, all the qualities of a playground. Competing for a high score in Geometry Wars 2 is exactly the same as engaging in a footrace against the clock; you are playing a lengthy extended parallel symmetric game against other players, whilst you are also playing an asymmetric one against the direct opponent (the computer, in the case of Geometry Wars; physics, in the case of the footrace).

But this is hardly the only way in which this happens. These days, the forums attached to a game are part of the gameplay experience. The collaborative building of walkthroughs is part of the game. The sharing of screenshots is part of the game. The trading of user-created game assets is part of the game. These are all forms of multiplayer play. They have a direct impact on the gameplay experience. They often serve as badges, as profiles, and as awareness of other players playing in parallel.

Some have accused World of Warcraft of being a “massively single-player game” in that it enables solo play to such an extent that you can play much of the game by yourself. Unsurprisingly, many of the current hardcore gamer community cite the attraction of playing by themselves “near other people.” There’s that introvert again… and once again, what the game provides is badges of achievement in the form of levels, profiles in the form of avatars, and awareness other players playing in parallel, via chat channels. And the difference is…?

Half the PC game market revenue comes from games on networks. Casual games, found on websites with forums and chat channels and online scoreboards; and massively multiplayer games, which brings those things within the game. The dwindling segment is the single-player eloaborately architected authorial experience. Even there, vast swaths of the market demand multiplayer content now; try making an action game without it, even a heavily story-driven one. Even the elaborately story-driven experiences made by developers like Bioware and Bethesda come with tools designed to enable players to trade game content.

In addition, the console market will be 99% connected gameplay by the end of 2008 or so as current consoles are abandoned. The entire next-gen is going to a connected experience. Even the most heavily single-player driven experience, the RPGs and story games, will be intrinsically connected. You will never be playing alone; there will always be other players there right on the other side of a network adapter. You will be playing a single-player game only in the sense that a kid on a playground who is swinging on a swing is “playing alone” in the crowd of other kids playing near them, waiting turns, pushing them, and competing with them to see who can loop-de-loop the swing and be the first in the school to crack open their skull.

In the end, there are some fundamental trends driving all this.

* It’s now physically possible. It wasn’t before. But very soon, all gaming platforms will be on the Net.
* We’re actually getting everyone to play, instead of only the introverted geeks.
* This larger audience is partly driven by the fact that the geeks want games that are too damn expensive to break even given how few geeks there are.
* Lastly, even the introverted geeks want social approval, so they engage in wrapping their games with social content that demands connection, such as walkthroughs and forums.

None of this takes away anything from the immersive story-driven experience that many gamers love. The dense rich RPGs, the elaborate RTS campaigns, the lengthy searches for secrets of the platformer, these things will all still be there as long as we can afford to make them. But they won’t be the single-player game as we know it today. Some compare these sorts of experiences to books. But books are also enjoyed as social activities today — they are traded in book clubs, they are read in classrooms, they are recommended on television and argued about in newspapers. Few books are truly enjoyed as solitary experiences except on a truly momentary level.

Single-player gaming is doomed, because already today, the large crowd playing Solitaire is doing it online, whilst chatting in a chat room, because they can; because the RPG player is doing it whilst chatting with friends about the plot in a chat room, because they can; because fundamentally, the vast majority of humans want human contact even if only fleeting. We want to know where we stand compared to everyone else, whether what we like matches what the world likes, and whether or not others care that we are there.

That’s the connected future. You need to get used to it, because it’s halfway here already.

Edit: Since the Internet seems to be erupting with commentary on this, a short form of my argument: Very soon, all single-player gaming will happen within a multiplayer context of connectivity, persistent and publicly visible profiles, and awareness of other users.

Most, if not all, my sweet gaming memories come from single-player experience: Star Control 2, Ultima 6, Ultima 7, TIE Fighter, Wing Commander series, StarCraft, Quest for Glory series, Gabriel Knight, Ultima Underworld, Fallout......

On the other hand, my crappiest gaming experience come from multi-player, like being wasted with a single Fireball spell by a Diablo cheater.

Oh, and multi-player RTS is not always THAT fun compared to single player campaign; I found that micromanaging your buildings and productions in order to be the first player who achieve Zerg Rush / Tank Rush / Whatever Rush is way less fun than following the campaign's storyline and characters.

But who am I anyway? After all, I'm just another introverted Joe whose hobby can be described as "mutant monster only made possible by unconnected computers". Besides, I merely belong to a measly 33% of the market, do I not? Surely the great and holy gaming companies like Electronic Art$ or Vivendi can just ignore *unimportant* consumers like me. 😵

(You know folks, there are reasons why I buy fewer and fewer games these days...)

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 19, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What a load of old bollocks. There's never been a single player gaming experience that wasn't in some ways defined and augmented by connecting to other players. As far back as the ZX81 days, people sent in cheat programs in the form of code to be inputted char by char, line by line to enable unlimited lives and such. The same is true of the C64 and Amiga days when people sent in maps of completed game sections into ZZAP64 and Amiga User. These traditions, however changed and distorted by the times around them, still continue with the current single player experience.

The single player experience will continue to thrive no matter how connected the world becomes.

Reply 2 of 19, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dh4rm4 wrote:

The single player experience will continue to thrive no matter how connected the world becomes.

Amen to that. Despite I don't like FPS too much, for instance, Half-Life 2 is definitely a trend I want to see to continue, while Quake III Arena is not.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 3 of 19, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"The single-player game is a strange mutant monster which has only existed for 21 years and is about to go away because it is unnatural and abnormal."

Excuse me?! Since when have we all stopped enjoying SP games?

"Modern market research data shows that the myth of the solitary gamer bathing in the glow of their cathode ray tube is just that, a myth."

Wow! I didn't know that most of us are a myth...!!!

"The types of games these players prefer? Action games and computer role-playing games (which it should be noted have very little to do with face to face roleplaying, when regarded from a mechanical perspective, being mostly about acquisition and power fantasies)."

I always play a little bit of everything. Oh, and games usually ARE about fantasy worlds and sense of power, since the player IS in control.

"These four Myers-Briggs types represent only 33% of the American population. More significatly, they represent only 19% of women"

Ok... What about the rest of the world? Aren't they part of the equation?

"These days, the forums attached to a game are part of the gameplay experience. The collaborative building of walkthroughs is part of the game. The sharing of screenshots is part of the game. The trading of user-created game assets is part of the game."

Since the days of DOS, me and my friends always traded knowledge, tactics, secrets and tips about the games we played (and still do!).

"But they won’t be the single-player game as we know it today. Some compare these sorts of experiences to books. But books are also enjoyed as social activities today — they are traded in book clubs, they are read in classrooms, they are recommended on television and argued about in newspapers. Few books are truly enjoyed as solitary experiences except on a truly momentary level."

We can actually share a book, but it's not common to read it out loud for everyone around or having someone staring over your shoulder while you read. Now THAT is absurd!

"Single-player gaming is doomed, because already today, the large crowd playing Solitaire is doing it online, whilst chatting in a chat room, because they can"

Oh no! Solitaire folks are doing it online and chatting at the same time! We're doomed! 🤣

That guy is simply obsessed with multiplayer and seems to have a grudge with SP games. Period.

Reply 4 of 19, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh, fucking consoles are to blame. The are starting crappy game tendencies. How I hate them, meh. 😁

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 19, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Many times I deal with difficult people at work - having your network down doesn't bring out the best in many, so when I come home from work and want to unwind with a game the last thing I want is social interaction with others.

I can understand that playing against a person would be superior AI than anything that can be obtained by programming techniques today, but it's getting there. F.E.A.R. has enemies jumping though windows or hiding around corners, so it has came a long way from the mindless enemies in Doom rushing at you.

My experience with mulitplayer hasn't been positive. I tried a PVP character on my kid's WoW account. I found that most of the time that people would wait until they had a distinct advantage before attacking you. Once I can remember a wizard shooting fireballs at me from up on a hill that was unable to be climbed. By the time I went around the long way I had just a sliver of health left before I was within melee range of him. Many other times I would see PVP players wait until you were badly weakened from fighting one of the in-game monsters, then they would attack. I found that to be much more common than a fair one-on-one fight.

Reply 6 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

meh. Multiplayer is teh suck. I prefer story in my games and gameplay that actualy affects the environment. I don't like leveling, depending on other people to have fun in a game (people suck...mostly), paying a subscription fee, relying on the internet to not have shitty bandwidth/congested when I try to play, seeing ads, worrying about hax0rs/crapware getting into my computer becuase I'm playing the most popular online game, etc.

The only multiplayer I could ever stand were BBS games and MUDS or LAN games. That's it. I haven't played BBS games in years, I haven't played MUDS in years and I can't remember the last time I went to a LAN game.

The most social I ever get with my gaming is talking about games on this forum, downloading NOCD cracks, occasionally (not very often at all) talking about games to a few friends, and reading RSS feeds.

Any game that requires an internet connection to be used will not be played by me until all of the above and more has been fixed.

I do plan on focusing more on Dosbox multiplayer testing in the future though......

Last edited by DosFreak on 2007-07-20, 15:44. Edited 2 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 19, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You forgot mentioning cd-keys, activation processes, downloading updates and the like. Other than that, a well explained post. I agree with you, DosFreak.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 8 of 19, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

The only multiplayer I could ever stand were BBS games

You mean STGOD, where each player posts the act of their character in a "game thread" while interacting with each other in a collaborative story?

Reply 9 of 19, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@ Xian97, DosFreak & eL_PuSHeR:

I feel the same as you, guys!

Wouldn't get myself on the web playing against unfamiliar humans (many of whom cheat, play without a code of honor and behave childishly, among other things) after spending an entire day dealing with people from work. Considering all the obstacles already mentioned, I would have to get a REALLY good experience out of it to make it worthy of my time!

One exception, IMHO, is when you get to play online with one (or several) of your best friends. If that condition is met, then almost certainly it will be worth it, as you would be playing with people you trust and care about, and there's hardly a better experience to be had!

The ultimate experience to be had, and I'm REALLY proud to say I had it a couple of weeks ago (only wish I could have it more often), is playing in the same room with 2 of your best friends. The 3 of us played Micro Machines V4 (PC) with 1 PSX controller each for 1 whole afternoon, and I have to admit it was the most fun time I've had in years!!!

Regarding the single player/solo experience, the most shining example (again, IMHO) is Ultima Underworld. How many games teach you about survival, social interaction and it's consequences, friendship, truth and honor?
Not to mention that this game is responsible for making me learn how to read/write with (a little) fluency in English (used to keep a dictionary at my side while playing).

Reply 10 of 19, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xian97 wrote:

I can understand that playing against a person would be superior AI than anything that can be obtained by programming techniques today,

I beg to differ, since IMO it also depends on game mechanics --there won't be much "human AI" if the other player beats you simply because he's better in micromanaging his building sequence or better in enduring repetitive tasks in order to be the first who achieve Zerg Rush or Level 31 or whatever.

Turn-based games, however, is another thing. Probably.

Reply 11 of 19, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven't played any RTS multiplayer, but I can see your point in micromanagement and game mechanics. I was referring to the AI in a FPS which is the only thing I have played multiplayer besides a couple MMORPGs. A human has the ability to think outside the box, to do the unexpected, something that is very hard to script. F.E.A.R. has been what has impressed me most lately, with the enemies overturning a table to hide behind, ducking behind columns, and trying to outflank you. It's still not as unpredictable as a human opponent, but the AI has came a very long way in the past decade. For me, that's a good thing since I still prefer solo play over multiplayer.

Reply 14 of 19, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xian97 wrote:

I was referring to the AI in a FPS which is the only thing I have played multiplayer besides a couple MMORPGs. A human has the ability to think outside the box, to do the unexpected, something that is very hard to script.

Agree, and a good game design should allow such "human elements" to enhance gameplay instead of dumbing down the gaming experience to micromanagement or memorizing weapon spawn points. Too bad it seems there are more cases of the latter instead of the former --don't you think it is ironic, for instance, that many MMORG players are employing bots to perform things like collecting gold / treasure or churning out items, in a game whose primary selling point is "interacting with other human players"?

Reply 15 of 19, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi KAN!

Thank you for informing me about my mutant existence! I always had the feeling that something is wrong with me... (last time was, mhm... at the local optician - I just wanted a sunglas, but this fellow insisted on selling me two...)

Anyway - I hope I didn't miss it - but where did you get this strategy paper from? Because I think that's what it is - a strategy excerpt, a plan. At the beginning the Churchill Club is mentioned , which is a Silicon Valley business club where CEOs exchange their ideas (of things to come ) - correct me if I'm wrong. Those CEOs of cause want to know where to put their money in, and that's what this article pretends to be the answer to. It's just covered as a provocation to geeks/mutants/introverts like us, but in fact the most of it is written to charm the audience at Silicon Valley ("- me, at the churchill club").
I also find it interesting, how the author avoids any deeper analysis of questions like narrative structures, storytelling, identification, player perspective. When he feels that those questions could arise, he just defames the questioner:

It’s notable than many of the objections to my sweeping statement centered around affection for story — not around affection for gameplay.

A simple rhetoric trick. The author puts a lot of provocative statements, unproven assumptions and not retraceble statistics together - and there it is: the answer for everything.
(By the way: isn't it funny how he favors the "human interaction" over the introverted "single player experience"? Maybe he should have a brief talk with somebody of "Everquest Widows Unite": http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/EverQuest-Widows/)

But finally this answer may - from the CEOs point of view - not be completely wrong.
Because you simply can make more money with multiplayer games like WoW (not by the game itself, but by the accounts, the merchandising, the expansions a.s.o.)
Or do you really think that people in forums like this are of any major interest to them?
No - "introverts" who spent their nights in front of old CRTs to play games ten years old and older; that are talking about how to get a roland sound expander working, that was constructed two decades before - those people are only of interest to their local energy supply company and their...optician.

Reply 17 of 19, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't like multi-player. It's just not as fun as single player. I really do not like where the gaming markets heading. Why isn't Sierra making great adventure games anymore. Half life from one of the greatest companies ever that is a huge laugh. Eragon is a pretty good game but it's way to short and easy. EA is making lousy games now and ID has not done anything right since doom 2. 3d realms is still making duke forever and it's taking forever. Epic has been making junk since jazz 2 which is great.
Epic,ID and 3drealms are hardly doing anything. Sierra and EA are atleast doing something. All of these companies have made great games.

Reply 18 of 19, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Epic's efforts on the new Unreal Engine 3, Gears of War and Unreal Tournament III, not to mention Unreal 3 would hardly be classified as 'hardly doing anything'. Epic are one of the only companies who bother to create decent first person FPS and multiplayer games with smarter bots so the single player can enjoy them too. However, I do agree that 3DRealms and ID have wasted our time with Prey and DoomIII/Qualke IV - none of those games were up to par and all three were basically the same game with minor tweaks in scale and mapping effects to differentiate them. None of those games incorporates good level design, smart AI or replay value and frankly, I've hated the Doom3 Engine since it was released. It's clunky, ugly and scales pathetically.

Sierra and EA are doing things yes, but mostly what they do is repackage old games and resell them to you with newer features. It is true that Steam and EA Link have great potential to bring underground single and multiplayer titles to unsuspecting audiences but before that happens a whole swag of older titles are being pushed through the mill...

What we need is a whole new company to produce only single player games.

Reply 19 of 19, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dh4rm4 wrote:

..and possibly their therapists. 😉

Not for sure. If you really want to make bucks as a therapist, you have to concentrate on multiplayers:

First it was the Exile series, then along came WoW. I learned by lvl 30 that this was going to eat me alive and I stopped playing, my girlfriend unfortnatley continued on to lvl 70 smiling the whole time as we spent months together in the same house and never saw each other.

(taken from: http://www.wowdetox.com/) : 🤑