VOGONS

First post, by dmruschell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently bought a “tested working” Voodoo5 that wasn’t. It was a good price, and even better since I got a full refund without needing to return the card. So, I’ve been trying to fix it.

The issue is that with both VSA chips enabled at stock speed, there is striped artifacting in D3D and a bit more random artifacting in Glide. Most of my troubleshooting has been in D3D, but I’m fairly certain the cause is the same regardless of the API.

In D3D, it appears as though the artifacts are missing textures. The background will render, but the object textures will be transparent, allowing the background to show through.

If I select Single Chip Only in the AA settings, the artifacting disappears. If I downclock the card from 166 to 160MHz, the artifacting lessens. If I downclock to 156MHz, the artifacting disappears.

What I’ve done:
I replaced all 4 memory chips around the rear VSA chip (the one nearest the power connector), as I’ve seen in posts and repair videos that the rear VSA is the one that is disabled when selecting Single Chip Only. I replaced them one at a time with no change.

I also replaced a missing 10uf cap, a dented 10uf cap, replaced the missing 100uf cap, and replaced the slightly dented 470uf cap.

None of this changed the artifacting. I did not find any loose pins on the chip near the power connector and pressing on various parts of the card did not affect the artifacting. Though, a loose pin wouldn’t be fixed by downclocking.

So, I’m reaching a point where I’m not sure what else to check or what else the problem could be. Of course, it could be that the VSA chip itself is going bad. I hope that’s not the case, as I don’t have the equipment needed to replace it.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on what to check next? Would failing 10uf caps cause this? Thanks in advance for your help. Here are links to videos of what the Artifacting looks like.

https://youtu.be/mLbGk8K00DA?si=8oj7gaeEq1RJENXx

https://youtu.be/LJ8GM875kYI?si=li5Ts-dudX6LDZRd

Reply 1 of 4, by dmruschell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As I should have done first thing, I looked more closely to see if any small components are missing and found a few.

C541
C543
C544
C545
C546
C555
R92

are all missing.

R528 was half knocked loose and wasn’t functioning.

I reattached R528 and have parts for the rest on the way. I also replaced every 10uf capacitor to the right of the second VSA chip. I’ll keep this thread updated in case that helps troubleshoot (though replacing missing components is the first thing that should be done, as that might be the whole issue).

Reply 3 of 4, by dmruschell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I replaced all of the missing components and it’s still doing the exact same thing. Aside from just replacing more capacitors (that all seem to be fine), I’m at a loss for what it could be besides the chip itself.

Reply 4 of 4, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you’re sure you’ve replaced all the missing passives, check for damaged traces, especially around where the missing parts were.

It might also be worth checking that there are no loose legs on the VSA-100, it wouldn’t be the first 3Dfx product that has suffered that issue. Perhaps try some pressure on the chips whilst running a graphics test to see if the symptoms change.