VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=276

Although not yet officially announced, word has reached us that LucasArts will be releasing a new games collection called 'The Entertainment Pack'. The collection features updated versions of Grim Fandango, The Dig, Full Throttle, and Sam & Max that will run on Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP!

Admittedly, there's already ScummVM for the hardcore fans out there, but the willingness of LucasArts to still support its older games and repackage them as a collection is very commendable. Having just endorsed the LucasFiles mod / fan creations website, this seems like another sign of LucasArts' new course. We'll let you know as soon as there's an official press release.

I'll believe it when I see it....and what about those of us that bought these games before? Bah.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, if someone buys it lemme know. I don't want to waste $$ on something that's not new...which I doubt that it is.

Reply 4 of 32, by bgbennyboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im probably gonna buy it soon. Theres already one report of someone saying theyve bought it and that it works fine on xp.
I was wondering if it was just the standard disclaimer listed for the pack with no real changes ( requires Windows 95/OSR2/98/98SE/ME/2000/XP) but if sam and max works out of the box they'll have had to have made some interpreter changes or at the very least made changes to imuse.

I'll try and get in contact with him today to try and confim it before I go out and buy it.

Reply 5 of 32, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why didn't they stick DOTT into the package ?? 🙁
If they had I would have bought it right away.
My bro lent my DOTT cd to a friend many years ago and I haven't seen it since 🙁 🙁 🙁

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 6 of 32, by bgbennyboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Probably because a DOTT sequel isnt on the cards at the moment whereas sequels to Full Throttle and Sam and Max are and if you look at what Tom Sarris keeps hinting at in interviews a Grim Fandango sequel may be planned too.

Last edited by bgbennyboy on 2002-12-16, 20:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 32, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Dig then ?
Never heard anything about a sequel for it.
Can't they can Grim Fandango ? I never really liked it 😒

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 9 of 32, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It was meant to be a movie at first but they didn't have the technique and made a game instead, or is my memory failing me ?
'Cause they could make it a movie now (even though they shouldn't).

Reply 11 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://wwhs.fangames.co.uk/entertainment-pack.shtml

What a waste of money.

Update: mymipage e-mailed LucasArts, and apparently they don’t have any plans for releasing in the US at this time. Never mind, though, as you Americans out there can order many things exclusively from the LEC site store, such as the recently re-added Monkey Madness pack. "Due to popular demand", apparently.

Reply 12 of 32, by bgbennyboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ha, its not too bad, its certainly a step in the right direction for LEC, people have been wanting new windows interpreters for years. I was pleasantly surprised by the graphics filters too, its a good pack and most importantly it all works out of the box without any setup, good stuff.

Reply 13 of 32, by Jake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I say: pfffft!

Just because the US isn't getting "The Entertainment Pack" doesn't mean we won't be seeing the updated classics. LucasArts paid someone to update Full Throttle and Sam & Max so they could start pushing them to raise awareness for their currently announced sequels. LucasArts is notoriously frugal, they don't throw wages at a programmer just to get a European compilation pack functioning properly. Its silly to say that just because The Entertainment Pack isn't headed for the US, the US won't be seeing the updated games.

For instance, the US never got the European-released "Monkey Island Bounty Pack" collection which contained Monkey 1, 2, and 3 all in one box. So, that was "never released" here. However, we did get the "Curse of Monkey Island LucasArts Archive Edition" which contained Monkey 1, 2, and 3 all in one box. So, if you'd asked a LucasArts representitive "will the US ever get the Bounty Pack" they'd say "no plans at this time," you'd all say "what a waste of money," and then a few months later, they'd go and put out the LEC Archive edition of CMI which is basically the same thing as the Bounty Pack, but with a lamer box.

The Entertainment Pack, however, already has one of the shittiest boxes I've seen in a while, so it's US equivilient will probably rock by comparison.

Last edited by Jake on 2002-12-19, 10:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 32, by NoGood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, a while ago there was some commotion about the old cardboard boxes being replaced by 'DVD-boxes'. I do not have a problem with that, as Snover said, it's the software that counts, and if it's cheaper with such a 'DVD-box', I'm completely won for it.

BUT, I can easily understand the advocates of cardboard boxes, as they are bigger, and most of the time filled with leaflets, or even small books, and/or other gadgets.

I guess cardboard and plastic (DVD) each has it's own advocates.

Reply 16 of 32, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, let's see..

Cardboard is made out of DEAD TREES. Plastic is synthesised out of chemicals. There is this 'amazing' technology called "Acrobat" that can allow manuals to be printed digitally instead of killing more trees to print them on paper. My big game boxes get thrown away, whereas all my jewel cases get saved (although they're all empty and in storage -- I've got 3½ 200-CD folders full of discs. Much easier this way 😜). You can fit more stuff on the shelves in stores, cutting down on the cost of storage. It's cheaper to print on glossy paper and insert them into the clear plastic flap than it is to print on cardboard. Oh yeah, plastic, especially prefabricated CD cases, are much less costly. 'Nuff said.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 17 of 32, by NoGood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

People don't want cheap, ecologically well-considered things like cd-roms with pdf files on them ... if it comes to reading a book.

People just want to sit in a comfy chair, with dimmed lights, a beer, and a bag of chips, with their legs stretched ... with a book in their hands, not a laptop!

Or what do you prefer? 😉

(btw, I don't care, I've got a sollution, don't read any books 😉 )

Homepage
Lombrosiana

Reply 18 of 32, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could always use a PocketPC or a Palm. *shrug*

Besides, RTFM has become a very popular acronym in a very short amount of time, leading me to believe that people don't read the manuals anyway. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.