VOGONS

First post, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As mentioned in the "Bought these (retro) hardware today"-thread, I picked up a Gateway system that was somewhat molested internally. Among others, the wires going to the front panel buttons were ripped off the switches. There are two buttons, one power switch (ATX) and one reset switch. Each switch is connected using two wires.

According to the information on the motherboard (Intel CA810E) and the manual, pins 5-7 go to the reset switch, and pins 6-8 go to the power switch.

If I look at the actual front panel connector, there are two pairs of twisted wires, one for pins 5-6 (blue and white), and one for pins 7-8 (yellow and brown).

What are the correct combinations?

And does it matter which of the two pins on each connector I use for the positive and negative wire?

Reply 1 of 4, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Positive and negative don't matter on switches. If the mobo connector is one big block, just look which wires go for example to the power switch and solder them in, if they are separate, solder whichever one you feel like. The computer cannot see the colors, so as long as the switch is connected in someway, it will work.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 3 of 4, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most likely yes. And if for some reason things don't work right away, it should still be no worry, since you most likely cannot break anything by trying out different combinations in this case.

8zszli-6.png