VOGONS

First post, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone, I´m having some problems with my retro pc. I have a Compaq Deskpro computer with ati xpert@work (3d rage pro) video card. My problem is, that this card doesn´t seem to support almost any display mode starting at 640x480 and up. In windows the picture is all good, but when launching for example Tomb Raider or Fallout the picture goes.... funky, about 1/4 of the screen is as it is supposed to be, then comes a stripe that should be on the other side of screen. Really difficult to explain... will take a photo of it later, I have tried scitech display doctor but even it doesn´t help at all. So does anyone have any experience with these cards, and info how to get a normal picture?

8zszli-6.png

Reply 1 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This might depend much more on your monitor than it does on your video card.

So, what monitor are you using? If it's some really ancient CRT, you'll have to lower the refresh rates to 56 Hz at 800x600 and 43 Hz (interlaced) at 1024x768. For DOS programs, I think you can use UniRefresh, but you might have to use it alongside SciTech.

Reply 2 of 8, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I´m using it with a 19 inch Samsung SyncMaster 957p, which afaik should display the modes correctly, or is this thing too new for some dos games? Fallout btw plays great on this monitor on my other pc, so at least it should work with older comp too?

EDIT: This screen does 160hz on 640x480, should be enough 😜

8zszli-6.png

Reply 3 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, first of all, what OS are you running on your Deskpro, and have you installed the drivers that came with your monitor? Maybe it's as simple as that.

Aideka wrote:

Fallout btw plays great on this monitor on my other pc, so at least it should work with older comp too?

The OSD menu in your monitor (that is, the one you access by pressing the monitor's buttons) should have an "Information" section of some sort telling you what refresh rate it is using.

Try loading up Fallout on your other PC and then using the OSD to determine the refresh rate that your monitor is using. Then load up Fallout on your older PC (with the same resolution settings), bring up the OSD again, and check what refresh rate it is trying to use. Perhaps this will yield some clues.

Reply 4 of 8, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am using Windows 98SE on the deskpro, monitor drivers didn´t come to my mind tho, because windows detects the monitor as SyncMaster and lets me select the resolution and refresh rate normally. When starting Fallout monitor osd says it is 60hz refresh rate, same as it is on my other computer. I tried to override the refresh rate using Power Strip, override works ok (i set it at 85hz), but still the picture is funky... Perhaps the vid card is broken somehow? Would be weird tho, since in windows the card works perfectly, i also have tried multiple drivers and the problem also occurs when booting just to dos. I also have a pci video card with s3 trio64 chip, might try that one too, but i have no idea about the performance of that thing?

8zszli-6.png

Reply 5 of 8, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen corrupted screens like you described on a lot of video cards. It's most likely a VESA compatibility problem. There might be ways to get it running, but in your case I'd suggest trying the S3 Trio first.

Reply 8 of 8, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and help! 😀 Unfortunately I haven´t got the time to test any tips yet, but will try them all when I can. As I said, the windows desktop looks just like it should on any resolution or refresh rate, and the problem only appears in games. Dos games i can understand, since VESA compatibility might as well suck with this card, but Fallout... Doesn´t it use Direct Draw since I´m trying the windows version? Goddamn Ati drivers from the past really must suck... 🙁

8zszli-6.png