VOGONS

First post, by Villanus

User metadata

Well...it must be that I'm a complete stupid, because when I use the last VDMSound version without updates and without Launchpad everything appears to work fine.

The problem is that i just bought an original CD version of Loom, that has to be played with the cd. I've tried everyhting with the Lauchpad (this has only brought me problems) but it does never function (with any of my gmes either!)

What brought me to download launchpad and different updates was that, VDM seemed not to detect the CD-Rom Drive and instead of running the game, it wrote on a "Dos-Screen": 'No CD-Rom Drive or MSCDEX not installed" and brings me back to windows. I don't know why it occurs and I hope lauchpad will not be necessary....

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 3, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You probably need the equivalent of MSCDEX installed. In LaunchPad you can check "enable low-level CD-ROM support", or you can load MSCDEXNT or SAPUCDEX (an excellent alternative to MSCDEXNT with better compatability) in a batch file that then loads the game executable.

Reply 2 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Villanus The problem is that i just bought an original CD version of Loom, that has to be played with the cd. I've tried everyhting with the Lauchpad (this has only brought me problems) but it does never function...

Like HunterZ said, you'll need to enable "Low-level CD-ROM support" on your VLP shortcut or use SAPUCDEX if that fails.

All digital audio, be it music, voices, sound effects...are simply audio tracks that are played directly off the CD. You might want to confirm that you can play audio tracks on your CD-ROM drive before anything else.

... (with any of my gmes either!)

Way too generic a description. If "nothing" works anymore, there's been some kind of catastrophic failure.

What brought me to download launchpad and different updates was that, VDM seemed not to detect the CD-Rom Drive and instead of running the game, it wrote on a "Dos-Screen": 'No CD-Rom Drive or MSCDEX not installed" and brings me back to windows.

Odds are, MSCDEXNT isn't good enough for LOOM. You may have to use SAPUCDEX and hope for the best.

I don't know why it occurs and I hope lauchpad will not be necessary....

You like doing things the hard way?

Actually, if all else fails. Try DosBox, it has MSCDEX support now. Not sure how well it will handle LOOM's unusual audio method...