VOGONS

First post, by L3onheart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I try to run FoTAQ, I get an error:

Not enough conventional memory

I can run it in a normal DOS box, with SFX only, but no MIDI.

Is there a way for me to free up the memory I need for it with VDM?

I have a XP 1800 with 256MB DDR RAM II running in Windows XP and a SB Live! Value

song.png
Desktop | Jedi Alliance | LuZo

Reply 1 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by L3onheart Not enough conventional memory

Does it require EMS? If not, disable it. Presuming you are using the GUI Launchpad, right-click on the .VLP shortcut, and remove the check from the "Enable Expanded Memory" box.

BTW, how much conventional memory does it need?

Reply 2 of 8, by DRECK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Conventional Memory????????

http://www.mrbillsadventureland.com/reviews/e … /flightamqR.htm

Minimum System Requirements: PC Only!

PC: 386 33 MHz; DOS 5.0 or Higher; 4 MB RAM; 582 KB Conventional Memory Available for the Game; CD ROM Drive (2X CD-ROM Drive Recommended); Microsoft CD-ROM Extensions 2.21 or Higher; 640 X 480, 256 Color VGA Graphics Card; Supports SoundBlaster, AdLib and Roland LAPC1 Sound Cards; 1 MB of Free Hard Drive Space for saved Games; Mouse Recommended

"Produced (1995) by .." 1995 It should be a DPMI-Game Dos-Extender!

And at amazon.de I found a picture of the Game"BOX?":

System requires 590 KB conventional memory
8MB Ram

This game is my current download 😉 Thanks! I've never played this game!

Last edited by DRECK on 2003-04-09, 16:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by L3onheart Well, I disabled EMS, but now the game just freezes up after the main titles...

That sounds like the "FixPopF" bug. Try right-clicking on the game's executable and choose the non-GUI version of VDMSound (the "Run with VDMS" that doesn't have the little musical note).

If it works that way, you can use the "Brute Force" method to work around this (bug in the GUI LaunchPad).

On your game's .VLP shortcut (created by the GUI the first time it's run), get it's properties, click "Advanced", go to the "Troubleshooting" tab, "check" the "Custom Configuration" box and paste the following into the open text area:
[VDMServicesProvider.config]
fixPOPF = 1

Reply 6 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by L3onheart That did the trick

...and there was much rejoicing....yea.

Vlad, could you please release an All-in-one-with-GUI updated VDMSound? Please? This FixPopF bug is driving me up the wall.

Reply 7 of 8, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The "bug" is in VDMServices.dll, not LaunchPad. I'll try to release a new LaucnhPad soon, though, which (unless I will forget) will explicitly set FixPOPF. There is already an updated version of LaunchPad somehwere on this forum that fixes the "long file names" issues that sometimes occured.
V.

Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

...and there was much rejoicing....yea.

Vlad, could you please release an All-in-one-with-GUI updated VDMSound? Please? This FixPopF bug is driving me up the wall.

Reply 8 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by vladr The "bug" is in VDMServices.dll, not LaunchPad.

OK, was going on memory. I remember that it was related to one part having the fix for PopF being enabled, while the other part had it disabled.

I'll try to release a new LaucnhPad soon, though, which (unless I will forget) will explicitly set FixPOPF. There is already an updated version of LaunchPad somewhere on this forum that fixes the "long file names" issues that sometimes occured.

Thanks, I think the FixPopF issue was a little higher of a priority. While it's great that you fixed the longnames issue, it's still best for people to keep their DOS games in a DOS-compliant directory. If, for no other reason, DOSgames installers will either choke or will demand those annoying "truncated" 8+3 replacement names.

Far easier all-around to just use the shorter names.