VOGONS

Across The Rhine 1944 by MicroProse

Topic actions

First post, by Oberst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone been able to successfully run "Across The Rhine 1944" by MicroProse on Windows XP-Home?

Reply 2 of 27, by Oberst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I lived in Chicago for 4 years, never heard of Binya Ramargadashalanibang, Illinois. Anyway, how were you able to get 1944 Across The Rhine to run in DOSBox. I'm obviously doing something wrong. 😒 Thanks for your time.

Reply 3 of 27, by curtlegion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey I can not get this game to install......any help would be appreciated.....Thanks.....It says I have a virtual mem error and then states that I have no disk space.....I have lots?????

Reply 5 of 27, by GS_Schimpf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also ran into this problem!
1944 Across the Rhine can't be installed as it reports 0 bytes left on my drive with DosBox 0.70.
I already tried the -freesize switch for mounting the c drive to no avail.
The game can't be run without being installed first.
Any ideas or hints?

Reply 9 of 27, by GS_Schimpf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, here you go. I'm not at home so I try to remember everything correctly:

1. just copy the whole content of the ATR CD in your desired directory

2. copy the contents of the directory with the exe files (not the root dir, of course) into your desired ATR directory, overwriting all files that you are asked for

3. run install.exe to make your display and sound settings (max. display setting that will work under dosbox is 1024x768, unfortunately, but performance is excellent anyways)

4. start the game with atr.exe and everything should work just fine.

5. Hope you have the manuals handy as the game is kinda complex without tooltips 😜

I love those old GAMES!!!! I just put the gamebox with all original content on the scales a few day ago: 915 grams!!!! Yeah, that were the good old days when you took home some wheighty box for your money and not just bought a piece of code via Steam 😁 LOOOL

Notify me here if something isn't working according to my guide and I will look for a remedy asap. Have fun with ATR!

Reply 10 of 27, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have done the copying of the root directory then the REQ directory with the exe's in them and I am getting error 81 and no such directory as C:\mem.$$$ I have nevr had as many problems with installing/playing a game as much as I have this - so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply 12 of 27, by you1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😎
Hi UK john
You’ve got it all correct, but don’t install game
Install dosbox (I always put it in C:\ not C:\programs)
Create a folder called games and place in C:
Create a folder called 1944ATR and place in games
Create a folder called ATR and place in 1944ATR
C:Drive
+ GAMES
-1944ATR
-ATR

Start up dosbox makes sure it detects sound
should see a line like this
"MIDI = OPENED DEVICE :WIN32"

Type at the Z:_

mount C C:\GAMES
You’ll get a massage “Drive C is mounted as local directory C:\Games”.

At the Z:_
Type
Mount D D:\ -t cdrom
You’ll get a massage.
“MSCDEX installed”.
“Drive D is mounted as cdrom D:\”.
All ok so far

Make sure Game cd is in your D drive
Copy all game files off the cd and paste into Folder 1944atr in C:\games
Copy all files in "REQ"and paste into folder REQ, Make sure it's just the files not folder,
Don't know why ,but if i copy the Folder REQ and paste into 1944atr it dosn't work for me.
This is where things can go wrong, in vista I had to make the folder REQ into a winrar and extract the files into 1944atr folder for the game to run

all ok so far

Type at the Z:_
C:
Type at the C:_ CD 1944ATR line should read C:\CD 1944ATR press return
Type CD REQ line should read C:\1944ATR\CD REQ press return
Type install line should read C:\1944ATR\REQ\install press return

If alls ok you will have the across the Rhine display (just remember) you should not have the option to install the game, the only options you’ll see are to set sound and video
Note you may see No virtual memory system doesn’t meet minimum spec or words to that affect “don’t worry its ok”.

When you’ve set these please remember to save setup including video always test these.
Exit display
The line C:\1944ATR\REQ will be in front of you
Type to add to line “ATR” C:\1944ATR\REQ\ATR

The game should run
If anybody has a manual since mines long gone Could you e mail cheers

Good Hunting 😅

Last edited by you1 on 2008-01-03, 00:35. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 13 of 27, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@you1 - Firstly, welcome - and thanks! If you had to register to give this answer I am very very grateful for your dedication to helping!

Will try your instructions and thank you for their detail! For a first post it was quite a helper - so thanks again! The net needs people like you greatly! Happy New Year! 😀

Reply 14 of 27, by you1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😎
Thks UK john if help is needed I'm here.
I would be most greatful if I've helped in anywhere if someone has the manual, there could pass a copy onto me,
From memory you could increase the main battle display window ,but i can't remenber what keys to use,
any issues with my method please get in touch
rgds
youone 😁
have a good 2008
good hunting

Reply 15 of 27, by you1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry this method is for Windows XPsp2 and vista using Dosbox 0.72
System spec
AMD2 64x2 dual core 4600 (2.52GHZ) 5.2ghz
2.00 GB Ram
Evga 590SLI M/B
corsair PSU 650watt
2x EVGA 8800GTS OC 650mb cards in SLI mode
4x 160mb sata drives
1 500m b sata drive (install with vista 32 bit )
coolmaster AL stacker tower
display = 32" monitor (XVS Hannspree)

Good hunting

Reply 16 of 27, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

you1, due to your information and GS_Schimpf's, along with the use of a DOSBox front-end called 'D.O.G.', I have been able to get the game installed and running in DOSBox! 😀 Thanks guys! I have the game manual somewhere but no ability to scan it, etc. But if you need any keyboard commands, etc, I will try and dig it up and let you know. I know it's a very complicated game, but I can normally play around with them and learn them and I find that enjoyable (sad ass I know!) Am amazed that such an old game allows for 1024x768 and above! By the way, what CPU cycles are you using in DOSBox? I am using 12000 and get the correct animation speed, but slow window expansion, etc!

Reply 17 of 27, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You1 - found my manual - it says F9 is for the Window Control Bar - is that what you're looking for? Just trying to return the favour - it took two hours to find the elusive manual, so i'd like to think we're now 'quits' 🤣! 😀

Reply 18 of 27, by you1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😎
That's good news UK_John good hunting, Your No way in Debt,
, I'm always glad to help.
Theres a few Across the rhine on e bay with all manuals etc for a few quid so I might buy a late Xmas gift for myself.

It's a GR8 program Dosbox only wish I had kept alot of my other old dos games.

Good Hunting 😅

Reply 19 of 27, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@You1 - I am glad I did keep most of my older games (have over 300!)!As long as five years ago, I saw that PC gaming was going to go on the slide in terms of quality! I am also glad ebay opened a retro section last year. Recently I got Terra Nova from Looking Glass Technologies and Darklands by Microprose for £8 and have nearly 70 hours between the two of them already! 😀 Good luck with getting a cheap copy on ebay. I have been known to buy older games on ebay just fo the manual - they still turn out good value! 😀