VOGONS

Win9x + VDMSound **ALPHA**

Topic actions

First post, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Chris has finished school (I think), so here goes. Seems to work more or less fine on Win98 in VmWare, so it should also work on a "real" Win98.

To install:

1) Very important - get VCREDIST.EXE from http://telia.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/v … nd/vcredist.exe (mirror at http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/vdm … nd/vcredist.exe) and install it. It should ask you to reboot when it's done.

2) Get the Win9x'd VDMSound (attached to this post) and unzip it in what will end up being the VDMSound directory (e.g. C:\VDMSOUND), then run INSTALL.BAT (registration of "VDMConfig.dll" should succeed, if not repeat step 1 above, reboot and try INSTALL.BAT again).

3) Edit AUTOEXEC.BAT as indicated during INSTALL.BAT (to make the VDMSPATH environment variable point to the installation folder) and restart Windows.

To use:

1) Go to the VDMSound installation directory (e.g. "cd C:\VDMSOUND").

2) Run DOSDRV.BAT ; ignore the error about the "Tip of the day". Do report any *other* errors.

3) Change directory to where the game is and run the game/application. VDMSound settings are port 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1. All virtualized, so it doesn't matter what values your soundcard actually has physyically, *always* use the values above.

NOTE: before running DOSDRV.BAT a second time (even in a different DOS box!) you should run VXDSBOOM.EXE first to completely unload VDMSound.

Cheers,
V.

NOTE: Jez jas complied the files updated since the original release along with the Win9x Alpha into a single zip. You will find that updated version here.

Attachments

Last edited by vladr on 2008-03-28, 17:08. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 206, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Congratulations to Vlad and Chris. I had the honor of the being the first downloader.

Of course, I figure it's only a matter of hours before we see numerous posts:

Where's the GUI?
This is more complicated than the other one...etc...

Heh.

Reply 2 of 206, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's alpha, for God's sake, stop bitching about the GUI! 😉
All the credit should go to Chris for this one, my input to this was minimal (the adaptations to VDMSound were trivial, the bulk of the work was the VxD).

Cheers,
V.

Reply 4 of 206, by Z_God

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Works for me too in VMware in Linux with 98 FE. It runs really slow for me though, the sound is skipping alot, but that is probably VMware and not VDMs9x.

Has anyone tried it in 95 yet?

Edit: Just tried it in 95 in Win4lin:

After clicking on install.bat I get the following error from RegSvr32:
LoadLibrary("VDMConfig.dll") failed. GetLastError returns 0x0000001f.
When loading vxdinit I get a VDD Error:
Failed to load configuration library (VDMConfig.DLL).

Last error reported by Windows:
(translated from dutch) 0x0000001f - A device connected to the system, doesn't work.

Please make sure that VDMConfig.DLL is in the current directory or that its location is in the PATH, and that it is a valid image.

The Win4lin sound drivers suck though, they might be causing the problem.

I also found out I had set the wrong vdmspath in 98 at first. Somehow it seems to work 50% of the time without that path set correctly.

Last edited by Z_God on 2002-12-16, 19:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 206, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For Win95: you need the latest DLL's from vcredist.exe. If you did install them then get DEPENDS from http://ntvdm.cjb.net/files/redist/ and open the DLL in DEPENDS to see what the issue may be.

Cheers,
V.

Reply 7 of 206, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover UNIFICATION!)

For the NT version I presume. Th Win9x version is just barely there. But yes, the NT version needs to be "unified", too many people downloading a piece here and there and wondering why it won't work.

The Gui needs to be standard, we're starting to see more and more Win9x "orphans" showing up who need it.

Reply 8 of 206, by Marauder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It works! I've been using SB Live before and it has pretty bad 8Mb E-MU Wavesynth. Now I loaded a 32Mb soundfont and fired up System Shock and I'm getting better music than ever. Vlad and Chris are my heroes 😀

But it's Alpha allright, it has crashed my machine(total freeze) four times, never while playing but after exiting from the game or after closing the dos window.

Reply 9 of 206, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Vlad & Chris...

Great work 😀 I've had mixed results though... although MadTV1 does have *some* sound, it doesn't have other parts of the sound, and the sound tends to hang. I'm wondering if it's relying on a SET BLASTER line in autoexec.bat. What exactly is this version of VDMsound emulating? SB? MIDI? Adlib? Could you give us the other ports, like the MIDI port, which it uses?

Also, are these ports fixed because it's an alpha, and they're just the defaults, or will they always have to be these values, because it's a limitation of the VxD?

Thanx.

== Jez ==

Reply 10 of 206, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apparently it was relying on the SET BLASTER variable 😀 Put 'SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330' in autoexec.bat and the sound works perfectly, _and the mouse works_!!!!! Great! Had to guess at what the low and high DMA, and the MIDI port was though. If that's being emulated at all yet?

== Jez ==

Reply 11 of 206, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for multiple posts...

Emulation of sound for MadTV1 was perfect. However, with Detroit (by Sierra), it locked up very quickly if I told it to use the Sound Blaster with 220/7/1. Telling to use Adlib was more successful, although it locked up after about 5 minutes. A few teething troubles? 😀

== Jez ==

Reply 14 of 206, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't had time to look at the Alpha but does this ver have a logging function?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 206, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*sigh*

This is with an AS40GT Motherboard with a Philips "Acoustic Edge" Soundcard (PSC706)

VXDSLOAD caused an invalid page fault in
module <unknown> at 0000:00000009.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=01f7 EIP=00000009 EFLGS=00010206
EBX=836b3000 SS=01ff ESP=0063fe2e EBP=0063ff78
ECX=05000000 DS=01ff ESI=81b7dc68 FS=4947
EDX=00000000 ES=01ff EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
00 40 06 65 04 70 00 65 04 70 00 54 ff 00 f0 28
Stack dump:
000001ff 004010fc 00000000 b5600040 0000bff8 dc680000 000081b7 78560053 6f6c7364 45006461 00004558 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000

Bombs out right after vxds1.exe is run and the message is typed out.

Reply 16 of 206, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you set VDMSPath properly?

In any case, Chris says:

I found a problem where the win32 thread ended up waiting on a semaphore that did not exist. I also found a problem where I was not returning the right thing on exit and caused the vxd to remain loaded. Attached is an updated version of vxdsound.vxd and vxdsound.asm. With this version it seems vxdsound can be loaded successfully 100% of the time (at least on my computer).

See attachment for new version of the vxd.

V.

Attachments

• Filename
    vxds0002.zip
    File size
    7.36 KiB
    Downloads
    4934 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 17 of 206, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jez wrote:

Apparently it was relying on the SET BLASTER variable 😀 Put 'SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330' in autoexec.bat and the sound works perfectly, _and the mouse works_!!!!! Great! Had to guess at what the low and high DMA, and the MIDI port was though. If that's being emulated at all yet?

The functionality is the same as XP. Actually all emulation DLL's are the same (except that I had to rebuild them as ANSI as opposed to UNICODE for Win9x). The only "different DLL" is VDDLoader.

V.

Reply 18 of 206, by Pege

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys, I could kiss you! Finally I can get my Xcom Apoc's sounds working with my SB Audigy 😁

Very nice job!

BTW my first post here, w00t!

If you're arguing with a stupid guy, make sure he isn't doing the same.

Reply 19 of 206, by Pege

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sry for double post, but this forum doesn't allow me to edit my posts...

Does it mess with my original sound card setup if I put "'SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330" in my Autoexec.bat? And does it allow other games to access my original sound card setup if I don't have the DOSDRV.bat running?

If you're arguing with a stupid guy, make sure he isn't doing the same.