VOGONS

First post, by Lago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have problems with the game "Christoph Kolumbus".
In the first try it didn't work, the installer said "Problems with Autoexec.bat" - because there was no such file in the main directory. I copied the files from Doxbox' Z folder to my mounted C drive, mounted the CD content (which was copied to a folder on my hard disk) as -t cdrom and additionally I added a path to the autoexec file which the installer wasn't able to add for unknown reasons.
Now ingame I have the following problem: The ingame font seems to be broken. It looks like this:
fontbroken.jpg

I already tried the suggestions in the newbie guide. I deactivated ems+xms, ems or xms, both. I played around with hwscale, output, priority etc. in the config file, but the font just looked more washed-out.
VGA is the only mode which is supported by the game (it's from 1996 IIRC).
I tried a bigger Memory size (16 to 32) but no change.

Now the strange thing: When I switch to fullscreen, the font is still mixed. But when I then switch back to window mode the font appears as it's supposed to be, but only for a milisecond. (the font is "highlighted" in white color then).
I tried to take a screenshot from this but wasn't able to.

Anyone who can help me? Oh, the list:

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 Pro

Processor type and speed: Athlon 64 3200+

Amount and type of RAM: 2x 512 MB Corsair PC-400

Video board w/ RAM amount and type: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, 128 MB

Sound board: Creative Audigy 2 ZS

Operating system: Windows 2000, SP4

Game name (and version, if applicable): Christoph Columbus 1.0

Reproducibility of problem: Always

Sound mode used: Haven't touched this yet... ok sound is the other problem - doesn't work yet. The game has no options menu for this either.

Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution) : Output=Surface (if this is meant? Anyway, in Windows 1024x768, game fullsize 640x480)

Version of emulatorDOSBox, 0.63

Attached my config file... thanks in advance 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    conf-file.zip
    File size
    2.36 KiB
    Downloads
    809 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Excellent post, Lago. Lots of details on what you did to get it work, which problems you are still having, and a nice hint about how the switching back momentarily fixes the problem.

Unfortunately, I do not have a good answer for you 🙁

Perhaps you can try different scalers (in dosbox.conf), and different resolutions (in Windows)?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 15, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agreed. Welcome to the forums, LAGO. I wish everyone would be so tidy posting on the forums as you. I have searched the web for patches for this game and I didn't found any. Who is the developer?

Reply 3 of 15, by Lago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
first of all, thanks for your answers 😀 I was able to take a "screenshot" of how it looks like with my digicam. Not the best quality, but I think you'll get an impression of how it's supposed to look like.

fontfixed.jpg

I tried all scaler modes and aspect=true as well, but the game just looked more washed-out. It was brighter and blurred.

It was designed by "Software 2000" which busted 2 years ago.

Reply 4 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm the font seems to be the wrong color.
it looks like the shadows were drawn of the letter ?
or is that just my imagination ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 15, by Lago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So there's no way to get the german version work properly? I haven't tested the english one yet but will try that later. Maybe there are some language files which just need to be replaced...
But if not I'm still looking for a possible solution 😀

Reply 10 of 15, by Doomman2008

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use this old thread, because my problem is the same as 7 years ago.

i can't also find the english version, which robertmo mentioned and which supposedly should work right.

or is there another fix now?

Reply 11 of 15, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

But when I then switch back to window mode the font appears as it's supposed to be, but only for a milisecond.

Some problem with the palette DOSBox vs video card?

1+1=10

Reply 12 of 15, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The game relies on a behavior of real video BIOSes where the upper 8 entries of the VGA palette are not initialized when setting mode 13h. It uses the upper entries for font and mouse pointer colors, and the DOSBox internal video BIOS sets them to black when mode 13h is set.

case M_VGA:
case M_LIN8:
case M_LIN15:
case M_LIN16:
case M_LIN32:
- for (i=0;i<256;i++) {
+ for (i=0;i<248;i++) {
IO_Write(0x3c9,vga_palette[i][0]);
IO_Write(0x3c9,vga_palette[i][1]);
IO_Write(0x3c9,vga_palette[i][2]);
}
break;

The colors in the game seem OK with the above change in int10_modes.cpp, but it might not be completely correct. I've only observed the behavior with mode 13h (M_VGA), I'm not certain about the other mode types. Also, the full VGA palette should probably be initialized at some point, as real video BIOSes do when they initialize at system startup.

Reply 14 of 15, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Would probably be more relevant to report results with DOS-era video hardware. The legacy support in modern video cards can be... spotty.

The problem does not occur in DOSBox when loading an S3, Tseng, Western Digital, Trident, or IBM VGA BIOS. I put in logging to confirm that palette indexes 0xf8 thru 0xff are not initialized when mode 13h is set.