VOGONS

First post, by narech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOS/32 Advanced DOS Extender v9.1.2has been released. The following mini-tutorial should help you getting started...

1. Installation
===============
Download DOS/32A binary distribution, dos32a-910-bin.zip, available from http://dos32a.narechk.net/index_en.html and unzip it into a directory of your choice.

2. Documentation
================
Read DOS/32A on-line docs which can be found at http://dos32a.narechk.net/manual/ . In particular, see "General Information", "User's Reference" and "Utility Programs" sections, they may answer many of your questions.

3. Usage
========
Copy files DOS32A.EXE and SB.EXE (located in the folder into which you unzipped files, subdirectory BINW) into the directory containing game executable. Start DOSBox, switch to that directory and type: sb -r MyGame (where MyGame is the name of the game executable). Start MyGame as usual. To see what DOS Extender (if any) MyGame is using, type at DOS prompt: sb MyGame.

For more info refer to:
[DOS/32A - User's Reference - Usage]: http://dos32a.narechk.net/manual/html/user/3.htm
[DOS/32A - Utility Programs - Bind Utility program]: http://dos32a.narechk.net/manual/html/util/1.htm

4. Performance
==============
Although DOS/32A should deliver optimal performance in its default configuration, there is a way to slightly improve disk throughoutput by increasing the size of the DOS Extender's "DOS Transfer Buffer". To do this start SUNSYS Setup Utility program (SS.EXE) on a copy of the DOS Extender (DOS32A.EXE) by typing at DOS prompt: ss dos32a. Once you've entered the GUI, use the following sequence of keystrikes to alter the size of DTB:

press <F2>, <End>, <Enter>, <-> (minus), <1> (one), <Enter>, <Esc>, <Esc>, <Enter> (at this point you will be back to DOS).

You can now use the altered copy of DOS32A.EXE when binding it to your games (as described in section 3 above).

For further info see:
[DOS/32A - User's Reference - Configuration]: http://dos32a.narechk.net/manual/html/user/4.htm
[DOS/32A - Utility Programs - Setup Utility program]: http://dos32a.narechk.net/manual/html/util/3.htm

5. Problems
===========
DOS/32A is known to be having problems running games which use older DOS sound drivers (note: this has nothing to do with your windows drivers). For example Gabriel Knight 1 and Little Big Adventure 1 are having trouble running with DOS/32A. An investigation is in progress to find out whether these issues can be addressed and resolved in the future versions of the DOS Extender.

Good luck and happy gaming!

- NK

Last edited by narech on 2005-11-11, 14:19. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 51, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, replaced some LE's stubs (from Watcom DOS4GW) and it seems it's working under DOSBox. It's astonishing to see a ms-dos game loading that bears a 2005 year statement printed on screen. 😁

Reply 2 of 51, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Yes, replaced some LE's stubs (from Watcom DOS4GW) and it seems it's working under DOSBox. It's astonishing to see a ms-dos game loading that bears a 2005 year statement printed on screen. 😁

I was thinking the exact same thing! 😁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 51, by lwc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The ZIP file has a file called changes.txt
Although the last version 7.2 is missing from there, 7.3 is mentioned with a list of updates (from 7.1?).
However, all of the updates use internal technical lingo, so it's hard to tell what actually changed that the average user should care about.

Reply 5 of 51, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Green flying pigs in delta formation emmigrating to the south, reduction of universal matter into poly-singularity due to permatutional permutation, and generally the end of the world are the suggested symptoms. Beyond that there are no known bugs at this time.

Sounds like something from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Looks like I need to spend some time in the poetry appreciation chair.

Reply 6 of 51, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOS32A seems to work pretty well - I tried it with many games including Worms, Blood, etc. and they all improve the performance. Not by much, but every bit helps.

I just rename the dos32a.exe to dos4gw.exe and overwrite the original file - or is there a way that works better ?

Reply 7 of 51, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the stub is embedded into the executable you can try the SB.EXE (enclosed in the DOS32A package).

Open a CMD.EXE window

SET DOS32A=<path where you installed DOS32A>
SB /R <exe to replace stub>

Reply 9 of 51, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think that isn't true. SB doesn't work for me if I don't specify a SET variable.

I have DOS32A in the C:\DOS32A folder. Executables are located in the BINW folder (inside DOS32A one). I guess that you don't need to set the DOS32A variable if you copy dos32a.exe and sb.exe to the folder where you want to replace a LE stub. But I find it rather untidy. 😁

Reply 11 of 51, by narech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right. To clarify: "none of the tools require the environment variable to be set" means that the compulsory SET DOS32A= command is no longer *required*, solving the ever annoying "... You need to reinstall DOS/32 Advanced DOS Extender on this computer" copy prevention message. The tools are still dependent on the files needed to complete requested operations. In particular, SB is dependent on dos32a.exe, stub32a.exe and stub32c.exe (depending on the switches used). SC is dependent on SB and all its prerequisites. SS may need config files from d32 folder. All of the tools will perform file checks at the point when those files are used, meaning that certain operations can be completed without some or all of prerequisites being available.

The "best way" of using DOS32A is of course the one which works best for *You*. The mini-tutorial at the top of the page is supposed to work for most people on most systems, without the nuisance of going through the process of lerning the "whys," "hows," and "whens."

Reply 16 of 51, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOS32a isn't a solution for all games, for those it works it works great but some games it doesn't work well at all. In those cases use the original DOS4G. I'm in the process of compiling a list of games that do not work well with DOS32A, not done yet tho.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 17 of 51, by narech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous wrote:

It's just i tried to sb -r those games and the result is a little unsable under dosbox. Moo2, especially chrashed almost immediatly natively under XP home and did eventually chrash under dosbox after aplying dos32/a. Works normally without modifications (but very slow under dosbox).

DOS/32A is not perfect, sorry. What is the error message when moo2 crashes in WinXP? Normally there will be "DOS/32A run-time (6001): ..." followed by plenty of numbers, what do these say?

Reply 18 of 51, by Guest

User metadata

Sorry. The message it sends when it crashes is
(translated)
The NTVDM CPU encountered the following illegal instruction
CS:03ff IP:0214 OP:617272

And it changes.
I think this is useless for your purposes since it doesn't apperar to come from
dos/32a. I tried redirecting the output of ORION2 to a file, but it is still empty after the error.

Reply 19 of 51, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Anonymous wrote:
Sorry. The message it sends when it crashes is (translated) The NTVDM CPU encountered the following illegal instruction CS:03ff […]
Show full quote

Sorry. The message it sends when it crashes is
(translated)
The NTVDM CPU encountered the following illegal instruction
CS:03ff IP:0214 OP:617272

You are running the game natively. I think he meant information how it crashes in DOSBOX.

Mirek