Common searches

Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned rat

Topic actions

First post, by ChaosDwarft

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello, again

I hace currently a windows XP Home edition (with service pack 2) as my OS.
Pentium IV 2.4 GHZ
+512MB of Ram

I been searching and looking in the forum and it looks like nobody asked or had this problem with the game (if anybody has it) 😒
Well i read the "help" document, i try to do what he ask me: change the compatibility. Then when i run the game it gives me this message:

heading:"16 bit Windows Subsystem"
body:"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applicaations. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application"

What does that mean? What do i need to do so i get it to work
😒 😁 😒

Thanks in advance for your answers

Reply 3 of 65, by Indagator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm, ChaosDwarft should be happy (a little happy anyway), can't even install the game... Suggestions anyone?

It says: "game" requires win95. Install win95 & try again.

Would like to play this one in Xp.

Tried the different Compat. modes (win95, 256-colours)

Reply 4 of 65, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ChaosDwarft wrote:
Well i read the "help" document, i try to do what he ask me: change the compatibility. Then when i run the game it gives me this […]
Show full quote

Well i read the "help" document, i try to do what he ask me: change the compatibility. Then when i run the game it gives me this message:

heading:"16 bit Windows Subsystem"
body:"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applicaations. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application"

What does that mean? What do i need to do so i get it to work
😒 😁 😒

Thanks in advance for your answers

Read this thread ASAP

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 65, by Indagator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I have read that sticky.

But i'm not interested in that error i'm only interested in how he got through the intaller.

Since it says please install win95 & try again. (No error)

Why?
I'm almost certain I played it on a Xp-machine (installed on a 98 then moved to xp). And I don't have my old 98-box anymore so I just wanted to know if he had a more painless way to install it.

Now maybe I've missed something & in that case i'm sorry (if so, what exactly am I missing in that sticky that's helping me with my question?).
It just seems that you're tired of people not reading stickys, infos etc. etc. And just didn't read my post very thourogh.

The site is excellent, this is actually the first time i had to register. Since I've always found answers (other people had the same problems & it got resolved or not). I actually had 6 questions this time & already found solutions for 5 of them.

Little offended, since I've been rummaging through the forums & read the stickys to. I realise that it says newbie since I registered yesterday, but I have been visiting for almost 2 years & have been a moderator in similar forums, so yes I understand that you might be tired of the tedious questions over & over again... But please don't tell me to "pi$$ off" before I deserve it.

Now maybe you can help me instead. If you have a 98-installation is there a environment variable for 98? If yes, maybe you could be so kind and type it down in a reply.

Only other thing I can think of is trying Ms. Application Compatibility Toolkit. Don't have any high hopes though.

Reply 6 of 65, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could try different compatibility tools. There's one in the Support directory on the 2000 CD.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 65, by Indagator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found it, but no success 🙁 . Don't think it likes Win Xp.
But I did use Ms. Application Compatibility Toolkit 4.*, for circumventing those nasty OS checks. Both with sothr & Magic the Gathering. It worked with Magic the gathering. Only thing needed was win95versionlie. But with sothr... Let's just say it got me on a T.K (Technical Knockout). So I think i'll just install Ms. Virtual Pc. And install it from there.

Thanks for the help though, at least I got Magic the Gathering & X-com 3 running (Thanks to some excellent posts). And hopefully Warhammer with some help from Virtual Pc. If that goes well, i'll post my specs & What I did.

Keep up the good work.
//Indagator

Reply 10 of 65, by karhu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess I'm giving this thread quite a bump, heh, but I recently started looking for a way to make this one work and found nothing crawling around on google. I run XP Pro, and I too get the "Install Windows 95 and try again" message. I have both the version from the-underdogs (the original?) and the '95 version on CD that came with the Warhammer Universe collection.

Using compatibility mode doesn't work. You still get the error. VDMSound is the same. DosBOX tells you that you need to run it in windows.

The one trick I figured out, is that the install script (warhamfb.ins) is in plaintext. You can follow it through the install process and see where it does the check for Win95. You can comment it out, or, like I did, just follow the script and do everything manaully. (Since you'll hit other snags) In there you can see what files you need to copy and where, and what registry entries need to be created.

Now, theoretically, that should work. But... it doesn't... for me at least. After 'installing' the game, (I even rebooted just to be sure the registry stuff took) I still get a "could not load .dll, file not found" error. The file is "DLL\WND.DLL". It is located at <wsothr>\FILE\DLL\WND.DLL, where it should be, although I've also tried copying the dll folder to lots of locations to see if it could find it elsewhere. My LocalDir and RemoteDir registry entries both point to the FILE\ folder, but I dunno, maybe there is another registry that needs to go in to XP somewhere else?

Anybody else have any advice or ideas?

Reply 11 of 65, by Sneaksie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1)Copy RMORPH folder contents to your windows\system32 folder.
2)Copy WARFB folder to C:\GAMES folder (or whatever folder you want, but then you'll need to change paths in reg file).
3)Create empty folder TEMP inside WARFB folder.
4)Create folder UPDATE inside WARFB folder.
5)Create folder BINARY inside WARFB\UPDATE folder.
6)Copy only files (not the folders!) from <your CD_ROM>\WARFB\FILE\BINARY to C:\GAMES\WARFB\UPDATE\BINARY folder.
7)Run the included file SOTHR.reg to register required dlls.
8)In your WARFB folder set for game executable compatibility option "Run in 256-color mode".
9)Run the game. If you want windowed mode, ALT-TAB from it and then select it from taskbar, it should stay windowed.

Attachments

• Filename
    SOTHR.zip
    File size
    492 Bytes
    Downloads
    2338 downloads
    File comment
    Reg file for the Warhammer: SOTHR.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 65, by excel-c-r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i did all this and it came SO close....
the game loads up, i talk to the guy in the caravan and such but when the battle screen in loaded up, its just black all over. the map,deployment, the thing that i keep click all appear and work fine. just the landscape part of the battle.
any ideas?
thanks for the above post. was a great help.

Reply 13 of 65, by paladin_uth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so
who wants the answer?
one of you was SO close its rediculas
heres what you have to do

get the install directory, nice and clean not one that has been played with

rename WARHAMFB.ins to WARHAMFB.txt

open the file
find the following lines:

Do ValidatePlatform

Do InstallDirectX

the first one checks for 95 while the second one will crash the installer as it cant handel new versions of direct X

all you have to do is add ;; to the front of each of these lines, save the txt file and rename it to how it was.

now install as per normal and select 256 color compatability and ENJOY

Reply 14 of 65, by excel-c-r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, well good news and not so. by doing the above instructions by editing the file it gets me past all the install questions and installs like a charm.

however, when i load the game up with the 256 colors it now gets past the mindscape logo intro but then stays black no matter how long i click 😀
thanks again for the input. getting the install to work is a good step.

Reply 15 of 65, by excel-c-r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

for reference 😀 Sneaksie posted the copyfiles post and paladin_uth posted the edit file post.

i did sneaksie last night and it didnt work, missing files etc when i ran it, after some messing about and copying every file it complained about to just about everywhere it worked until the battle screens,

i then did paladin_uth post and installed using minimal install but it couldnt get by the mindscape intro screen.

so i re-did sneaksie one since it got me a little further and this time it worked completely, maybe the install registered sum files in the system32 folder or sumthing but it seems to work for me now. ill post any problems i come across but other wise THANKS so much to the posters.
Ray

Reply 16 of 65, by paladin_uth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry i forgot to mention the FIRST time you s tart it up if you get a black screen, click dead centre of the screen really quickly a few times, then alt tab to windows, you will see a windoed version of the game, then simply click a few more times and it will load

from then on it will work perfectly you just have to be persistant/patient.

if you are using a 'riped' copy from nameless, you will have to wait longer as the first time the game launches it plays the intro and you cannot skip it
the riped version however thinks it is playing and will not progress untill the time has expired

specs

win xp sp2 home
2 gig centrino
gig of ram
geforece 6800 go

Reply 17 of 65, by Sneaksie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If it complained about many missing files, it means that registering failed (or paths were overwritten when you did minimum install). I don't know why, have you copied WARFB in C:\Games? If it was other folder, then you need to edit reg file accordingly.

Reply 18 of 65, by Yellows

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I've been trying for ages to get my Warhammer: Shadow of the horned rat PC version to work on my windows XP system. My problem was that the screen came up offering two options 'install' and 'exit' but whenever i click install nothing happens. I tried copying the files direct from the CD and followed Sneaksie's instructions which bore some fruit as the screen that came up now had the options play, uninstall and reinstall which suggests it recognises it as installed.

However when I click play it says: "Error ID: 2" then "failed to launch app"

I read Paladin's post but the only WARHAMFB file I have is an Internet Communication Settings file I copied straight from CD.

It may also be relevent that I did not have a GAMES folder in the C drive so created one, was this correct.

If someone could help me i'd be eternally grateful, this is so frustrating!!