Topic actions

First post, by Diskman

User metadata

😊

Reply 3 of 28, by Diskman

User metadata

😊
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
imgmount 2 c:\rwe\hdd.IMG -t hdd -size 512,17,10,962 -fs none
mount d c:\rwe
boot d:\hdd.IMG -l C

I Have MS-DOS 6.0 & Windows 3.1
On A 80Mb Hard Drive Image
I Made The Image With Microsoft Virtual PC Trial
I Made A Image HDD.VHD
And Renamed It To HDD.IMG
I Did All The Installing Under Microsoft Virtual PC
Then Booted It Under DOSBox-0.62

Reply 5 of 28, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

start in real/standard mode.

but dosbox can run 3.1 itself. no need to boot dos 6.0

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 28, by suggs_joy

User metadata

Ive been tring to boot 3.11 in dos box. I have been able to install it but can not boot. When I try to start I recieve a "video initialization failed You need to run the setup program again" message. I have tried all of different drivers in the setup and have failed to boot windows. Occasionaly i recieve a message "Unsupported expanded-memory driver already installed. Remove the driver from config.sys" whatever that means? Can anyone help me?

Reply 7 of 28, by Guest

User metadata

is it possible that because im running a destination monitor that only runs on a 800X600 resoultion. My properties lables the monitor as a Gateway Destination DL36 on SiS 300/305/630/540/730. im not sure what that means i spose i should just look it up. (i like my monitor, its a 36 incher)

Reply 8 of 28, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Set EMS to false in DOSBOX.CONF.
Use VGA version 3 driver (or whatever it's name is - I do not remember now precisely).
There is no mouse support in enhanced mode (and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 can be started only in enhanced mode).

Mirek

Reply 13 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, Support needs to be programed in. If you wish to use windows you'll have to install Windows 3.1 (not 3.11) and run it in standard mode.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 28, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

No, Support needs to be programed in. If you wish to use windows you'll have to install Windows 3.1 (not 3.11) and run it in standard mode.

What if you'd use a serial mouse, and use the COM-port passthrough feature? Just a thought 😀

JAL

Reply 17 of 28, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I do not remember now, but I think that mouse in setup was ok. You must just choose PS/2 mouse. Anyway: both setup and windows can be fully operated by keyboard (it is not so comfortable but it is possible).

No need to have real DOS installed or anything like that ...

Mirek

Reply 19 of 28, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmm - I have been thinking .... Is it about time that a "How to install and boot Windows 3.1 in DOSBox" is created?

It is one thing to create a 1000 HowTo's with details on how to install 1000's of games (in various diskette versions, CD-ROM versions, compilations, classic collections, etc) with all their quirks. It is an impossible task.

But doing it for a single product like Windows 3.1 (and later 3.11?) should be possible, right?

Is there any interest in such a docu-project?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions