VOGONS

First post, by Zarhan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded the latest Windows binary of the Dosbox w/MT-32 emulation, that is, http://www.artworxinn.com/alex/DosBoxMT32bin.zip.

However, I cannot get any of the Legend games to work with it. Wing Commander and Sierra adventures work fine.

I found this thread: MPU-401 Intelligent mode hinting that the Legend games SHOULD work, however, it's a bit unclear whether the comments mean the driver or the dosbox version.

Anyway, when I start, say, Gateway, with option MT32 2 330 (or whatever), the game just says an error about IRQ 2 and does not go any further. I remember seeing similar error message like 8 years ago when I owned a GUS and tried the MEGAEM-emulator with it...I was kinda hoping to finally hear the MT-32 musics with this one.

OS is Windows as you might have guessed. Thanks for all the help.

Reply 4 of 15, by Zarhan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mirekluza wrote:

DOSBOX.CONF lists all options. Just create new one (you are probably using some old DOSBOX.CONF).

Mirek

Well, I used the one that comes with Win32 installer (version 0.61). Havent changed other options than the number of ticks and added automounting of directories to the end. There is no "intelligent"-option.

Also, adding that option did not help. Still says "unable to access the MT32 on IRQ channel 2". Right now the midi-section of my dosbox.conf is as follows:

[midi]
# mpu401 -- Enable MPU-401 Emulation.
# device -- Device that will receive the MIDI data from MPU-401.
# This can be default,alsa,oss,win32,coreaudio,none.
# config -- Special configuration options for the device.

intelligent=true
mpu401=true
device=default
config=

Reply 8 of 15, by Zarhan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote:
Zarhan: you have to use dosbox from this thread (newer version): Dosbox & windows driver problem […]
Show full quote

Zarhan:
you have to use dosbox from this thread (newer version):
Dosbox & windows driver problem

intelligent mode was not implemented in dosboxmt32 before.

...No. Or at least, I'm not sure. I downloaded the installer from dosbox.sourceforge.net, installed and then overwrote it with the one at Canadacows(?) homepage, that is dated March 27. This one seems to be newer.

(However, I did strings dosbox.exe and there is references to "intelligent"-option). I'll download this version as soon as I get out of work, which will be about 7 hours... 😀

Reply 9 of 15, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"intelligent" option is in dosbox.conf. When you download new version, delete the old file and create new one by executing in dosbox:

config -writeconf dosbox.conf

Then edit the file and change "intelligent=false" to "intelligent=true".

Reply 10 of 15, by Zarhan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote:
Zarhan: you have to use dosbox from this thread (newer version): Dosbox & windows driver problem […]
Show full quote

Zarhan:
you have to use dosbox from this thread (newer version):
Dosbox & windows driver problem

intelligent mode was not implemented in dosboxmt32 before.

YES! It works with this one. This is great.

Reply 11 of 15, by pdigitalis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

there is a general timing error in midi sync with my real MT-32 sound module.
While most games like sierra and lucas arts adventures work without problems, the legend classics spellcasting 101, 201, 301 and several others
produce timing errors.
The MT-32 soundmodule shows the message "Exc .Buffer overflow". This means, the SysEx and Midi data is transferred too fast.

Until now, did not find a way to fix the problem.

Reply 13 of 15, by pdigitalis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hallo Robertmo,

nice answer, but I prefer a technical solution implemented in dosbox.
Because a Roland MT-32 ist freely programmable, it should be possible
to compensate it's shortcomings compared to {LAPC-I, CM-32L, CM-64, CM-500}.
Timing problems are easy to handle, if you want to:
- Get some kind of FIFO buffer
- Feed buffered data with correct speed to sound module

bye

Reply 14 of 15, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I guess that only a few people have real MT-32 to experience this problem, so I think it has very low priority...
Of course, I am sure that if you submit a patch, DOSBOX developers will be happy to include it.

Mirek

Reply 15 of 15, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bit 6 of the status byte (one that program reads from status port - 331) is "data receive ready". This way, MPU-401 tells the program if it's ready to receive data (or command) from program. Because emulated mpu-401 handles all incoming data and commands immediately, this bit is always 0 giving green light to programs to send data.

This is the way to control speed, but I have no idea on how to know if real mpu-401 is "full" or not.