VOGONS

Common searches

Lion King

Topic actions

First post, by Spidey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the Lion King not too long ago, it's a game made for windows 95.
I already had trouble getting it installed but that windows xp compatibility thingy helped me get out of those problems. Now when I start the game I get this error (both with and without the compatibility thingy):

Application Error: C:\Disney\classic\LionKing\LIONW.EXE
The instruction at 0040cd67 referenced memory at ffffffff
The memory could not be read from
Click on OK to terminate the application

I know it's because of windows xp because I also tried to run the game on my cousin's pc which has windows 98 on it and it worked perfectly. I get the same error when I try to run Aladdin or Jungle Book and probably other Disney games aswell. Any idea's what I can do?

Reply 1 of 23, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Spidey, Lion King is a DOS game, it runs perfect on win 98 because DOS is running on background. Try dosbox, it should solve your problem under win xp.

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 2 of 23, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually they made a DOS and Windows version of the Lion King.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,3/gameId,2077/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,2/gameId,2077/

Aladdin too if I remember right at about the same time. I will try the Lion King when I get home, I know I have the Windows version running on the kids 98 pc, hadn't ever tried it in XP.

Reply 3 of 23, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Xian. You may try it under XP, but it's gonna crash. I tried it here, i got win xp pro on my machine, and it only wored perfect on dosbox 0.61

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 4 of 23, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the W at the end shows that we're talking about the windows version here.
But Dos_boy is right. Try the Dos version in DOSBox.
Not the windows variant.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 23, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Running on DosBox 0.61 @ 9000 cycles... the game runs smooth and sound is superb

Attachments

• lionking.JPG
    Filename
    lionking.JPG
    File size
    48.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 23, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You were right Qbix, I have both versions, the dos and windows ones. The dos version works fine in dosbox but the windows version will only run on Windows 9x, not XP or 2000.

Spidey, you will need to find the dos version and run it in dosbox on XP or else run the windows version on a Win98 machine instead of XP.

Reply 7 of 23, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Spidey wrote:
I got the Lion King not too long ago, it's a game made for windows 95. I already had trouble getting it installed but that windo […]
Show full quote

I got the Lion King not too long ago, it's a game made for windows 95.
I already had trouble getting it installed but that windows xp compatibility thingy helped me get out of those problems. Now when I start the game I get this error (both with and without the compatibility thingy):

The instruction at 0040cd67 referenced memory at ffffffff
The memory could not be read from
Click on OK to terminate the application

I know it's because of windows xp because I also tried to run the game on my cousin's pc which has windows 98 on it and it worked perfectly. I get the same error when I try to run Aladdin or Jungle Book and probably other Disney games aswell. Any idea's what I can do?

Wait a sec, you have the Rare Windows port of The Lion King?

Can I see what the CD-ROM For it looked like?

Reply 8 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Wait a second! You necropost in a ten years old thread? Instead of using private message? Wow 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 23, by Holering

User metadata

Suprised there's a Lion King game for PC DOS/Windows. It's probably better too.

How many other console games got PC ports?

Qbix wrote:
Application Error: C:\Disney\classic\LionKing\LIONW.EXE […]
Show full quote

the W at the end shows that we're talking about the windows version here.
But Dos_boy is right. Try the Dos version in DOSBox.
Not the windows variant.

Mom, you give the best help all the time. You take really good care of us (and you still look young)! Any chance we'll see a new dosbox release?

Reply 13 of 23, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Never heard of Windows versions of Disney games. A Stunt Island Windows version would kick ass.

Guess what, I've finally fount the disc containing the Windows versions of Aladdin, The Jungle Book, and The Lion King on eBay for a good price and I will be doing a unboxing video and short playthrough of the Windows ports on YouTube once it arrives on my Am5x86 PC

Reply 14 of 23, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dakkiller wrote:
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Never heard of Windows versions of Disney games. A Stunt Island Windows version would kick ass.

Guess what, I've finally fount the disc containing the Windows versions of Aladdin, The Jungle Book, and The Lion King on eBay for a good price and I will be doing a unboxing video and short playthrough of the Windows ports on YouTube once it arrives on my Am5x86 PC

Nice! Waiting for it.

Reply 15 of 23, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:
Dakkiller wrote:
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Nice! Waiting for it.

Its all the Windows Ports (Though The Jungle Book does have a DOS Executable though the sound isn't working on there for some reason)
Oh, and the Windows Versions uses MIDI instead of MOD Music for some reason

Last edited by Dakkiller on 2022-08-21, 18:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 23, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Do you have the opportunity to test if the games work in Windows XP+ (I doubt they do)?

I might test on my new Windows 8 machine (Since I no longer have a machine for running Windows XP)

Reply 19 of 23, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
exofreeze wrote:

I'm interested to hear about how they compare.

I look at Aladdin and The Lion King for Windows 95 (I didn't look at The Jungle book though)

Last edited by Dakkiller on 2022-08-21, 18:17. Edited 1 time in total.