VOGONS

SB 2.0

Topic actions

First post, by eTaurus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it or will it be possible to emulate the Soundblaster 2.0?? I have an old game that only plays sound with SB 1.5, 2.0 and MCV 2.0 (whatever that means).

Reply 4 of 43, by eTaurus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a question concerning SB 2.0 and when Qbix tells me that DOSbox emulates it as default it is ok. But if you are really interested in my problem: Pizza Connection is the name of the game. It only accepts SB 1.5, 2.0 and MCV 2.0.

Last edited by eTaurus on 2004-04-14, 20:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 43, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nevertheless we still would like to know the title of the game. There are many different solutions and maybe one of us already knows the one for this game, or one of us will be able to figure it out. Or maybe you have found a bug in dosbox.

Reply 6 of 43, by eTaurus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the gruffy tone in my reply. Yes, I am inexperienced, both in programming and in the english language. I misunderstood Reckless's post.
But back to the problem: The game has no setup, where you can choose a soundcard. After starting it one can read that it only accepts the cards mentioned above and that it is preconfigured at 220 Hex and Interupt 80H. I have no idea what that means but probably it helps you to solve my problem. In my old DOS machine I had to set the jumpers according to these values to get sound.

Reply 8 of 43, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He says in his post that it's called Pizza Connection - I've never heard of it. Now don't you all feel stupid for not reading more carefully 😜

Are you sure it's Interrupt 80h? That doesn't really make any sense... Most SB cards default to IRQ 5 or 7 and certainly can't go much higher than 9 or 10.

Reply 10 of 43, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,2/gameId,1827/
Pizza Tycoon - ("Pizza Connection" -- European Release)

my version of Pizza Tycoon says:

C:\MPS\PIZZA>sound\sound.com >nul
Creative Sound Blaster FM-Driver Version 1.34
Copyright (c) Creative Labs, Inc., 1990-1993. All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) Creative Technology Ltd, 1990-1993. All rights reserved.

SB16 / SB Pro 2 / MCV Pro 2

Driver's I/O address set at 220 Hex
Driver installed at INT 80H.

C:\MPS\PIZZA>pt
DOS/4GW Protected Mode Run-time Version 1.95
Copyright (c) Rational Systems, Inc. 1990-1993

my version also has install.exe where I can configure sound and music, set address, irq, dma.

eTaurus: are you sure you gave us correct information?

Reply 11 of 43, by eTaurus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I get exactly the same screen. I searched the directories and I only found
"pizza.bat" which executes "sound.com" and then "pc.exe". "pc.exe" starts the game. Moreover there are "hiscores.exe" and "dos4gw.exe". There are no more executable files. There is only one more file with a known ending and that is "sound.drv". I always found it quite unusual to write a game without setup.

Ooops, not really exactly. It is partly in german but the crucial things are clear I think. By the way: I use the "d-fend" frontend.

Attachments

• snap0001.png
    Filename
    snap0001.png
    File size
    5.54 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Screenshot from german version.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 43, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I set the game sound config as SB16 with usual defaults, ran with DOSBox 6.1 and music started playing... however it stops playing when you click on a menu item.

Game looked pretty ancient so I didn't spend long looking at it 😀

Reply 15 of 43, by Iron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmh.. I have the original pizza tycoon so it's the english version I guess..
And Yeah I too think that this game is very good! I spent ages playing this one too. But my copy has install.exe where I can set the options.
so I think I'll go play this right now.. gee what a fun game. and it's not ancient either.. just lots and lots of fun 😀

But well. I can run it without dosbox too as I can most other games..actually I haven't had problems running any newer dos games on windows2k or XP.. x-com original version worked fine too.. dont know what's different here compared to those people that seem to say dos games dont work with new windows stuff.. just speed and sound might be problems. but there are tools for those too. I like the way dosbox is going though.. older programs work well and I can watch old demos, with GUS sound. that's good I say.. very good.

Reply 16 of 43, by ped7g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

and I can watch old demos, with GUS sound. that's good I say.. very good.

Not just very good.... HELLUVA KEWL FOKKING EXCELLENT BRILLIANT SUPER.... 😁

If my system would do more CPU cycles under DosBox, I would probably seriously love DosBox authors just for the ability to run old DOS+GUS scene demos.

--
it's not you, it's me.

Reply 17 of 43, by Gubbl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for pushing this really old topic, but the problem still exists and I really don't know how to fix it.

Here a short description of the problem:

Name of the game: Pizza Connection (europe version, I don't mean Pizza tycoon)
The installation is no problem, the game is running fine on dosbox. But there is no sound. And I wanna know why.

The screen posted by eTaurus is still the same as it was in 2004. The game says:
driver I/O adress 220 HEX
driver installed on Interrupt 80H

But the sound is not playing. There is no soundconfiguration where you can configure the parameters but it is nessesary to run the sound.com before starting the game.

I have tried it in a virtualbox with running MS Dos 6.22, but virtual box only emulates AC 97 Sound and Soundblaster 16 Sound Device without the Adlib FM-Features of the card.

Here is some quote of the readme file from an old SB driver:

4. DOS DRIVERS The installation program adds the following statements into CONFIG.SYS. DEVICE=C:\[Path]\DRV\CT[SOUND].SYS /U […]
Show full quote

4. DOS DRIVERS

The installation program adds the following statements into CONFIG.SYS.

DEVICE=C:\[Path]\DRV\CT[SOUND].SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5
DEVICE=C:\[Path]\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS

Note - [Path] refers to the directory path where the Sound Blaster
software is installed. We refer to this as the "Sound Directory".

[SOUND] is "SB16" for Sound Blaster AWE32 and Sound Blaster 16
cards, "SBPRO" for Sound Blaster Pro card, and "SB2" for Sound
Blaster 2.0 card.

/BLASTER specifies the base I/O address, interrupt number
and DMA channels set for the Sound Blaster card,

Where:
A Specifies the base I/O port
I Specifies the interrupt request line (IRQ)
D Specifies the Low DMA channel
H Specifies the High DMA channel

CT[SOUND].SYS and CTMMSYS.SYS are the low level drivers providing Wave
playback and recording for Creative's DOS applications. They are only
required by:

a. DOS utilities, PLAY.EXE and RECORD.EXE.

b. DOS Utilities QSDEMO.EXE and QSALIGN.EXE for SBAWE32 and SB16
with Advanced Signal Processor.

c. Third-party DOS applications developed according to Creative's
Sound Blaster Developer Kit 2nd Edition. These applications may
work with some of the high level drivers like CTWDSK.DRV,
CTWMEM.DRV, CTVDSK.DRV and CT-VOICE.DRV found in the \DRV
subdirectory under the Sound Directory.

Make sure that the two drivers are installed properly if you wish to
use the above software.

If you are running applications in Windows or playing computer games
that use their own sound driver, you do not need to install these two
drivers. You can delete the above two statements from the CONFIG.SYS
using a text editor.

If you discover that you need the low level drivers later (some
software or drivers use them), you can run DIAGNOSE.EXE with an
additional switch '/A' to have the low level device drivers added
into your CONFIG.SYS files.

(i.e., type DIAGNOSE /A and press <Enter>). DIAGNOSE will add the
lines required in the CONFIG.SYS file.

Note - Please refer to the following section on how to optimize your
memory with the low level drivers installed.

If your audio card comes with the Creative Advanced Signal Processor,
the installation program will add the following statement before the
two low level drivers.

DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CSP.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220

CSP.SYS is the resource manager for the Advanced Signal Processor. You
will need this driver for your DOS and Windows applications. Without
it, your audio card will not be able to support the hardware audio
compression and other additional software (like Text-to-Speech)
offered by Creative separately.

The readme says that the first entries in config.sys are for low level drivers which are needed for old games. I think this old game pizza connection install the drivers directly before starting it. For example i get an error in the virtual box if no sounddrivers are installed and
SET BLASTER:A220 I7 D1
entry is missing in autoexec.bat, so the Blaster settings must be set in autoexec.bat and then sound.com can find all settings for itself and install the driver.

Is it possible, that dosbox don't understand this self installed driver and force the emulation drivers to work? Or is it possible, that in this emulation the emulated driver from dosbox can't handle an self installed driver of sound.com?

As i said before, sorry for pushing such an old thread, but I've been searching for a solution to play this game for about half a year. I tested Windows Virtual PC (that comes wih no integration features for dos now), VirtualBox and i will test VMWare Workstation in the next few days, but DosBox would be the best solution. We only have to find the problem why DosBox don't play sound.

Thanks for your help
Gubbl

Edit:
In fact there is no error in installing the driver with the sound.com. When i try to execute sound.com a second time it says: driver installed insteas of driver installed at interrupt 80H. So the problem is not an error in installing the driver.

Reply 19 of 43, by Gubbl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From an old CD i've burned. I took all old games there.

But please, I'm sure that all files are there and there is nothing missing.

I know that the american version of the game (pizza tycoon) have such a setup to set the parameters. But the sound.com is newer, there are more drivers submitted. But I'm sorry, it is not working with the german version.

I could send you the game via PM if you want. But only for testing and only for the guys who wanna test it out for dosbox. I don't want to do illegal things.

abandonware has a download for the american version, but as i said: the american version works, the german version not.