VOGONS

Common searches

redneck rampage with winxp..NOT with a dual boot

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 87, by ICBM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, apos for kicking this ancient topic but this seams to be THE main topic for Redneck Rampage.

I was wondering if someone allready found a solution for the Redneck Rampage sound debacle. A.T.M i have RR up and running with NOLFB in 1280x1024 but the SB emulation in XP as you all know sucks. (i can kill 5 enemies by the time XP finishes the first gun sound...geez)
But while searching this forum i found several topics wich seem to suggest people DID got the sound effects to work:

Glidos & Redneck Rampage

Redneck Rampage And the 8-Track Option

So i'm confused here, does or doesn't VDMsound work with RR?
And this brings me to my next question:
I have an old SBlive soundcart still in my PC (need gameport), so i tryed to get the Soundblaster 16 legacy emulation (Not the shitty XP emu!) to work.
So acording to Google searches i should config RR to use the SB 16 or AWE soundcart type, IRQ 5, DMA1, adress 220. (And set XP to use the SB soundcard instead on the onboard audio)
When testing I get sound but they are still the crappy XP emulated ones!
Why isn't the SB16 emulation working, do i have the wrong drivers? (LiveDrvUni-Pack(ENG).exe)
And when i try to acces the Legacy driver settings under hardware the screen stayes blank for some reason.. (to check what IRQ it uses)

Hope i made some sense here.

(Btw does anyone tryed the SoundFX NT program? They claim 'perfect' emulation for DOS games..)

Reply 82 of 87, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could try using VDMSound and then tweaking the settings in vdmsound.ini.
or use DosBox and play RR in low resolution.

Sound quality depends on sound drivers, processor speed (due to NTVDM overhead)....

Realistically until or if a source port comes out the absolute best way to play RR with excellent sound, full speed, and high resolutions is to play it in DOS.

IIRC, The SB16 "emulation" your talking about only works for Windows 9x and I believe the SB drivers mentioned it or something. Can't quite remember since it's been like 4+ years since I heard about it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 83 of 87, by ICBM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't use VDMSound, everyone in this topic tryed to use it but RR freezes after the first frame of the intro movie. That was what my reply was all about, i want to know if people did found a fix or other emulation programs for this.

Reply 85 of 87, by JimmydaMage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got to run Redneck Rampage with sound!
My solution which works fine on my system (AthlonXP 2000+,WinXP SP2,Geforce4 MX440SE):

1. Get noflb.com and copy it to the game directory
2. get vdmsound and install it
3. open command window
4. run noflb
5. run setup without vdmsound
6. configure resolution to 640x480
7. configure sound to Soundblaster IO=220,IRQ=5, DMA8=1,DMA16=5 (the windows default settings)
8. the game should run with stuttering sound
9. goto options, disable sound
10. create a rr.bat file with calls to noflb.com and setup.exe
11. run rr.bat by right-clicking and choosing 'Run with VDMSound'
12. configure sound to VDMSound configuration (only change IRQ to 7)
13. DON'T RUN SOUNDTEST, otherwise setup will crash!
14. start Redneck RAmpage from setup
15. after intro movie you can reenable sound, should work fine!
16. DON'T FORGET TO SOUND BEFORE QUITTING! Otherwise the game will freeze at startup and you have to go through steps 7 to 14 again.

Hope I could help a little bit