VOGONS

First post, by Dave32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having problems getting Privateer 2 to work on DosBOX (v0.61). The game installs fine but then when I try to run it, I get an error:

Privateer 2 Fatal Error - setstreamspeed - movies\origin.tgv FILE IS TOO SMALL TO ESTIMATE DATA STREAM SPEEDS.

A series of sequential illegal memory reads shows up on the DosBOX console at the same time, starting at the address 20657A69 (ending at 20657A70).

I've attached a file with more detailed information about what gets displayed, in case that's relevant.

I checked the install guide for Privateer 2 and it says that a 'setstreamspeed' error is caused due to a shortage of conventional memory, and that freeing some up should solve it. However, the MEM command within DosBOX indicates I have 637K of main memory free, and (again according to the install guide) the game shouldn't need more than 540K to run.

I've already tried looking at the origin.tgv file on the game CD and nothing seems wrong with it to me. I've also tried copying it into the game directory (and also to /movies/origin.tgv within the game dir). I've tried experimenting with different memory sizes and also with turning off EMS and/or XMS. No luck, unfortunately.

My system:
Athlon 2100+ (1.7 GHz), 512Mb RAM, Geforce 5700 Ultra, Win XP Pro.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Filename
    Privateer 2.txt
    File size
    898 Bytes
    Downloads
    211 downloads
    File comment
    The 3 screens that come up when I try to run the game.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 7, by Dave32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hum conventional memory problem... Have you tried using loadfix?

I hadn't, but I just tried it now (tried with 600, 500 and 400k of free conventional memory), and unfortunately it didn't help.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Reply 3 of 7, by voyageur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're welcome, sorry it didn't help.

However it's strange that you can't get it to run, while Sarky in the games database reported that it worked perfectly. Something related to your hardware then? (too fast CD-rom player, ...)

Voyageur

Reply 4 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try patching the game:
http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/patdl.cgi?lang=eng&sys … atch.zip&ref=ps

And then, only start the game with CD #1 in the drive (assuming you own a legal copy). And let us know if the error goes away.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 7, by Dave32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try patching the game:
http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/patdl.cgi?lang=e...amp;ref=ps

And then, only start the game with CD #1 in the drive (assuming you own a legal copy). And let us know if the error goes away.

Thanks. I've gone and done that, and...

Well, there's good news...the error does go away.
And there's bad news...another error crops up to take its place.

Now, instead of the setstreamspeed error, it gives me:

Privateer 2 Fatal Error - cdromread - READ STATUS ERROR=ffff8000

I'm no expert at this but it sounds to me like you're right, voyageur. The game doesn't seem to like my CD drive.

Reply 6 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should find this helpful:
1. Find the Dark.cfg file (make a copy first) open it in notepad, and put your cd-rom drive letter first, like this: F:
http://forum.asiaco.com/cgi-bin/forum/forum.c … d=priv2&mid=105
(However, problem not solved in 2. - When asked to insert next cd, you run into the same problem, have to save game - if possible - and copy files again!)

This is just using Google for research, I don't really know anything about it. I hope 1. works.

If worse comes to worse, you can try this:
http://originalthp.solsector.net/privateer2wi … privateer2.html
but that's definitely warez, you'll be on your own there... Also, you'd run into other issues...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 7, by Dave32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot 😀.

The first method worked fine. As it turned out though, my computer wasn't fast enough for the game to be really playable within DOSBox.

Fortunately, the second method worked too, so I can now play the win95 edition of the game, albeit with a few minor issues. It's definitely playable though.