VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DarthJDG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all DOSbox is great, many thanks to everyone who had ever worked on it!

Now, I know it's a stupid question, since DOSbox is a purely simulated environment, but I was wondering if there's any way for a program, more precisely a virus for example, to access anything outside the mounted drives? By outside I mean real boot sector of the mounted drive, master boot record and such.

So is it safe to run a game in DOSbox with any type of destructive, undisinfectable virus in its code if I mount only its own directory?

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

in principle yes. only the files in your mounted directories can be affected.

But who knows what bugs dosbox has. So if a virus manages to infect a file outside the mounted the directory don't go complaining here.

Use at your own risk.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 6, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From my knowledge of DOS based viruses, most were based on loading from the boot sector. Since such an area doesn't technically exist within the DosBox world, I would expect most viruses would run during the session and then fail to make themselves permanent.

Last edited by canadacow on 2004-03-05, 17:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Now I'm curious how does DOSBox behave when a program tries to reach the boot sector / master boot record / FAT table and such directly.

I would stay away from viruses, believe me, but I have only an infected version of a game of mine and lost the source long ago.

I think I try to rebuild a machine of mine from my pile of old hardwares and play it on that, then repartition the hard drive.

Reply 6 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Anonymous wrote:

Now I'm curious how does DOSBox behave when a program tries to reach the boot sector / master boot record / FAT table and such directly.

Not possible. DOSBOX does not support direct low level access to harddisk. These functions are not implemented.

Mirek