VOGONS

Common searches

Phantasmagoria 2 Problem

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Dehumanizer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I am a huge fan of the Phantasmagoria series. Last night I tried to install Phantasmagoria A Puzzle Of Flesh. The game installed correctly but when I tried to run the game, a weird error occurred: "Script error #349I3". The result : no playing. I have Windows XP and an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro graphics card. I've already tried to work with the compatibility tab and with VDMSound. None of this worked. Maybe one of you guys (girls) have a solution ?

Thanks a lot !

Greetz Lev

Reply 2 of 34, by BVH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Had the same problem Dehumanizer did. I took a look at the url Jiri but it's for getting the DOS version working not windows and that’s all ready easy to do.

It seems more to me like it ever can’t find a game rescores or just a plain old out right incompatibility error, maybe with XP?

I found the dos version easy to get working but does any one find the mouse lags when using the Phantasmagoria 2 DOS ?

Hope some one can track down why it get this odd error when try to start the windows version of Phantasmagoria 2.

Reply 4 of 34, by BVH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

here is a direct link: http://www.sierraplanet.com/~ugarte/Resources/P2DOSPAT.EXE

btw does any one know if the movies look any better in the windows version over the dos?

p4 3ghz HT
GF3 ti200
windows XP pro
1gig of ram
motherbord: Gigabyte 8knxp
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro

Reply 5 of 34, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It works great in pure Win98. It also will run in VMWare under 98. It may also work in Virtual PC for Windows XP. VPC is really very good, emulating a SB16 in DOS without any special drivers and a S3 Trio with VESA 2 support!

Reply 6 of 34, by xandman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah the movies do look better in windows if you set your screen resolution to 16 bit High colour. In dos you only get 8 bit 256 colours.

if your screen resolution is 32 bit you should still put it down to 16 bit because on 32 bit ok it looks better than 8 bit but actually not as good as 16 which the game was made for.

Reply 7 of 34, by BVH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xandman wrote:

Yeah the movies do look better in windows if you set your screen resolution to 16 bit High colour. In dos you only get 8 bit 256 colours.

if your screen resolution is 32 bit you should still put it down to 16 bit because on 32 bit ok it looks better than 8 bit but actually not as good as 16 which the game was made for.

hmmm now I got to get the windows version working. thanks for that.

p4 3ghz HT
GF3 ti200
windows XP pro
1gig of ram
motherbord: Gigabyte 8knxp
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro

Reply 11 of 34, by Spaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally someone figured out how to fix phantasmagoria II (win95 only version) under WinXP 😁 I have tried this myself and it works perfect with DOSBox 0.61

http://www.suprnovaforums.com/index.php?showt … ic=31798&st=680

jfakdfjife3339:
Ok, I got Phantasmagoria 2 to work under Windows XP, but it wasn't easy.

I downloaded the patch that Spaz gave a link to

( http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/patdl.cgi?lang=eng&sys … sptc.zip&ref=ps )

It lets you create a DOS version of the game from the Windows 95 version. The PATCH.BAT and PATCH2.BAT files included in the patch won't work properly under Windows XP, however, becuase some of the commands aren't compatible with XP. So I went through both of the files and figured out what to do manually. If you're really interested, here you go:

1) First create an installation directory on your hard drive "x:\install_dir\" where x is the letter of your hard drive and install_dir is just the path name of the directory you want to run the game from.

install_dir should contain only directory names that can be read from dos
(ie: "\games\phantas2\" )

2) Copy the following files from CD1 to install_dir:

ressci.lrg, ressci.med, cdcheck.bat, version, sierra.err, ressci.pat, resmdt.pat, resmap.pat, DUKDLL95.DLL, 997.v56, 998.v56, 999.v56, 999.CLU, 63007.csc, 64978.csc, 64990.csc, 63001.csc, 62999.csc, 4051.csc, 0.scs, and all files that end in .DRV

3) Copy the following files from the patch zip drive (from Spaz's post) to the install_dir:

patchit.exe, p2.rtp, and what.exe

4) create a file called patch.bat (you can use notepad) that has only the following line:

patchit p2.rtp

Save this .bat file to your install_dir and run it.

5)Edit the resource.cfg file (use notepad again) and add the following lines:

cdspeed=2
resAUD=CD:\
resSFX=CD:\
resMAP=CD:\;x:\install_dir\
rescdisc=CD:\
patchDIR=x:\install_dir\;CD:\patches;CD:\
movieDIR=CD:\duk
palette=CD:\duk
discID=RESSCI
CD:=z:

(where x and install_dir are the same as before and z is the letter of your cd drive);

6) Create a file called p2dos.bat (using notepad again), put in the following lines and save it to your install_dir

@echo off
call cdcheck z
x:\install_dir\sierra x:\install_dir\resource.cfg

(where x, install_dir, and z are the same as before)

7) Run install.bat to set up the options for your game

😎 Run p2dos.bat to play the game. You can make a shortcut to p2dos.bat also.

If you follow these directions exactly, you should have no problems getting the game to work in XP.

Reply 13 of 34, by tomlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

two questions:

1: If you use the patch (to turn the win95 version into the dos version)
do you have 16-bit movies like in win95 or are they ugly like in DOS?

2: I'm running the DOSversion of the game in winXP (with VDMsound)
but the cd just won't respond when I have to switch. This problem is
bugging me with Phantasmagoria1 (DOSbox) and 2. What should I do?

thanks

Reply 16 of 34, by tomlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

now I can switch cd's succesfully with phantasmagoria 2 using this code:

mount e "X:\" -t cdrom -ioctl

(X being my cddrive) but the movies run really slow, so i'm trying to get it right with the dosbox config file... anyone suggestions for getting the movies to run better?