VOGONS

First post, by benkid77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Daniel for posting the info about Dungeon Master 2. (I'd reply to that topic, but it seems to be locked)

I'm really happy that Dungeon Master 2 is supported so soon.

I followed your advice and changed the IRQ in setup.exe to match that of the DOSBox Default of 7.

Still, I couldn't get the sound effects working at all for a while, but then I realised I had applied the official patch to my copy of Dungeon master 2 some time ago.

As somebody on the Dungeon Master forums mentioned, this can actually break the sound effects.

I re-installed the game from the CD, (did not install the patch), setup the sound again, and finally, the sound effects now work fine.

The game is now running perfect for me, all sound and music present, at 10000 cycles fullscreen.

So, just to let everybody know, it seems that you may need the unpatched version of DM2 to hear sound effects under DOSBox 0.61,

Thanks again from another happy DOSBox user,
benkid77

Reply 1 of 7, by Daniel (Sweden)

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Benkid77

Im glad to hear you got it to work, I have also been looking forward to this day. Thanks for the information about the unpatch version, that is absolutely valuable information. I will post it at the Dungeon Master & Chaos Strikes Back forum. Please Keep me updated about progresses and possble problems (hopefully none).

Happy playing!

/Daniel (Sweden)

Reply 4 of 7, by Daniel (Sweden)

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Melroc!

I have posted a specification of my settings and actions at the Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back Encyclopaedia Forum. The link should be this:

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/viewtopic … a85e9a54b333743

Hopefully this will be of help for all Dm2 fans ; )

The best of Luck!

/Daniel (Sweden)

Reply 5 of 7, by benkid77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Melroc,

Here are my details.

I'm using a default dosbox.conf file apart from the following:-

I have increased the number of cycles, I think the default setting is too slow for Dungeon Master 2. The general concensus seems to be between 5000 and 10000 cycles. I guess you should experiment to find what speed you are comfortable with. The only other change I made of course was the line at the end to mount the C:\ drive.

As for the version of DM2 I have that works correctly, the file SKULL.EXE is 522,637 bytes, IBMIOP.EXE is 12,626 bytes.

(The version that I could not get the sound working was SKULL.EXE 522,641 bytes, IBMIOP.EXE 12,627 bytes)

As for the date stamps on my hard drive, the original dates have been lost, and just reflect the time that the game was installed.

The date stamp of SKULL.EXE on my CD is 13/07/1995 14:54

In SETUP.EXE that comes with DM2, I have the following settings,

Digital Device=Sound Blaster Pro, Port=220, DMA=1, IRQ=7
MIDI Device=Sound Blaster Pro, MIDI Port=388

(i.e. these settings match dosbox.conf)

My system is Athlon XP 2800+, WinXP. I can only get 10000 cycles in fullscreen. I think now I probably don't need it quite that fast anyway,

Good luck and Happy Playing,
benkid77