VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 25, by Kolya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, checked the MS compatibility kit 4.0. Most of the kit seems pretty useless for getting a game to run.
But the "compatibility administrator" included with it could be a great help. It holds a large database of programs (including lots of old games) and their corresponding compatibility settings. And as it seems these programs and games can be run using their apropiate settings from within the compatibility administrator program.
Unfortunately Space Hulk VOTBA isn't in the database.

Now you can also create your own fixes for any program you like with more than 200 possible fixes, being able to test run them on the fly. Sounds good? I guess it is for someone who's got some knowledge about how old programs work(ed).
But for me this is just over 40.000 possible combinations to try...😵

Kolya

Reply 21 of 25, by Joeyxp2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, I tried this and the game is working but immediately when a gene-stealer killed me and my visor got cut off Windows said Hulkw95 must close. This might be coincidence or something wrong with my computer. Has anyone else experienced the same problem as me?

Reply 22 of 25, by lordlupin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys.

i got Space Hulk: VOTBA to work fine on WinXP.

i followed the guidline about creating a shortcut, altering the 'start in' info and then disabling the graphics option in DXDiag but after a few games i realised i had enabled the graphics and hadn't disabled it again. For me, the only thing i needed to do was run the game using the shortcut, i didn't need to disable the graphics in the DXDiag display settings.

Once i got it working, i copied the game onto the HD of my PC and altered the info in the shortcut to reflect the new directory. It works the same as before but now i don't have to worry about putting the CD in the drive every time i want to play it.

The problem i have with this game is that it crashes a lot. I have been on the first mission where you get to command the Terminators (and meet the Chaos Terminators) for ages now. It seems to crash a lot since i got to this mission. I don't know if this is because the Chaos Terminators are in this level or if it's because i have command of my Terminators but one of those 2 things is crashing the game more than usual.

Does anyone know of a way to stabilise the game more so i don't have to repeat levels again and again due to crashes?

Hope that helps some of you.

Cheers

Reply 23 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can't help since I don't have the game but for old games that do not require Direct3D I usually run them under Qemu or Vmware in the operating systems they were intended for.

Qemu may be more benefitial in this situation than Vmware since Qemu emulates the processor whereas VMware virtualizes it which can be incompatible with some applications (due to your processor being faster than the game was intended to be run on).

I've gotten many older games working using Qemu that do not work well under Windows XP.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 24 of 25, by Kolya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the game working finally by following my own advice.
(The game works fine on win95 and win98 with directX up to version directx 8.0a)

So I installed Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 (45days trial), installed win98se on the virtual harddrive and copied the game to it. That was it.
My win98se comes with DirectX v6.1a which works fine with the game. My rig is a P4 with 3,2GHz and 2Gigs RAM.

The virtual HD is 770MB + 38MB for the MSVPC2004 install.

Reply 25 of 25, by Digideus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The simplest way I found to run this was to...

1. Copy the entire CD into to a folder on your PC called HULK (its about 556MB)
2. Locate the Hulk\Hulkdata\bin directory
3. COPY THE FILES TO THE HULK DIRECTORY! (saves all that messing about with the CD)
4. Disable Directdraw as detailed in previous posts, otherwise the end result will be an interpolated display.
5. Run the game

😁

Works fine for me like that, as I noticed that on some revisions of Windows XP the file properties wont allow you to change the "Start In" details of a file or a shortcut. Copying them seemed to work fine for me.

Quite why someone hasnt written a MOD for Quake or Unreal Tourney with Genestealers in it is beyond me! Someone REALLY should update this to a DirectX graphics engine!