VOGONS

First post, by DrJonezzz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have found some thread discussing Aethra Chronicles, and it was locked because it was thought the game was abandonware and thus you couldn't distribute it.

I sent a private message to a moderator telling them that the game was released as freeware by Mike Lawrence, the author, on his own website (which no longer exists), around 1998 I think. I found it on 2004 while looking for him as I wanted to buy his previous game "Dungeons of Kairn". I didn't know Aethra was so popular (in fact, I never played it), so I thought it would be good to announce that the author released it in good faith for all people to enjoy. The moderator told me to open a topic on this forum to announce.

The game file can be downloaded here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzyykj0bhebs6iw/aethra.zip

At first it might look as if this is the shareware version, but if you look in the ingame manual, it should say somewhere that it is the registered version (it will also tell you not to distribute it, but that message no longer applies).

The full game included a spell list, which can be downloaded here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jpvakitxg5gqgt/aet … esspelllist.zip

The pack also included some tool to edit the save files, it looks like it was done by another person, but it was also hosted on Mike Lawrence's site. Here's the file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8pl61epa131876/aet … esUGEmodule.zip

Too bad I didn't think at the time to keep a copy of the website. I can no longer find it.

Even though the author didn't keep a copy of the full version of Dungeons of Kairn in his site, he had a more recent version of the shareware version (v.1.2), so I'll share it. The only copy I own might have one party already created, which you can delete inside the game if you want to start fresh:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v55u5id3g2c9vbo/kairn12.zip

Hope I helped someone!!

Yup.

Reply 1 of 2, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We have no way of verifying this information for ourselves, though. Without independent verification that what you say is true, the owners of these forums set themselves up for liability in case the copyright holder should come forward and make a claim of copyright violation. If one of the mods wants to do the legwork required to try to verify that the games were released to the public, that's fine, but until someone does it is best to play it safe. When in doubt, keep it out.

Reply 2 of 2, by DrJonezzz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I tried again to find the website, but still no luck. Searching for him will be a lot of trouble, it was already almost impossible in 2004, so I don't know if you will have any luck on 2012.

I have the vague memory that his website was hosted in earthlink.net, and I also remember that the only place I could find the author was in the archives of some MTG rules mailing list, as he was a MTG judge around the time of the Visions expansion set. He had in his signature the link to his page. Maybe WotC keeps a backup of these old mailing list archives.

He was born on 1962, the address posted on the games was from a student's appartment at some university, so as soon as he graduated the address stopped working. Even though the name is Michael W. Lawrence, he used to sign as "Mike Lawrence", or "Mike L." so it isn't as easy as searching for his name at google.

I was just recovering some old files from my PC when I saw people were still looking for this game around the net, so I thought it would be helpful to share what I found after countless years looking for that game designer. I actually remember he released the games into public domain, which is far better than freeware, but I chose to say "freeware" to be cautious, as I found his website a long, long time ago.

Looking for another source, I found a place that explained that he released the first game to the public because he never finished the other two episodes that you'd get by buying the full game. I didn't know that, but it makes sense. 😒

Yup.