VOGONS

First post, by BlindSavior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running DosBox 0.74 with Windows 3.1 all set up and ready to go. Windows works perfectly inside DosBox, and I even installed a game which I can easily get to and it starts without an issue.

However, once the game starts, it requires a disk. Seeing that Windows 3.1 had an A:\ drive that wasn't being used, I tried to mount the two .iso files for the game I want to play within DosBox, using the virtual A:\ drive

IMGMOUNT A "Connections Game - CD1.iso" "Connections Game - CD2.iso" -t iso

The mounting works fine, so I added it to the [autoexec]. However, nothing shows up in the A:\ drive once Windows 3.1 is running, but I can't play the game without Windows 3.1 acknowledging that there's a disk. Am I doing something wrong? How does one mount a virtual drive within Windows 3.1?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

what game is it? mount the original CDs to d

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 12, by BlindSavior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game is Connections: It's a Mind Game.

I can't believe I made such a rookie mistake, I had to change my path to: IMGMOUNT D "C:\Users\Felis\Documents\Connections\Connections Game - CD1.iso" "C:\Users\Felis\Documents\Connections\Connections Game - CD2.iso" -t cdrom

The game runs, but now the quicktime videos aren't working. I'll try updating the drivers for Windows 3.1

Thanks so much, that was entirely my bad.

Any sagely-advice on videos auto-skipping that you can pass on?

Reply 3 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You can try updating QT to the last version for Win 3.x, if you haven't already.
http://www.oldversion.com/download-QuickTime-2.1.2.html

Also, there is a fix in SVN source for an issue with some PC/Mac hybrid discs that can cause QT movies not to play, so if updating QT doesn't help then you might try an SVN build of DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 12, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can confirm that ripsaw8080 solution about quicktime works for this game and many screensaver application I have for Win 3.x such as Beavis and Butt-Head Kickass Screensaver

Reply 6 of 12, by BlindSavior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm just about ready to give up on this. Here's the situation:

I got the .iso files for this 1995 game "Connections: It's a Mind Game". I tried installing it on my Windows 7 in compatibility mode, the only problem being that the movies wouldn't play.

So I got DosBox, DosBox wanted me to install Windows 3.1 before I could mount the images.

I have Windows 3.1 ready to go in DosBox, I've tried installing the game inside 3.1, but when I do, the game won't launch and I get the error "Problem Opening 'launcher.dxr'". The file Launcher.dxr is right there in the folder next to the .exe for the game.

So I tried installing the game from the .iso I have on my computer, installing it into a folder inside the 3.1 folder, so it shows up when I'm using the program manager in 3.1. When I run the game from there, it launches without an issue, but the quicktime movies won't work, which is the problem I started with.

I already have Quicktime 2.1.2 installed within Windows 3.1. Any ideas?

Reply 7 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Read the second part of ripsaws message.

Also you probably made some mounting errors when instslling and then playing the game

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 12, by BlindSavior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ripsaw:

I'm pretty sure it was a windows/mac hybrid, now I think about it.
Do you know which SVN build I should try? Or is it trial and error?

Thanks again for the advice, everyone. I haven't used Windows 3.1 in DosBox before, so forgive me for stupid questions.

Reply 9 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Use one of the newest.

Reply 10 of 12, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BlindSavior wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was a windows/mac hybrid, now I think about it.

If you're on a Mac, the operating system hides the PC partition of hybrid CD-ROMs. In this case it is very recommended to create images of such CD-ROMs to get the PC part imgmounted within DOSBox.

Klimawandel.

Reply 11 of 12, by BlindSavior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, the SVN build DOSBox SVN r3798 worked like a charm.

As far as Launcher.dxr goes, I replaced the launcher in the Windows 3.1 installation, with the one installed on my computer. The launcher that installed on the 3.1 must have been corrupted, as the game launched once I swapped it out.

Everything is running smoothly now, thanks so much for dealing with me. I appreciate the help and quick responses!

Reply 12 of 12, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to resurrect a dead topic, but I found some more info on this.

The 0.74 stable build of Dosbox works perfectly fine. The issue is not dosbox, but rather this launcher.dxr file. When the game installs, it adds this file to the install folder, however it is only 10kb, where-as the version of the cd is 807kb. Copying the copy on the cd over to the install folder is what fixes the issue with this game. Odd that it copies the file over, but gets it wrong.