VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sharpe1965

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello to All !

I would like to play the PCJR cartridge games dumped with pcjrcart and therefore would need a dosbox version including the patch done by VileRancour found in the following link:
Re: Support for alternate PCjr cartridge header format (PCJRCart)

The problem is that i found several descriptions how to compile dosbox with c++ but none of these is describing how to insert a .diff file.

Please kindly assist me in the compiling or if possible PM me a compiled dosbox version including the above patch.

Many many thanks,
Karl

Reply 1 of 9, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can use the patch tool (Linux but there's a Windows version available if that's your OS of choice: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/ you could try, also, Tortoisesvn) and you can also do it by hand.

Reply 2 of 9, by Sharpe1965

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded the program but have no clue how to use it.
Are there any instruction s available for compiling dosbox and inserting .diff files ?
Or could a kind soul insert and compile this and sed it to me ?

Please help, I feel completely lost ...

Thanks,
Karl

Reply 4 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Something basic, the diff file is just a text file telling which file of the source gets changed.
You have the filename and the line number (beware that an old patch might be off with the line number, that's why the next part is important), a bit pf the source text before and after the change. Lines starting with a "-" get deleted, lines with a "+" get added. If it is a small patch you can easily do it yourself.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

With a text editor that shows line numbers, e.g. Notepad++

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 9, by Sharpe1965

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi !
I don´t have a linux partition so i went with gnuwin32.
There is a ptch.exe file in the bin subdirectory but the whole PC is stuck when i try to do something with it in the cmd window ...
Best regards,
Karl

Reply 7 of 9, by Sharpe1965

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just tried
patch.exe dosbox.exe jr.diff

but i receive:
hunk #1 failed at 666
hunk #2 failed at 701
2 out of 2 hznks failed - saving rejects to file dosbox.exe.rej

What am i doing wrong ?

Please advise.
Tks, brgds Karl

Reply 8 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

ykhwong's build incorporates the patch. Of course that comes with a long list of other patches, but at the rate you're going it's a hassle-free solution.

FWIW, modifying a cartridge dump to replace the pcjrcart header with a jripcart header isn't difficult, but you may feel out of your depth there as well.

Reply 9 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, use yhkwongs built.

Because you got the most important thing wrong from the beginning:
Patches are made for the source not the compiled dosbox.exe. So you'd need to download the source of dosbox (which is a few text files in a couple of directories), unzip/untar it, apply the patch to the source and then you'd need to compile the patched source to finally get a dosbox.exe that works as you want.
Of course compiling is a big step that needs a lit more reading and following guides than what you needed for running patch.exe. So better just use yhkwongs built