VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by hoserjoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone tried DOSbox on Windows 8 yet?

Reviews are starting to appear on http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compat … mpatCenter/Home

Reply 1 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup same as Windows 7 but it no longer switches between Aero and Aero basic because Aero is no more.....so it's even better on Windows 8!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 7, by larmar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am running Windows 8, and may I just say, isn't it beautiful?

Anyway, I've got DOSBox working, and was able to get Windows 95 loaded -- but I have a problem.

Essentially, I need to figure out how to move a folder from my actual hard drive on to the virtual drive on Windows 95 emulated through DOSBox.

I want to play a game that requires Windows 95, which is why I've got it emulated on DOSBox in the first place. This particular game is in its own folder on my actual hard drive. I cannot access it from the virtual hard drive when running W95 on DOSBox.

So far, I've thought of downloading it again through the IE on the virtual hard drive on W95, but that crashes. I've tried mounting the folder as another drive on DOSBox, and then mounting W95 and running. Then, I tried moving the folder into the directory where the W95 image is stored and booted from. When I open DOSBox, I see the mounted drive for 95 lists it as a directory, but it's still not accessible when I actually boot 95. It doesn't even come up.

I feel like I'm on the right track to finding a solution, but honestly, I have no idea. Help?

"If you didn't sign it," said the King, "that only makes the matter worse. You MUST have meant some mischief, or else you'd have signed your name like an honest man."

Reply 4 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Winimage can open DOSBox images.

You can also mount the image with DOSBox and access it through the command line

Windows 9x DOSBox Guide (Not officially supported)

ALTERNATE WAY TO COPY FILES TO A .IMG USING DOSBOX
(Not recommended due to DOSBox appearing to hang and being very slow at copying the files)

Close DOSBox
Edit imgmount like in DOSBox.conf to look like this:
imgmount d x.img -t hdd -size 512,63,x,x
Open DOSBox
Type in "Mount c ." to mount your host DOSBox directory.
Switch to D:
Type in "MD "9xinst".
Switch to "C:" and go to where you copied your Windows files.
Do a "Copy *.* D:\9xinst" to copy your Windows files to the HD image.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 7, by larmar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
Winimage can open DOSBox images. […]
Show full quote

Winimage can open DOSBox images.

You can also mount the image with DOSBox and access it through the command line

Windows 9x DOSBox Guide (Not officially supported)

ALTERNATE WAY TO COPY FILES TO A .IMG USING DOSBOX
(Not recommended due to DOSBox appearing to hang and being very slow at copying the files)

Close DOSBox
Edit imgmount like in DOSBox.conf to look like this:
imgmount d x.img -t hdd -size 512,63,x,x
Open DOSBox
Type in "Mount c ." to mount your host DOSBox directory.
Switch to D:
Type in "MD "9xinst".
Switch to "C:" and go to where you copied your Windows files.
Do a "Copy *.* D:\9xinst" to copy your Windows files to the HD image.

Thanks, I'll try that!

"If you didn't sign it," said the King, "that only makes the matter worse. You MUST have meant some mischief, or else you'd have signed your name like an honest man."

Reply 6 of 7, by Sadist boar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's a problem, slowness in entering fullscreen mode if Fullresolution=Desktop. Also, problem changing between screen sizes in fullscreen. (in case of "original" fullresolution, the slowness only applies to transitioning between modes that have width 640)

Sad fat people are never good at using complex programs.

Reply 7 of 7, by Butler3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows 8 isn't used (or planned to be used) on Windows Phones. They will use WP8 (also known as Apollo).

And no, you can't run Windows 8 on a Playbook unless it is a remote desktop to a computer/tablet that IS running it.

recipe to make cookies | check essay for plagiarism online free | how to make a pasta bake | howtocooklobstertails.net