VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by slacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off, I hope this is the correct sub-forum to post this in, if not please move this thread.

Okay, so I run Linux (Slackware 13.37) and today I was playing some of my favorite games on Dosbox and saw that Dosbox put a good amount of stress on my CPU. This by itself was not an issue. The stress went away after terminating dosbox and both Dosbox and my system ran perfectly fine. However in the interest of reducing system load, I decided to check and see what other processes were taking up the most resources, turns out firefox and X were the top contenders. So I closed firefox and went back to my blissful gaming. After a short period of time I began to wonder, "Why can't I run Dosbox without X?" So after some poking around on google, I came across this:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-697474-start-0.html

Following the instructions in this thread, I downloaded an updated copy of SDL and compiled with the variable "USE='directfb'" So now I was able to run Dosbox in the virtual console, I thought this was great and I would have no more issues. I was wrong. I attempted to type a command and found out that my keymap was screwed. So I poked around on the Dosbox wiki and found out that I could start up Dosbox with -startmapper to start the keymapper that Dosbox provides. Great! I thought once more, I can fix this! I was wrong again. While trying to re-write the keymapper I found out that while Dosbox is open (keymapper mode or not) pressing "Escape" or the number "1" caused my entire system to freeze. Not just Dosbox. So I looked around on the Dosbox wiki some more and found that Dosbox takes it's input from SDL, my question is does anybody know why this is happening? Or should I post this on a Linux forum? Also if I run Dosbox from the X server, none of these issues occur.

Thanks in advance for your help
-Slacker.

Reply 1 of 2, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If it can kill your system it's certainly not the fault of the user-mode application dosbox.

First of all switch back to an unmodified dosbox, re-generate the dosbox config file and change the option "usescancodes" to see if that works.