VOGONS

First post, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got an AWE64 Gold off eBay, and finally got around to installing into my Pentium 200MMX rig, running Windows 95 OSR2.

I installed the software from the driver CD in the driver library without issue. Following this, I didn't open any of the applications that were installed, I just went straight into game testing.

The first game I tried was Descent. I configured it with AWE32 as the music device, specifying the AWE port 0x620 and the MIDI port 0x330. It sounded great, just as the recording on swaaye's site sounded.

The next game I tried was Duke Nukem 3D. The music was very broken, notes that should have been sustained weren't, and notes were missing. The same happened with ROTT.

So I went into the "AWE Control" utility and started poking around. I don't remember exactly what I changed, but I have a feeling it was choosing a soundfont on the "Synth" tab, and hitting Apply.

Following that tinkering session, if I choose "General MIDI" in a DOS game and specify port 330, I hear the music played with the selected SoundFont. But if I choose "SoundBlaster AWE32" and specify the AWE and MIDI ports, I hear the music as if it were played using the on-board sample ROM... that doesn't seem right to me.

Did I do something wrong?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 19, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used the driver CD here: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=9 originally upped by RG100.

I'll download your compilation and see if it makes a difference.

Can you tell me how it's supposed to work? (The AWE64 I mean! 😀)

Reply 3 of 19, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

if I choose "General MIDI" in a DOS game and specify port 330, I hear the music played with the selected SoundFont.

But if I choose "SoundBlaster AWE32" and specify the AWE and MIDI ports, I hear the music as if it were played using the on-board sample ROM... that doesn't seem right to me.

That is how it is supposed to be.

Native SoundblasterAWE game support will load up the default sound presets for the 1MB ROM to the card.

General Midi can only be emulated, and in windows the emulation can use soundfonts.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 19, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

The next game I tried was Duke Nukem 3D. The music was very broken, notes that should have been sustained weren't, and notes were missing.

I experienced this exact same issue on a SoundBlaster 32 PnP CT3600, which makes me wonder if either the Windows drivers for the AWE32/AWE64 are crap or the AWE support in Duke Nukem 3D is buggy. Have you tried running Duke Nukem 3D in pure DOS with your AWE64 Gold? If you haven't, try it to see if the music is broken under DOS as well.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 7 of 19, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the answers guys! Very re-assuring! 😀

Ace wrote:

I experienced this exact same issue on a SoundBlaster 32 PnP CT3600, which makes me wonder if either the Windows drivers for the AWE32/AWE64 are crap or the AWE support in Duke Nukem 3D is buggy. Have you tried running Duke Nukem 3D in pure DOS with your AWE64 Gold? If you haven't, try it to see if the music is broken under DOS as well.

I kind of assumed dodgy drivers too, but when I loaded the "General MIDI" soundfont through the Synth tab, the problem corrected itself, and it's been fine since, seemingly despite the SoundFont settings having nothing to do with the "native" AWE32 support... 😖

Reply 8 of 19, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even my SoundBlaster AWE64 CT4520 has the same problem with Duke Nukem 3D under Windows 95 and Windows 98. I still need to check under DOS if AWE sound cards have problems with Duke Nukem 3D. Problem is: every SoundBlaster AWE sound card I use works once, then the next time I use AWE synth, the EMU8000 produces a MASSIVE amount of garbage instead which doesn't go away until the computer is restarted.

SquallStrife wrote:

I kind of assumed dodgy drivers too, but when I loaded the "General MIDI" soundfont through the Synth tab, the problem corrected itself, and it's been fine since, seemingly despite the SoundFont settings having nothing to do with the "native" AWE32 support... 😖

Thing is, when you're doing this, you're simply using the exact same soundfont built into the ROM. If you notice when you use the default General MIDI soundfont on any AWE card, none of the RAM is used. This is because the card is taking the instruments straight from the ROM. Using General MIDI instead of proper AWE synth usually results in different instrumentation. It's more apparent in X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM edition, but it's much less noticeable in Duke Nukem 3D.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 9 of 19, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ace wrote:

Thing is, when you're doing this, you're simply using the exact same soundfont built into the ROM. If you notice when you use the default General MIDI soundfont on any AWE card, none of the RAM is used.

For using the ROM soundbank it requires the corresponding presets to be resident in system memory. About 42kB. These presets are included with games that support the AWE.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 10 of 19, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can confirm the AWE synth issues with Duke Nukem 3D are caused by the Windows drivers for the AWE32 and AWE64. Under DOS, there aren't any missing notes like under Windows.

Reply 11 of 19, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ace wrote:

Thing is, when you're doing this, you're simply using the exact same soundfont built into the ROM. If you notice when you use the default General MIDI soundfont on any AWE card, none of the RAM is used. This is because the card is taking the instruments straight from the ROM. Using General MIDI instead of proper AWE synth usually results in different instrumentation. It's more apparent in X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM edition, but it's much less noticeable in Duke Nukem 3D.

I get that.

I just don't understand why loading a RAM SoundFont inexplicably makes the ROM SoundFont start working!

And it seems like it's a driver quirk, since you don't get that behaviour in pure DOS.

Reply 12 of 19, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

I just don't understand why loading a RAM SoundFont inexplicably makes the ROM SoundFont start working!

I assume it's because of the soundfont simulating General MIDI rather than using straight-up AWE synth through port 620. It's really weird.

Reply 14 of 19, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AWEUTIL requires the GM or MT32 Preset soundbank to be present.
As for Win9x, I could imagine using native AWE drivers in a game in a DOS window, while the windows driver emulates GM on port 330h could be problematic.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 15 of 19, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you guys had problems with AWEUTIL where the first time you use AWE synth, the sound is perfect, but the next time AWE synth is used, it comes out as a massive mess of garbage until you restart your computer? I can't seem to figure out why my SoundBlaster 32 PnP CT3600 and SoundBlaster AWE64 CT4520 do this(my SoundBlaster AWE64 CT4500 used to do the same thing before it died). I have this same problem under Windows as well, but under Windows, the garbage stops as soon as you exit the DOS program you're using.

Reply 16 of 19, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Afaik AWEUTIL as TSR is just for realmode GM emulation nothing more.

If you use the native AWE Synth I would recommend to unload AWEUTIL always.

AWEUTIL in windows should complain, if not the NMI hook will screw up your system for sure.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 17 of 19, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm experiencing the same issue on a retro gaming rig I just built. Did anyone ever figure out the cause of this?

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 18 of 19, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's probably the drivers like the others said. This particular flaw is fixed by running in DOS, but Creative cards have even more problems with Build games, see here. I had some varying music in DN3D and SW even with a SC-55ST hooked up to a CT4520 where you just wouldn't hear any music with SFX set to higher frequencies...

Reply 19 of 19, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I forgot that I found another solution to this: starting a MIDI file just before running the game. Really a pain, but it works... Maybe this will help running Build games under W9x with AWE synth until a real solution is found (if ever) 😀