VOGONS

Common searches

.img file has more than 504mb

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Shifty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

i read here that i can use max 504mb image file for booting. Ok, but i need more than 504mb. It is enough for windows 98 itself but i want to play a game under windows 98 and i have 2 options:

- Install it from CD (it take only around 10mb) and play it from CD. But cdrom is not supprted as i read.

- Use No-CD path but in this case i must copy data from CD to image file (to install folder of game). This data has around 600mb so i can`t use it with 504mb image file 😢 .

So, is possible to run this SW ?Is possible to use cd-rom or use 1gb image file ?

I can boot 1gb image file but only when there is filled less than 504mb.

Some ideas ? The name of game is "The Neverhood". Yes, i know that I can normally run this game with new windows, but i want to try it in dosbox.

Thanks for replies.

Reply 1 of 14, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

dosbox is not limited at all to 504mb. from what I know, you should be able to mount up to 2 disks with 2gb max capacity.
i.e. this is a 400mb disk
IMGMOUNT 2 disk1.img -t hdd -fs none -size 512,63,16,800
and this is an additional 2gb disk
IMGMOUNT 3 disk2.img -t hdd -fs none -size 512,63,64,1023

Reply 2 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You need to prepare the image with hal's megabuild and it should work. Prepare means creating and formatting the images.
If you do this with dosbox you are limited to 504 MB.
At least you were used to be limited. Haven't checked in ages, though.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 14, by Shifty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm.. i don`t understand it. As first, i need to boot image with windows, so i can`t use -fs none but i have to use -fs fat, Or ? And 2gb image file hasn`t 1023 cylinders it has 4063 cylinders or not ? So, i don`t understand it at all. Would I have one more disk in "my computer" icon after mount 2 disks, or what should to do command "IMGMOUNT 3 disk2.img -t hdd -fs none -size 512,63,64,1023" ?

If is possible to boot 2gb image file, please type me whole command. Because:
unledeq.th.png

And if i type imgmount 3... how can i use boot ? I know that i can use it with drive letter: boot -l c but in imgmount 3... is not drive letter.

-----

But i don`t prepare image file with dosbox. I use bochs. I am not limited with Bochs and i can`t do it with dosbox. I can use bochs, so can I ?

I have no problem with creating and formatting .img, i have problem to boot it.

Reply 5 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I have no problem with creating and formatting .img, i have problem to boot it.

same difference.
There is a guide in the guides section on creating and booting from a img file. It's a bit outdated but the ghist should be the same.
My advice is using hal's megabuild to create and prepare the image (btw. you can use autosize to let dosbox determine drive layout).
You can try that or keep on trying different ways. Good luck

See Windows 95 and DOSBox. for some hints

Reply 8 of 14, by Shifty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I though it works because installation was running but during installation there were a lot or errors. The image file was not bootable. So, i tried to create .img using megabuild and then install windows using Bochs, but at start of installation when runs scandisk there are many errors about bad clusters and probably every cluster was bad.

So, i am at begining.

Reply 10 of 14, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have to agree with a lot of users here.

In order to create a hard disk image with DOSBox, you need to use the Bochs' BXIMAGE utility whereas hard disk images created for DOSBox are limited to 1,024 cylinders, 16 heads and 63 sectors per track for a total of 504 MB. If you use HAL9000's DOSBox Megabuild, then you can use the IMGMAKE utility which will create hard disk images of up to 2 GB. Up to two hard disk images can be created.

I have no problems using either utilities.

However, if you want to create whole hard disk images beyond the 2 GB limit or create more than two hard drives, then you have to use other emulators such as Bochs, Qemu, VirtualBox or Virtual PC.

By the way, using Windows 3.x on whole partitions larger than 2 GB* or hard disks larger than 8,032 MB is NOT recommended.

* FAT16 under MS-DOS 4 through MS-DOS 7 (Windows 95a) is limited to 2 GB per partition. FAT32 partitions can be used to create hard disks up to 2 TB. Windows 3.x (and earlier) has not been tested for installation on FAT32 partitions larger than 2 GB (under MS-DOS 7.1 or MS-DOS 8) due to architectural limitations of the GUI.

Reply 11 of 14, by Shifty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so i want to have 2gb image file. I used this guide:

Guide - Windows 95 on DOSBox 0.74

Everything was right, until i didn`t start installation. There is installed windows95 in the guide, however i was installing windows98. I don`t think that is problem. But during installation windows98, there was a lot of errors. I ignored it all and continue with installation. When the installation finished, i am not able to boot my image file. There was some error about corrupted file i think. I made .img using megabuild and -t parameter was "-t hd_2gig".
So, I am going to try it with windows95, not 98. When i finished, i will write here if it return some error.

Reply 12 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It DOES matter whether you install Windows 95 or 98. Just so you know, reporting problems with installing Windows 9x is a proven way to have a topic closed. It's not supported and thus no interest in fixing problems or helping people with it

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 14, by Shifty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With the guide i successfuly installed windows 95 without errors during installation. But i have many errors with using it. It boot perfectly, but i sometimes (often during using) get blue screen and that`s why i can`t try my game. And there are also some problems with graphic. I tried a lot of windows 95 versions. However, my problem with image files is solved and windows 9x is not supported, unfortunately, so i have no more questions.

Thanks for replies and advices.

Off topic: Ok, windows 9x are not supported, but there is way to run this SW, so where is problem ? And if topics are locked because windows 9x are not supported, why there are topics about "how to run windows 95..." in the forum ? This is great SW, so i think that topics about it shouldn`t be locked if is possible to help users.

Reply 14 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Questions about Windows 9x in DOSBox are welcome here as long as it's about furthering development of Windows 9x in DOSBox (As in you providing code to make it work better or beta testing 9x support in DOSBox)

Threads like these are a waste of time especially since it's all been gone over about 10,000,000 times if people would just bother to search the forum.

Use a VM that actually supports Windows 9x you'll be MUCH happier.

Thread closed.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline