VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by donpoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to print files through an on DOS program. I have following the instruction of some old threads

Printing (sigh!)

and getting very close.

In summary, I am running DOSBOX MegaBuild6 under Windows 7 and XP (I am testing on both machine). Accessing a network printer (USB connected to an XP desktop).
I run "net use lpt1 \\XPDesktop\USBPrinter /persistent:yes" before running DOSBOX MB6.
Added "parallel1=file dev:lpt1" under the config file.
Installed the "winpcap" driver.

While printing, the DOS program sent something over to the printer. Status window says "Parallel 1: File closed."

However, printer only print out blank paper. Wonder if anyone knows what the fix would be?

Regards,
Don
donpoon@hotmail.com

Reply 4 of 12, by donpoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for your helps. I managed to get it working but I have forgotten to come back to reply.

It happens to be the "Print to Text" setting. Once I set this option for the printer, the DOS program prints fine. BTW, the DOS program I am using is a HVAC engineering program that was in the DOS date.

I am having a new problem though. I just set up a new printer for the client. This time I only connect the printer through the LAN. (Instead of connecting to USB and share it through the network) I still haven't getting it to work. DOSBox keeps sending the print job to the old USB printer even if I put the new network printer path in the net use of DOSBox configuration. I am still trouble shooting and I am going to remove the old printer and connect the new printer through USB just like before and see what happen...

Reply 6 of 12, by donpoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That explain why. I connected the printer directly through USB and now it works. Thanks for the clarification.

I still have some issues unsolved.

I was using LPT1 for the old printer. I tried to set the new printer to LPT1 under the dosbox config file. The autoexec doesn't work. It was working with the old printer. When I try to run "net use LPT2..." under the dosbox console, it complains net is not defined. When I run "net use LPT1..." under XP CMD console, it said LPT1 is occupied. I set it to LPT2 and all is fine. I then set "net use LPT2..." under dosbox config and hope it will mount the printer automatically next time I start dosbox but it fail.

Current situation: I can only manually "net use LPT2..." under XP CMD console then print.

I wonder what is holding LPT1. I have removed the old printer from the Printer setup utility. Do I need to uninstall the old printer driver as well?

How come setting LPT2 inside dosbox config doesn't work as before?

I even try putting the "net use LPT2..." command under c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt but it still doesn't set the printer after reboot...

For now, I will just do things manually every time after I reboot. Just hope that I can make it mount the printer automatically.

Reply 7 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"net use" is an XP command and will not work in DOSBox, period.

Autoexec.nt also has absolutely nothing to do with what you're trying to do. If you want to run that command at startup, you should probably put a batch file in the Startup folder in your Start menu.

Reply 8 of 12, by donpoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Jorpho!
I will try using the approach of putting a batch file under the startup folder instead of using autoexec.nt. That should do it.

One thing I still don't understand: "net use LPT1..." used to be working under the [autoexec] section of dosbox.conf. But it doesn't work any more after I installed the new printer.

Reply 9 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
donpoon wrote:

One thing I still don't understand: "net use LPT1..." used to be working under the [autoexec] section of dosbox.conf.

You are mistaken. That command would never work in DOSBox, or at least not like it would at the XP command prompt.

Reply 10 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wouldn't printing fall under application use and not gaming? Why would anyone expect DOSBox to be able to print at all since it is supposed to be a gaming emulator and not for application use, as has been pointed out many times before.

Reply 11 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is why printing is only available in the Megabuild and not the official DOSBox, as suggested by the OP.

Besides, there are a couple of games that do indeed make use of the printer, such as the first Sherlock Holmes adventure from Electronic Arts and The Fool's Errand.