VOGONS

First post, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How do I enable Gravis Ultrasound in Time Gate: Knight's Chase game?
I followed the guide I found in the forums (Where to get GUS patches)and I can playback MIDI's with that method from outside the game and inside DosBox, of course. Then I start the game and when I select Gravis Ultrasound for digital output it looks ok (but it sounds horrible though) and when I try to enable it for MIDI music playback and I test, it says

Cannot initialising card

What did I do wrong?
Can it depend on my different version? I'm using the Italian one I got for Hexmas, called Time Gate: Il Segreto dei Templari CD version.
Is it possible to set sb16 for digital and GUS for MIDI?

Reply 1 of 4, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it could be that it needs ultramid to be either loaded or unloaded, if you autoload it...then don't, and if you don't, start ultramid before starting the game and its setup.
Mixing cards is possible, easier than with real hardware, too.

I do wonder who wrote "Cannot initalising card" as an error...

Reply 2 of 4, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do wonder who wrote "Cannot initalising card" as an error...

That's easily explainable:
Since probably the other window says "Initialising card" so they were prolly copying the code and replacing the text and they forgot to adjust the middle part and they were anyway busy making an excellent game.

Reply 3 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The game uses HMI sound drivers, and the setup built into the main executable is rather limited in the available hardware settings for GUS. DOSBox's default GUS settings are not automatically detected and some are not available for manual selection, which may be related to an issue discussed in this thread: The Terminator: Future Shock/SkyNET - Ultrasound doesn't work for music

Unfortunately, there is no SETUP.INI to modify in this case; possibly because the game has its own setup rather than using an HMI setup program. With no other obvious options, I manually edited HMISET.CFG to use DOSBox's default GUS settings:

[DIGITAL]
DeviceID = 0xe023
DeviceName = Gravis UltraSound
DevicePort = 0x240
DeviceDMA = 3
DeviceIRQ = 5

[MIDI]
DeviceID = 0xa00a
DeviceName = Gravis UltraSound
DevicePort = 0x240

With this configuration the digital sound is fine, not broken up like it is with autodetection; and the MIDI music sounds fine too. I used official DOSBox 0.74 with default settings except gus=true. Note that you must have the GUS instrument patches installed in C:\ULTRASND (or where the ULTRADIR environment variable indicates) in order for the music to work.