VOGONS

DOS antivirus , any left? (found F-PROT , latest virus definitions @ 2009)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 21 of 28, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am double-posting but I have GREAT news. A (the?) f-prot dev replied to my query on the f-prot forum...
he uploaded an updated version 3.16f with the latest 2009 definitions (so basically DOS is covered since I highly doubt there is a dos-only virus after that date - not to mention 2-3 years before...)
also using the /OLD switch disables the date check of the definitions 😀

what he wrote is this:

Hi keropi […]
Show full quote

Hi keropi

I dug this up again and here: To start F-PROT.exe (DOS), run it with /OLD to bypass the date checks. Also, in case this is a newer machine and no 3.5" floppy drive is installed, use the /NOFLOPPY option.

These options, and many more, are described when you run F-PROT with the /HELP option in the command prompt.

Best regards and merry Xmas
Finnbogi

The last definition files we created that were compatible with F-Prot for DOS 3.16f are from beginning of February 2009. They st […]
Show full quote

The last definition files we created that were compatible with F-Prot for DOS 3.16f are from beginning of February 2009. They still contain less number of signatures and heuristics than version 6's Antivir.def from the same date.

Here's a download link to the LAST F-Prot for DOS

https://forum.f-prot.com/public/fprot_dos_316f.zip

Best regards,
Finnbogi

all can be read here: https://forum.f-prot.com/index.php/topic,1901.0.html

also from the program info when you run f-prot DOS state that F-Prot/DOS is shareware but "free of charge for private, non-commercial users" , so yeah!!!! You get a free DOS antivirus that can disinfect files (at least the 2-3 viruses I had and tested it with) 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 23 of 28, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nah, I am not gonna use a pirated key... also try running it on a pentium200mhz with 64mb of ram... too slow and without any real reason since all those new viruses it detects do nothing at all on a DOS-only system

the f-prot av I posted above with it's 2009 definitions can detect 99% of the old DOS viruses that are present in old backups ...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25 of 28, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

butterfly, you totally "stole" my news 😜 (just kidding) but yeah V-buster is a new anti virus for dos. Anyway, I love this forum. But the search options, REALLY needs an overhaul, cause I had to use google for fucks sake to find this thread (again) so to the powers at be, either take a backup of this forum. And then migrate it to a new forum system such as envision or something similar, cause it is getting a pain using the search system here. When it is easier to do a google search such as "dos antivirus +vogons" so to the powers at be, here is my plea. Please do something about the search function/options, instead of me or any one else doing a google search to find a great "old thread".

Reply 26 of 28, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WolverineDK wrote:

butterfly, you totally "stole" my news 😜 (just kidding) but yeah V-buster is a new anti virus for dos. Anyway, I love this forum. But the search options, REALLY needs an overhaul, cause I had to use google for fucks sake to find this thread (again) so to the powers at be, either take a backup of this forum. And then migrate it to a new forum system such as envision or something similar, cause it is getting a pain using the search system here. When it is easier to do a google search such as "dos antivirus +vogons" so to the powers at be, here is my plea. Please do something about the search function/options, instead of me or any one else doing a google search to find a great "old thread".

I wouldn't expect much. Snover isn't very active on the forums these days, and I don't think anyone else has admin-level access to the forum software.

You can always use Google to search the forums by adding the search term site:www.vogons.org to your search.