VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally i am getting a chance to play thru Nomad Soul, and what fun it is.. and so interesting to see the fully animated characters and faces of the people..they actually have a full range of expressions..and the story is fun too....

the trick in case you have had trouble running it on XP is to make dummy files for the three opening videos...just make empty text files with the same name and then put on the extension and pop em into the game folder and it should run fine. These vids have a format that is not compatible with XP...and it stops even a decent and full install from authentic disks from running. I finally found the resources and info to get it running.

and look...a really working mirror! one of the few i have ever seen in any game 😀

omk1.jpg

and the world is beautifully individualistic, the art style is remarkable and fun to explore...

omk5.jpg

i have put together a patch pack for this game ......you will need to own an authentic actual copy of the game to use this patch and to run the game you will need an authentic disk in the drive...usually number 2 of of the disk set.

the patch pack also has some optional mods that allow you to change bodies, and adjust some of the skins. Plus SAVE games and some other goodies.

Here is the patch for XP ...including SP3 Pro

http://www.filefront.com/17381088/Omikiron Patch Pack 3.0.rar

A truly remarkable RPG and a wonderful adventure. Great voicing and music!

aom1g.jpg

aom6girl.jpg

You will have to own actual and authentic game disks for this to work and i have had to play with the correct disk in the drive..usually number 2.

Admin
3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com/

Reply 1 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do have my own copy of this somewhere (complete with flyer for the David Bowie internet experience). Never got around to playing it, of course.

CrisGer wrote:

the trick in case you have had trouble running it on XP is to make dummy files for the three opening videos...just make empty text files with the same name and then put on the extension and pop em into the game folder and it should run fine. These vids have a format that is not compatible with XP...

Is it just Indeo 5 again? Because it's quite possible to install that using iv5play.exe . (System Shock 2 has the same problem.)

i have put together a patch pack for this game ......you will need to own an authentic actual copy of the game to use this patch and to run the game you will need an authentic disk in the drive...usually number 2 of of the disk set.

the patch pack also has some optional mods that allow you to change bodies, and adjust some of the skins. Plus SAVE games and some other goodies.

So what is its principal function? Does it fix any bugs or allow higher resolutions or what, exactly?

Reply 2 of 19, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Jorpho.....Yes i think it is the indeo problem you can try and see it would be fun to have them back in.... it was a fix that we had to resort to to get it to run...and the vids are the standard EIDOS company log, and then the short gamestyle video for Kola, a soft drink for sale in the game...and one other...but if you make a dummy the game will fire up and bypass them.

the patch allows you to run on XP otherwise the game freezes up on start of play at the insert Disk Number 2 and you just cant get in. It is assembled resources shared by the player community much of which have moved on or are gone with the wind so i dont know all the details...i just know it works and am sharing it so others can enjoy this wonderful game.

There are a few mods out there too, and i have included several that are fun, including a body switcher that allows you to choose which "soul" to play as.... and a copy of the manual in case someone buys an old disk that did not come with a manual. the mods are seperate and optional and not part of the patch files.

Admin

Reply 3 of 19, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nay, the trouble is in-game Escape Player from Eidos, known as very Xp unfriendly.
In my case the game start w/o errors in Win98 comparability mode.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 19, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried every which way to use the compatabilty thing but none of them would make it run on my system. Hence the patch path. I see that THIEF and some other games have the same problem with the vids...and people have finally redone them to work. I suppose the same thing could be done with the vids from Nomad Soul but i dont know how.

Admin

Reply 5 of 19, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi CrisGer, what's your video card? I heard that nomad soul has got serious graphic problems with nowadays cards (especially ati cards) due to 16 bit z buffer not supported or something like that.

Reply 6 of 19, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have a FX 8600 and Nomad soul works fine if you choose the first rendering option...and use the fix to bypass the ideo movies which modern XP does not like.

Admin

Reply 7 of 19, by Trojax2010

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Escape player? Is that the same one used for the movies in Soul Reaver? I remember someone hacked the exe because it would not run on nvidia cards. Then later they had it running with rencoded Bink videos. Great to see a game liked that much. I guess the best solution would be to dummy them out.

Reply 9 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember picking up this game from a bargain bin around 7-8 years ago. Put it down after a bit because I had some more interesting games to play at the time, but have always meant to go back to it. In the meantime my Disk 1 got scratched really bad; I downloaded an ISO to replace it but never tested whether it would work.

It seems that people have been able to get it working on Linux via Wine, so that may be a better route than trying to run it on modern Windows OSes.

Reply 10 of 19, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am having no problem at all running it full feature on XP SP3 with a modern Nvida card......with the patch that i have

Admin

Reply 11 of 19, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I switched to Nvidia card recently (GTX460) and I was curious if this game will work since I had problems running it on ATI card.
Omikron the Nomad Soul - problem with graphics
I installed the game, copied no-cd patch files from CrisGer's file to game folder and... Omikron just works fine 😀 No graphical corruption, even intro movies are OK (no need dummy files!). The only problem I got is very very slow sneak menu.
I'm using Win7 64-bit and recent 260.99 drivers.

Reply 14 of 19, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Glad it worked for you Zebius. good to hear.

Admin

Reply 15 of 19, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So.. I just wanted to post here the summary of all Omikron's problems ever.
Why they appeared and why they disappeared.

The only thing I'm still wondering as you can see in the game article, is wherever audio is positional/surround and how to force deadzones in DirectInput controllers.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 16 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3D sound probably requires DirectSound3D and/or EAX (or even A3D?).

If you don't have a sound card with a workaround (Creative, Asus), then you could try IndirectSound.

Reply 17 of 19, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

3D sound probably requires DirectSound3D and/or EAX (or even A3D?).

If you don't have a sound card with a workaround (Creative, Asus), then you could try IndirectSound.

Yes, I know all that stuff :p
Though, when looking to audio record in Audacity, all channels looked similar.
Even with ALchemy (and indrectsound doesn't report any EAX call)

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 18 of 19, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

necroing this thread but I can run this without any issue on my dell precision m6400 in windows 10 64-bit, dual core cpu, m7820 firepro (radeon hd 6870M).

I didn't have to do anything to get it working, just runs 🤣.
on other machines i had to use dgvoodoo for dx11 wrapper to get it to run.

b0YscxE.jpg

i use msi afterburner + rivatunerstatistics to cap fps to 30 in this game so the lights work proper.

MSI MS-6734 KM3M mobo / Athlon XP 3000+ /512mb ddr1 ram
Voodoo 3 3000 PCI @185mhz / Aureal vortex 2 (dell oem)
3dfx ref. drivers win98se and dual boot with winXP-32 bit running amigasport 3.0 3dfx drivers oc'd with koolsmokey's V.Control in XP