VOGONS

Reply 20 of 49, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well, considering that there's no bug tracking system ala bugzilla

Considering that the bug tracking system of sourceforge is tracking bugs, i'd call it a bug tracking system.

Of course just havint a bug in a bug tracking system doesn't fix the bug, but anything you can
contribute to help fixing it is appreciated (though mac-specific things are usually tricky due to
testing "barriers"). If you can for example put together a small test program that behaves
like GTA regarding the fullscreen bug, that'd already help a lot.

Reply 22 of 49, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Since there's a difference between windowed and fullscreen the expected fix is as late
as possible, not? Like *not* somewhere around the graphics write or readout functions.

Why could it be fixed during line drawing? If it's easier and faster to do it there, may be fine too.

Reply 24 of 49, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The thread title and reported facts seem a bit contradictory, I'm reading that the issue (maybe separate issues) affects both windowed and fullscreen in 0.74. That screenshot is Trucks in windowed mode.

Reply 25 of 49, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@orka: the OP reports this for version 0.74, since you are also useing 0.74, it is really to be expected that you STILL suffer the same bug...

And @wd, hal, ripsaw, the bug really is not only fullscreen but also windowed mode. I can try stuff out again if you want though. Easiest way to reproduce it is running Tomb Raider intro, running Windows 3.11 in high colours. If you want I can run more tests.
And as I wrote the screenshot function actually gives the correct colors even though dosbox displays the wrong ones 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 27 of 49, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'll see if I have them around and will report back

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 28 of 49, by Orka Borka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@wd: Sorry, never really noticed that dosbox has an account on Sourceforge.

By the way, I owe everybody a clarification, of course: the problem and the weird artifacts I've shown are from the game Trucks, which I was testing due to a different bug exposed on another thread. The game shows such problem after giving a message on using a VESA driver from Scitech (see the first screenshot), but the weird graphics glitches are visible even in other games.
Another game showing this problems is Earth 2140.

I'm not a coder (at least, I doubt that Max/Msp would be anyway useful in this case) but I could try doing some regression testing if it could be useful.

Attachments

Reply 29 of 49, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

ok, don't have whatvga at hand but vbetest and that one gives the wrong image starting from 15bits, see this screenshot:
left is the image CAPTURED by Dosbox (and which I presume is the correct one), right the image DISPLAYED by Dosbox
dosboxcolorerror.png
Output=opengl (though output doesn't matter, I tried them all with the same result)
machine=svga_s3, vesa_nolfb, vesa_oldvbe (svga_et3000, svga_et4000, svga_paradise did not work with vbetest directly and with univbe loaded only 4&8bit were useable)
machine=vgaonly doesn't work correctly to begin with (somewhere documented in the forum)

Going to test svn now but I doubt it makes a difference - Edit: made no difference on quick test with svga_s3 and vgaonly

Edit: There is a difference between fullscreen and windowed mode, in fullscreen the colors appear to be correct 😀

Last edited by Dominus on 2011-03-11, 23:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30 of 49, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

machine=vgaonly
again, left the captured image and right the displayed one.
dosboxvgaonly.png

In fullscreen there is another colorswitch
dosboxvgaonlyfs.png

Reply 31 of 49, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the white seems a bit blue in the fullscreen shot.
I think it would be interesting what the colour information from SDL is at each of those points.

I must say that the yellow startup message looks actually pretty nice 😀

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 33 of 49, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Anything else I can do to help?

Reply 34 of 49, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

As Qbix said the color format might be interesting (since the fullscreen thing hints
at a problem with a special color format, for example 5:5:5 or other 16bit specialities
on your OS), maybe somebody can directly tell you what to modify.

Reply 35 of 49, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Quick rundown that may help:
put some logging into GFX_SetSize to see which paths are taken when something
is working fine, and which ones are taken for a screwed up output. Try posting some
short summary if there's anything interesting or unusual looking. Then put some
additional logging to the SDL_SetVideoMode codes that are used, especially what
goes in (bpp for example) and the details of the returned SDL surface, especially
the stuff in the pixel format like sdl.surface->format->whatever

Reply 36 of 49, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm sorry, I know we've did stuff like that before but I'm daft at this programming stuff and forget it a week later. Can you give me detailed instructions of where to put which logging instructions?
And then I'll do the logging ASAP (my hard drive acted up yesterday and I need to restore my system and hope the hard drive is not busted).

Reply 37 of 49, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Oh better care about your HD first 😉

For the first part, browse the code in GFX_SetSize a bit, in the first code blocks
put some LOG_MSG("here 1"); things so you see which of the if() cases are used
to determine the relevant SDL_SetVideoMode calls.

I assume you're using output=surface and windowed mode for testing, so take
the vbetest example you've posted a screenshot recently.

Reply 38 of 49, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Logging like this:

line 454 in sdlmain.cpp:

LOG_MSG("windowed SDL_SetVideoMode bpp==%x, flags==%x",bpp,flags);
sdl.surface=SDL_SetVideoMode(width,height,bpp,(flags & GFX_CAN_RANDOM) ? SDL_SWSURFACE : SDL_HWSURFACE);
LOG_MSG("-> flags==%x, bpp==[%d;%d], r==%x:%d:%d, g==%x:%d:%d, b==%x:%d:%d, a==%x:%d:%d",sdl.surface->flags,
sdl.surface->format->BytesPerPixel,sdl.surface->format->BitsPerPixel,
sdl.surface->format->Rmask,sdl.surface->format->Rshift,sdl.surface->format->Rloss,
sdl.surface->format->Gmask,sdl.surface->format->Gshift,sdl.surface->format->Gloss,
sdl.surface->format->Bmask,sdl.surface->format->Bshift,sdl.surface->format->Bloss,
sdl.surface->format->Amask,sdl.surface->format->Ashift,sdl.surface->format->Aloss);

Reply 39 of 49, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Is this sole instance enough?
For this I get
windowed SDL_SetVideoMode bpp==20, flags==128
-> flags==4, bpp==[4;32], r==ff00:8:0, g==ff0000:16:0, b==ff000000:24:0, a==0:0:8

Test case to compare your output: vbetest -> [0] - Interactive Mode -> [2] - 15 bits per pixel mode -> [1] 640x480x15, 3 Page... -> [0] Banked Framebuffer Mode

(I had some time to do this while I make a long backup of my data - fortunately nothing got lost and while I have a fairly recent backup I want to make sure I have everything - then I'l need to redo my mac it seems 🙁 )