VOGONS

First post, by isaackoi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wonder if someone here can help.

For about 20 years, one of the largest databases of Unidentified Flying Objects reports was maintained by a ufologist called Larry Hatch. There are quite a few references to Larry's database online. It had tens of thousands of records complete with references to relevant UFO books/magazines.

Unfortunately, it was supplied as a DOS program on a floppy disc. The relevant programmer had serious health problems a few years ago and dropped out of contact with those in the UFO field. His website has disappeared, save for via the Wayback Machine's Internet Archive:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060701162858/www … t/ALLABOUT.html

As stated on that webpage by Larry, his database "*U*", is "now a large stand-alone DOS application, written in C-language for PC, with supporting files. *U* is unique. The only part 'off-the-shelf' was the Borland C-language compiler".

I'd like to get his database running on the current generation of computers/Windows.

I'll explain below my brief attempts so far.

Reply 1 of 6, by isaackoi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have downloaded DosBox a couple of times in the last four or so years in an attempt to get the relevant database program working. I've read the "README" documentation and mounted a directory containing the files that were installed in the relevant directory on my old computer. (Since the program was originally supplied on a floppy, and I no longer have a floppy drive, this is probably the best I can do).

The files comprise: one .exe file ("u.exe"), one .rnd file and one .vce files (plus a couple of Word documentation files).

After mounting the relevant directory, I've typed "dir" and confirmed all the files are there.

I've then typed "u" to run the .exe file, but I immediately get an error message stating: "rv=255 minor biosdisk ID error : Error 0".

I don't know what to try next.

Reply 3 of 6, by isaackoi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"This application tries to access the disk via some low-level mechanism."

Many thanks for the quick response eL_PuSHeR.

Is there some (preferably easy...) way around this - or should I just give up?

It seems a considerable shame that someone dedicated countless hours to compiling such a database yet we are now not able to easily access that data.

By the way, from memory (and it has been a good couple of years), I don't think the relevant floppy disc had to be in the drive to run the database application - so presumably it is not essential for the application to access the floppy disk itself.

All the best,

Isaac

Reply 4 of 6, by isaackoi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In case it helps anyone that wants to look into these issues, I've found a downloadable copy of a demo of the relevant UFO database (with only some of the relevant data and some of its functions) in the Wayback Machine's archive of Larry's website at the webage below :

http://web.archive.org/web/20060708003228/www … DLINSTRUCT.html

Reply 5 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should drive it with an HD image in DOSBox or with another VM product like VirtualPC2007/Vmware Player/VirtualBox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 6, by isaackoi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DosFreak: "You should drive it with an HD image in DOSBox or with another VM product like VirtualPC2007/Vmware Player/VirtualBox."

Many thanks for that suggestion. It opened up another potential line of attack.

These possibilities, and a few others (notably accessing the relevant .rnd database file using a Hex editor and then trying to export the data into another format) are now being discussed on one of UFO discussion forums.

Just in case you are interested, the relevant discussion is at:
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread585935/pg1

Hopefully the relevant database can be rescued from oblivion. Thanks again for your helpful comments DosFreak and eL_PuSHer)

All the best,

Isaac