Common searches

Mouse Sensitivity Problem

Topic actions

First post, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had read several other messages here refering to mouse sensitivity problems with various games. I have a strange problem when running any of the WAD based games (DOOM/DOOM/etc...). There may be others, but those are the ones that I currently am seeing the problem in.

I had also read a message here in the forums refering to mouse sensitivity being higher in windowed mode verses fullscreen mode, and I also see this same behavior. I play the afore-mentioned games in fullscreen mode, and the mouse sensitivity is extremely slow.

Now the wierd thing:

Sometimes, every now and then, the mouse sensitivity suddenly starts working properly... but more times not. After the mouse starts to behave properly, I can start DOSBox, start one of the games, exit DOSBox, and repeat to my heart's desire, and the mouse sensitivity is just fine. But, after powering down the PC and restarting, it's back to the same sluggish mouse in DOSBox. I really don't understand why the problem could be so intermittent; when it starts working properly, it works fine until I power doen the PC.

Anyhow, running Windows XP SP2, DOSBox v0.73, with a Logitech 3-button PS2 Mouseman. I've tried using a default DOSBox.conf file, as well as twiddling with several settings that I had read about here in the forums (priority/cycles/etc...) to no avail.

BTW, when I'm experiencing the problem, the "sensitivity=" setting in the DOSBox.conf file has no effect whatsoever. I normally have this setting set to 250, but there is no change in mouse sensitivity when the problem is occuring (either by editing the DOSBox.conf file and restarting DOSBox, or by typing "sensitivity ###" within the running copy of DOSBox at the command line).

When all is working OK, then the "sensitivity=" seems to actually work then.

This has really got me scratching my head, as more times than not, it doesn't work (the mouse is extremely slow). But, occasionally the mouse sensitivity does indeed work. That is, till I power down the PC and then restart.

Any idea of what the problem could be?

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 1 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doesn't the Logitech software and Windows both have sensitivity settings for the mouse?

I'd try stopping the Logitech software from executing on bootup and see if that fixes it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 26, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Doesn't the Logitech software and Windows both have sensitivity settings for the mouse? I'd try stopping the Logitech software from executing on bootup and see if that fixes it.

I'm not using the Logitech software, but rather the stock PS2 Logitech driver that comes with Windows XP.

As far as the mouse sensitivity settings in Windows, I have that jacked all the way up. That's the way I've always had the mouse set in Windows, and the speed "feels" right to me within Windows.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 4 of 26, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Indeed there's an issue especially when the aspect ratio of the screenmodes change (most dramatic is going to 320x400/360x480)

I suppose that would explain why some games do it, and others don't (I suppose you're refering to the windowed verses fullscreen mode differences).

Although, it's still a mystery as to why (at least on my PC) in fullscreen the mouse sensitivity goes down to so little sometimes, yet other times not.

As an example, during the course of writing my first (and second) message posts in this thread, I fired up DOOM quite a few times. Each time, the problem was there.

Shut the PC down, did a bit of housework <ugh>, fired it up, and currently it works perfectly! I tried DOOM 4 or 5 times (i.e start DB/run DOOM/exit DOOM/exit DB/etc...) and it worked fine each time. *Also*, now the "sensitivity=" line in the DOSBox.conf file seems to working as well (apparently though, not from the command-line within DOSBox, but definately in the DOSBox.conf file).

I have a good hunch though, If I reboot (or powerdown), it won't be working again.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 6 of 26, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lightmaster wrote:

whats your priority setting in dosbox? try modifying it.-

Per my first message post, I tried that. When the problem is rearing it's ugly heard, I tired setting DOSBox's priority to all of the available settings (lowest, lower, normal, higher, highest/etc...). Unfortunately, that didn't help though.

P.S. (re: reboots and such) Yep, just fired up DOSBox and DOOM, and the mouse sensitivity is extremely low/slow, and the "sensitivity=" line is having no effect whatsoever.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 7 of 26, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

When the mouse condition is occuring, try this: open a command console window (cmd.exe) and type "SET SDL_VIDEODRIVER=WINDIB" and then run dosbox.exe from that same console window. The DOSBox Status Window should display "SDL_Init: Starting up with SDL windib video driver." From the name of the environment variable it might not seem that it would be related, but it does relate to directinput and the mouse.

If the mouse condition improves, it suggests a SDL+directinput issue; and would at least be something to go on for further research into the problem. If it does help, you could also use it as a workaround by creating a batch file that sets the env. var and runs DOSBox.

Reply 9 of 26, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

How many mice have you got in your devices manager?

Only one, "Logitech PS/2 Port Mouse"

ripsaw8080 wrote:

When the mouse condition is occuring, try this: open a command console window (cmd.exe) and type "SET SDL_VIDEODRIVER=WINDIB" and then run dosbox.exe from that same console window. The DOSBox Status Window should display "SDL_Init: Starting up with SDL windib video driver." From the name of the environment variable it might not seem that it would be related, but it does relate to directinput and the mouse.

If the mouse condition improves, it suggests a SDL+directinput issue; and would at least be something to go on for further research into the problem. If it does help, you could also use it as a workaround by creating a batch file that sets the env. var and runs DOSBox.

Thanks for the info, I definitely be giving that a try 😀 Heh, it figures... it's working properly right now!

(edit) P.S. Although it is currently working properly (without setting the environment variable), I noticed the following in the DOSBox status screen:

SDL_Init: Starting up with SDL windib video driver.
Try to update your video card and directx drivers!

Dunno if that helps or not, and currently not sure if it says the same thing when the mouse sensitivity isn't working properly (as right now it is).

P.P.S. Currently running DirectX v9.0c, if that helps any.

('nuther edit, and another P.S.) One thing that I noticed:

When the mouse sens. is acting up, I can load the old "Cute Mouse Driver" (CTMOUSE.EXE) within DOSBox, and then the mouse sens. is just fine, and "feels" right to me. I can even use the command line parameters that the CTMOUSE driver supports for changing the sens., and they work fine as well.

As soon as I unload the CTMOUSE driver, it's back to the same slow mouse sens. (that is, when the problem is happening).

Not sure if that info is any help though.

Last edited by rfnagel on 2010-04-11, 07:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 11 of 26, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

check HID devices too

None for the mouse. The only things that are listed for HID devices are "Generic Game port Device" and "HID-compliant game controller".

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 12 of 26, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Normally you should not see anything about windib in the status window if you don't have that environment variable set... would be interesting if its appearance coincided with the mouse condition.

BTW, CTMOUSE adds some acceleration, while DOSBox's internal mouse driver is more "flat" in its response.

Reply 13 of 26, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Normally you should not see anything about windib in the status window if you don't have that environment variable set... would be interesting if its appearance coincided with the mouse condition.

As soon as it starts acting up again, I'll post the info/results here.

ripsaw8080 wrote:

BTW, CTMOUSE adds some acceleration, while DOSBox's internal mouse driver is more "flat" in its response.

The default when loading the CTMOUSE driver feels about the same to me as having DOSBox's "sensitivity=" line set to 250. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that CTMOUSE's defaults are "3" (the range is 1 to 9 on the command line).

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 14 of 26, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I just booted up the PC tonight, the mouse sensitivity was extremely slow again. Unfortunately (or rather, I suppose, 'fortunately' <grin>) it started behaving properly rather quickly... so I didn't have enough time to test the "SET SDL_VIDEODRIVER=WINDIB" thing (before the mouse starting behaving properly on it's own).

But, I *was* able to have a look at the info in the DOSBox status screen when the mouse sensitivity was acting up:

DOSBox version 0.73
Copyright 2002-2009 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file C:\DOSBox\dosbox.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32
Serial1: Opening com1
Serial1: Serial Port "com1" could not be opened.
The specified port is already in use.
Using joystick Gravis GamePad with Gravis GamePad with 4 axes, 4 buttons and 0 hat(s)
MAPPER: Loading mapper settings from C:\DOSBox\mapper.txt
Failed to create hardware surface.
Restarting video subsystem with windib enabled.

...and as soon as the mouse started behaving properly (which was rather quick this time, the second time that I ran DOSBox), here is the info form the DOSBox status screen (similar to what I posted previosuly, but the following is the entire thing):

DOSBox version 0.73
Copyright 2002-2009 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
SDL_Init: Starting up with SDL windib video driver.
Try to update your video card and directx drivers!
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file C:\DOSBox\dosbox.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32
Serial1: Opening com1
Serial1: Serial Port "com1" could not be opened.
The specified port is already in use.
Using joystick Gravis GamePad with Gravis GamePad with 4 axes, 4 buttons and 0 hat(s)
MAPPER: Loading mapper settings from C:\DOSBox\mapper.txt

As soon as I can reliable test it when the mouse is not working peoperly, I'll try the "SET SDL_VIDEODRIVER=WINDIB" environment variable, and post the results here.

P.S. The "Serial1: Serial Port "com1" could not be opened." was due to me being online... as I have an external modem on COM1, which I have setup in DOSBox as well.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 15 of 26, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, this is sort of hard to describe... I'll try not to ramble on too much <grin>.

First of all, I powered down the PC and restarted. I then started DOSBox and DOOM2 (via my normal DOSBox start menu shortcut), and the mouse was slow. Exited DOOM2 and DOSBox, restarted DOSBox and DOOM2, and the mouse was still slow.

I then set the "SDL_VIDEODRIVER=WINDIB" environment variable from the command prompt, started DOSBox within the command prompt window (in my case, "C:\DOSBox\dosbox.exe -conf C:\DOSBox\dosbox.conf"), and ran DOOM2. The mouse sensitivity was fine then.

I did this two more times, each time exiting and restarting the command prompt window (set env. variable from the command prompt, run DOSBox using the above commands in a CMD.EXE window, and ran DOOM2)... and each time the mouse sensitivity was OK.

I then tried running DOSBox from my regular start menu shortcut (which is the same as the command line I used above; "C:\DOSBox\dosbox.exe -conf C:\DOSBox\dosbox.conf"), and the mouse sensitivity was slow again. Tried this two more times, and each time the mouse sensitivity was slow.

Then I did this:

I started DOSBox from my start menu shortcut and ran DOOM2. As DOOM2 was runing I ALT+ENTER(ed) to put DOSBox (and DOOM2) in a window, and then ALT+ENTER(ed) again to put it in fullscreen. Same results... the mouse sensitivity was slow in fullscreen (although, as I've mentioned previously, when DOSBox is running in a window it's fine).

After that, I did this:

I started DOSBox from my start menu shortcut, and ran DOOM2. Mouse was slow.

Then, I ALT+TAB(ed) to the DOSBox status window, which brought the status window fullscreen.

Lastly, I ALT+TAB(ed) back to DOSBox; which at this point was running in a window; and then ALT+ENTER(ed) to switch DOSBox to fullscreen..................

THE MOUSE SENSITIVITY WAS FINE THEN!

Exited DOOM2 and DOSBox, and repeated the above several times, each time with the same above results:

DOSBox and DOOM2 was running fullscreen, mouse sensitivity was slow;

Then, after ALT+TAB(ing) to the fullscreen DOSBox status window, ALT+TAB(ing) back to DOSBox (which at that point was running in a window), and then ALT+ENTER(ing) to bring DOSBox back to fullscreen, the mouse sensitivity was fine each time I ran DOSBox like that 😀

Weird, huh?

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 17 of 26, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

what are your PC specifications? (mainly gfx card and latest drivers)

I have a Dell Dimension 4600:

Intel P4 2.66 GHz CPU
512MB RAM
Onboard Intel 82865G Graphics Controller with 64MB shared video memory

Latest/last digitally signed video drivers from Dell's site;
Provider: Intel Corp
Date: 7/19/2005
Version: 6.14.10.4363

SBLive Value (static 96MB RAM dedicated for SoundFonts)/USB 2.0 ports/LPT port/Serial port (hooked to an external modem)/Logitech PS2 MouseMan/etc...

Running Windows XP SP2

robertmo wrote:

enclose your dosbox's config file

Here is my usual DOSBox.conf that I use for most everything (except for quite a few games that I have that require additional "tweaking"):

# This is the configurationfile for DOSBox 0.73.
# Lines starting with a # are commentlines.
# They are used to (briefly) document the effect of each option.

[sdl]
# fullscreen: Start dosbox directly in fullscreen.
# fulldouble: Use double buffering in fullscreen.
# fullresolution: What resolution to use for fullscreen: original or fixed size (e.g. 1024x768).
# windowresolution: Scale the window to this size IF the output device supports hardware scaling.
# output: What video system to use for output.
# Possible values: surface, overlay, opengl, openglnb, ddraw.
# autolock: Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen.
# sensitivity: Mouse sensitivity.
# waitonerror: Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.
# priority: Priority levels for dosbox. Second entry behind the comma is for when dosbox is not focused/minimized. (pause is only valid for the second entry)
# Possible values: lowest, lower, normal, higher, highest, pause.
# mapperfile: File used to load/save the key/event mappings from.
# usescancodes: Avoid usage of symkeys, might not work on all operating systems.

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=250
waitonerror=true
priority=highest,highest
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]
# language: Select another language file.
# machine: The type of machine tries to emulate.
# Possible values: hercules, cga, tandy, pcjr, ega, vgaonly, svga_s3, svga_et3000, svga_et4000, svga_paradise, vesa_nolfb, vesa_oldvbe.
# captures: Directory where things like wave, midi, screenshot get captured.
# memsize: Amount of memory DOSBox has in megabytes.
# This value is best left at its default to avoid problems with some games,
# though few games might require a higher value.
# There is generally no speed advantage when raising this value.

language=
machine=svga_s3
captures=capture
# memsize=16
memsize=31

[render]
# frameskip: How many frames DOSBox skips before drawing one.
# aspect: Do aspect correction, if your output method doesn't support scaling this can slow things down!.
# scaler: Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes. If 'forced' is appended,the scaler will be used even if the result might not be desired.
# Possible values: none, normal2x, normal3x, advmame2x, advmame3x, advinterp2x, advinterp3x, hq2x, hq3x, 2xsai, super2xsai, supereagle, tv2x, tv3x, rgb2x, rgb3x, scan2x, scan3x.

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
# core: CPU Core used in emulation. auto will switch to dynamic if available and appropriate.
# Possible values: auto, dynamic, normal, simple.
Show last 189 lines
#   cputype: CPU Type used in emulation. auto is the fastest choice.
# Possible values: auto, 386, 386_slow, 486_slow, pentium_slow, 386_prefetch.
# cycles: Amount of instructions DOSBox tries to emulate each millisecond. Setting this value too high results in sound dropouts and lags. Cycles can be set in 3 ways:
# 'auto' tries to guess what a game needs.
# It usually works, but can fail for certain games.
# 'fixed #number' will set a fixed amount of cycles. This is what you usually need if 'auto' fails.
# (Example: fixed 4000)
# 'max' will allocate as much cycles as your computer is able to handle
#
# Possible values: auto, fixed, max.
# cycleup: Amount of cycles to increase/decrease with keycombo.
# cycledown: Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=auto
cputype=auto
# cycles=auto
cycles=max
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
# nosound: Enable silent mode, sound is still emulated though.
# rate: Mixer sample rate, setting any device's rate higher than this will probably lower their sound quality.
# Possible values: 22050, 44100, 48000, 32000, 16000, 11025, 8000, 49716.
# blocksize: Mixer block size, larger blocks might help sound stuttering but sound will also be more lagged.
# Possible values: 2048, 4096, 8192, 1024, 512, 256.
# prebuffer: How many milliseconds of data to keep on top of the blocksize.

nosound=false
# rate=22050
rate=44100
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
# mpu401: Type of MPU-401 to emulate.
# Possible values: intelligent, uart, none.
# mididevice: Device that will receive the MIDI data from MPU-401.
# Possible values: default, win32, alsa, oss, coreaudio, coremidi, none.
# midiconfig: Special configuration options for the device driver. This is usually the id of the device you want to use. See README for details.

mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=default
midiconfig=

[sblaster]
# sbtype: Type of sblaster to emulate.
# Possible values: sb1, sb2, sbpro1, sbpro2, sb16, none.
# sbbase: The IO address of the soundblaster.
# Possible values: 220, 240, 260, 280, 2a0, 2c0, 2e0, 300.
# irq: The IRQ number of the soundblaster.
# Possible values: 7, 5, 3, 9, 10, 11, 12.
# dma: The DMA number of the soundblaster.
# Possible values: 1, 5, 0, 3, 6, 7.
# hdma: The High DMA number of the soundblaster.
# Possible values: 1, 5, 0, 3, 6, 7.
# sbmixer: Allow the soundblaster mixer to modify the DOSBox mixer.
# oplmode: Type of OPL emulation. On 'auto' the mode is determined by sblaster type. All OPL modes are Adlib-compatible, except for 'cms'.
# Possible values: auto, cms, opl2, dualopl2, opl3, none.
# oplemu: Provider for the OPL emulation. compat or old might provide better quality (see oplrate as well).
# Possible values: default, compat, fast, old.
# oplrate: Sample rate of OPL music emulation. Use 49716 for highest quality (set the mixer rate accordingly).
# Possible values: 22050, 49716, 44100, 48000, 32000, 16000, 11025, 8000.

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=5
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=default
# oplrate=22050
oplrate=44100

[gus]
# gus: Enable the Gravis Ultrasound emulation.
# gusrate: Sample rate of Ultrasound emulation.
# gusbase: The IO base address of the Gravis Ultrasound.
# Possible values: 240, 220, 260, 280, 2a0, 2c0, 2e0, 300.
# gusirq: The IRQ number of the Gravis Ultrasound.
# Possible values: 5, 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12.
# gusdma: The DMA channel of the Gravis Ultrasound.
# Possible values: 3, 0, 1, 5, 6, 7.
# ultradir: Path to Ultrasound directory. In this directory
# there should be a MIDI directory that contains
# the patch files for GUS playback. Patch sets used
# with Timidity should work fine.

gus=true
# gusrate=22050
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
gusirq=5
gusdma=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
# pcspeaker: Enable PC-Speaker emulation.
# pcrate: Sample rate of the PC-Speaker sound generation.
# tandy: Enable Tandy Sound System emulation. For 'auto', emulation is present only if machine is set to 'tandy'.
# Possible values: auto, on, off.
# tandyrate: Sample rate of the Tandy 3-Voice generation.
# disney: Enable Disney Sound Source emulation. (Covox Voice Master and Speech Thing compatible).

pcspeaker=true
# pcrate=22050
pcrate=44100
tandy=auto
# tandyrate=22050
tandyrate=44100
disney=true

[joystick]
# joysticktype: Type of joystick to emulate: auto (default), none,
# 2axis (supports two joysticks),
# 4axis (supports one joystick, first joystick used),
# 4axis_2 (supports one joystick, second joystick used),
# fcs (Thrustmaster), ch (CH Flightstick).
# none disables joystick emulation.
# auto chooses emulation depending on real joystick(s).
# Possible values: auto, 2axis, 4axis, 4axis_2, fcs, ch, none.
# timed: enable timed intervals for axis. (false is old style behaviour).
# autofire: continuously fires as long as you keep the button pressed.
# swap34: swap the 3rd and the 4th axis. can be useful for certain joysticks.
# buttonwrap: enable button wrapping at the number of emulated buttons.

joysticktype=ch
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=true
buttonwrap=true

[serial]
# serial1: set type of device connected to com port.
# Can be disabled, dummy, modem, nullmodem, directserial.
# Additional parameters must be in the same line in the form of
# parameter:value. Parameter for all types is irq.
# for directserial: realport (required), rxdelay (optional).
# (realport:COM1 realport:ttyS0).
# for modem: listenport (optional).
# for nullmodem: server, rxdelay, txdelay, telnet, usedtr,
# transparent, port, inhsocket (all optional).
# Example: serial1=modem listenport:5000
# Possible values: dummy, disabled, modem, nullmodem, directserial.
# serial2: see serial1
# serial3: see serial1
# serial4: see serial1

serial1=directserial realport:com1
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]
# xms: Enable XMS support.
# ems: Enable EMS support.
# umb: Enable UMB support.
# keyboardlayout: Language code of the keyboard layout (or none).

xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=auto

[ipx]
# ipx: Enable ipx over UDP/IP emulation.

ipx=true

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
@ECHO OFF
MIXER MASTER 75:75
MOUNT C C:\GAMES -FREESIZE 1000
# VER SET 5 0
VER SET 7 10
SET PATH=C:\;C:\DOS;C:\FED;GM_RESET;C:\NC;C:\NE;C:\NU;C:\PATH;C:\PKZIP;C:\TEMP;Z:\
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\TEMP
C:
CLS
robertmo wrote:

(you use fullscreen=true, what if you use fullscreen=false?)

Same thing. Luckily (or rather, unluckily <grin>) I'm currently having the mouse problem; so I edited my DOSBox.conf to "fullscreen=false", ran DOSBox, and then DOOM2. As before, windowed mode was fine, but after ALT+ENTER(ing) to fullscreen mode, the mouse sensitivity was slow again.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 18 of 26, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey folks, long time, no type.

Hate to dig up this ancient thread, but I'm still plagued by this exact same problem. Something that I've recently discovered though (re: ALT+TABbing to the DOSBox "Status" window):

I usually run DOSBox with the "-noconsole" command-line parameter. I noticed that it I run DOSBox with that, then I experience the problem. If I run DOSBox *WITHOUT* the "-noconsole" command-line parameter (allowing DOSBox to start up it's "Status" window in the background), the problem was *NOT* there.

I tested this quite a few times with the exact same results... add the command-line parameter, the problem was there. Remove the command-line parameter, the problem was not there.

I didn't even have to ALT+TAB to the "Status" window, and then back to the game again (like I had previously mentioned in this message thread); without the "-noconsole" command-line parameter, it worked perefectly every time 😀

Any idea as to what could cause this weird behavior? There's been several other messages here in the forums over the past 2 years or so refering to the horizintal axis mouse response problem.

(Edit) P.S. Forgot to mention... I noticed that when using the CTMouse driver (my "quick fix" that I've mentioned previously), my middle mouse button doesn't function at all (so I'd prefer not to use that driver, as I also use the middle mouse button in all of the WAD-based games in question).

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel