VOGONS

First post, by gm_matthew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't help but feel that the way the screen size changes in Pinball Fantasies and Illusions is weird, particularly with Pinball Illusions. The screen resolution changes to an irregular size at each of these moments:

1. Main menu of Fantasies, when the sidebar slides in.
2. Several times during Illusions intro.
3. Illusions main menu, looks fine at first but turns out that borders are trimmed.
4. High resolution modes in Illusions, trimming the sides (yes, they work okay if you set the machine type to svga_et3000, but the sides are still trimmed).

It seems that the two games tend to cut any black sections from the screen whenever they do this. It is most annoying with the sidebar in Fantasies and the Illusions intro, since in full-screen mode the image is not positioned correctly.

Is it DOSBox that is doing this, or is it the games doing weird stuff with the VGA/SVGA? And can it be fixed somehow?

Reply 2 of 18, by gm_matthew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I've just tried it, it doesn't work. I've tried loads of other combinations, and none of them have worked, so I think it will take more than just a simple config adjustment.

Also, my usual settings are:

fullresolution=1920x1200 (my native resolution)
output=overlay (scales the image very nicely)
aspect=true
scaler=normal2x (because that's how a real VGA card displays low resolutions)

I actually once coded a cheap workaround for the sidebar in Fantasies, by checking if the game is trying to change to a weird resolution (i.e. 256x480), if it is, change to the intended output resolution (640x480). This worked for the sidebar, with no artifacts; it would need adjusting for Illusions since otherwise the image would not be centered.

I could always implement this, but I was wondering if there was a way to do it properly.

Reply 3 of 18, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

They change the screen size a lot usually, there already exist some workarounds
like keeping the old screensize for a moment to "buffer" rapid successions of
height changes (like when tilting and so).

Reply 4 of 18, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gm_matthew wrote:

4. High resolution modes in Illusions, trimming the sides (yes, they work okay if you set the machine type to svga_et3000, but the sides are still trimmed).

looks ok to me.

Attachments

• illusion_001.png
    Filename
    illusion_001.png
    File size
    56.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 18, by gm_matthew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With the SVGA modes in Pinball Illusions, it's not so much of a problem, the game looks and plays fine. Just so you know, what I actually meant is that I would have expected there to be black borders on each side, filling the screen up to 640x480 or 800x600. As it is, these black borders are not shown.

It's mainly the Fantasies sidebar and the Illusions intro screen sizes I find particularly annoying.

Reply 6 of 18, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Black borders are sooooo interesting 😀
Even if we were masochists it's not easy to determine the width of the black bars with the kind of trick the game uses. Some other game may use the same mechanism to hide 'junk' on this area of the screen. Also it would take a bit more CPU to emulate.

1+1=10

Reply 7 of 18, by gm_matthew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right, from what I can gather, it is the games, not DOSBox, that are setting up these weird screen modes. So I now think that probably the best way to get around these is just to go with the cheap workaround, at least with the Fantasies sidebar and the Illusions intro. Thanks everyone.

Reply 8 of 18, by Cosmin3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.
I'm using the latest DosBox version (0.74).
I tried Pinball Fantasies.
In normal resolution looks fine:

table4001.png

But in high resolution is not:

table4000.png

Is there anything that can be done...?

Some informations:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M52L-S3P
Processor type and speed: AMD Athlon 5000 dual core
Amount and type of RAM: 2 GB DDR II
Video board w/ RAM amount and type: GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB DDRAM III
Sound board: Realtek (included in mainboard).
Operating system: Windows XP SP3
Reproducibility of problem: always
Sound mode used: Soundblaster 16
Steps already attempted to solve the problem: I have read and tried the instructions from Readme and from this thread with no improvement.

Best regards, Cosmin3

Reply 10 of 18, by Cosmin3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you.
The problem is that in fullscreen "aspect=true" doesn't let me see the "taskbar" (where that yellow text is displayed).
With "machine=vgaonly" I don't see any difference in colors.

Reply 11 of 18, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If you mean the bottom of the screen is clipped off in fullscreen, try setting fullresolution= to a specific resolution that your monitor is happier with (1024x768, 1280x1024, etc.)

Check out the attached pics and maybe you'll notice the difference in the colors for the lower table graphics.

Attachments

• pf_vgaonly.png
    Filename
    pf_vgaonly.png
    File size
    22.42 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    machine=vgaonly
    File license
  • pf_svga_s3.png
    Filename
    pf_svga_s3.png
    File size
    22.4 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    machine=svga_s3
    File license

Reply 12 of 18, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

>The problem is that in fullscreen "aspect=true" doesn't let me see the "taskbar" (where that yellow text is displayed).
set your
fullresolution=
and
output=

>With "machine=vgaonly" I don't see any difference in colors.
check the F2 and F4 table pictures

Reply 13 of 18, by Cosmin3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With this settings now it displays fine:
fullresolution=1024x768
output=ddraw
When I said I don't see any difference I was talking about the tables themselves, not the image in intro. But this is good too 😀

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards, Cosmin3

Reply 16 of 18, by Cosmin3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the double post but this one is about something else: speed.
The tables are moved up and down to keep the ball in sight. But when it's doing that it "wobbles" (I hope it's the correct word), making "waves"... When it's moving fast you can see it better.
When you play minutes or dozens of minutes it becomes very annoying.
It's like having a slow CPU and/or a slow video card.
I changed "cycles" to "max" and different values for "machine", no effect.

What should I do...?

Reply 18 of 18, by Cosmin3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The refresh rate is at max (for my monitor): 75 Hz. I could try to lower it but my eyes would not be too happy 😉
Luckily it seems to work with fulldouble=true. The tables are now displayed fine.
Oh, now the intro has tearing effects (because DosBox is slower) but it's not such a big problem..

Thank you.