VOGONS

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

About half a year ago I was testing one of my old boards which I had only recently found the manual (including the fsb jumpers) for.

It's an older 486 VLB board which officially supports 25, 33, 40 and 50 mhz, nothing out of the ordinary.
So at some point I was thinking...wouldn't it be cool to have atleast 1 board of mine be able to run my intel 486SX-16 at stock speed?

So I thought since these 486 boards often have just 4 official fsb settings BUT have a total of 8 different combinations there might be some extra, interesting, fsb settings possible that are not mentioned in any manual.

And so I set up for testing these undocumented fsb jumpers on 3 different 486 boards!
To be on the safe side I decided to use my highest clocked 1x multi cpu I have but since I only have one Intel dx-50 I went for the next best thing, my most badly scratched amd dx-40, just in case my testing would ruin the cpu.

First I'd install 1 bar of 60ns fpm memory, an ISA video card and the badly scratched dx-40, set the jumpers to a very low fsb, boot and set everything in the BIOS to the lowest settings.
Then I'd reboot to make sure things still worked, then I'd turn off and let the testing begin!
For testing I put a large copper heatsink on the cpu, just in case 😉.
WHen booting I'd wait till I saw the cpu speed and, if it were REALY high, turn the PSU off before anything got damaged! but long enough for me to read the fsb reading on power up

Here are the results, 0 means off and 1 means on, "MANUAL" means this setting is in the manual

Mobo #1: TK 8498F (a.k.a. F4DXL-UC4), VLB socket 3
-----------
jp4 jp5 jp6
-----------
0 0 0 25mhz (unofficial)
0 0 1 25mhz, MANUAL
0 1 0 NO BOOT
0 1 1 40mhz, MANUAL
1 0 0 50mhz, MANUAL
1 0 1 NO BOOT
1 1 0 NO BOOT, heard weird crackling through pc speaker, no good!
1 1 1 33mhz, MANUAL

Conclusion; That didn't bring much, except that this board seemed to have 2 different ways to set the bus to 25mhz 🙁

Mobo #2: Acer VI15G, VLB socket 3. Here you have to set JP11 1-2, 3-4 or 5-6
-----------
1-2 3-4 5-6
-----------
0 0 0 NO BOOT
0 0 1 40mhz, MANUAL
0 1 0 50mhz. MANUAL
0 1 1 25mhz (unofficial)
1 0 0 NO BOOT, GOT A BEEP
1 0 1 25mhz, MANUAL
1 1 0 33mhz, MANUAL
1 1 1 25mhz (unofficial and ran REALY SLOW for some reason)

Conclusion; Also no extra settings discovered, the last 25mhz for some reason ran much slower the the other 2 25mhz???

Mobo #3: Elitegroup UM8810P-AIO rev 1.0, PCI socket 3. This board sets JP17 for the fsb
-----------
1-2 3-4 5-6
-----------
0 0 0 20mhz (unofficial), lowest I got so far!
0 0 1 50mhz, MANUAL
0 1 0 60mhz!!!
0 1 1 66mhz!!!!
1 0 0 25mhz, MANUAL
1 0 1 66mhz!!!!
1 1 0 40mhz, MANUAL
1 1 1 33mhz, MANUAL

Conclusion; Finally some success! I got as low as 20mhz and found jumper settings for 60mhz and 66mhz!!!
I doubt this board would be able to handle these high settings, let alone any PCI card!

I was realy surprised any mainboard manufacturer would ever even consider using a 66mhz fsb on any 486.
Think about the possibilities...an AMD 5x86-133 overclocked to 266mhz...that would've been sick 🤣!

Well, hope you enjoyed reading this...feel free to blindly test some of your own old motherboards yourself hehe, it's fun!! 😜

Reply 1 of 36, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have done something similar on a Biostar P1 board with intel FX chipset. I discovered, that it not only provided faster settings than documented, but also a slower one. That board did allow my P1 166 to run between 25 and 200 MHz. Sweet till dosbox caught up.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 2 of 36, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A long time ago I did similar tests on my PVI-486SP3 and found that the FSB can be lowered to 20 and 16 MHz. Since this board has no dividers except for ISA, this results in the VLB/PCI buses running out of spec (VLB: 20-50 MHz, PCI: 25-33 MHz).
With PCI cards installed, the 16 MHz setting did not work reliably, ISA/VLB cards were fine.

Reply 3 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you happen to have those jumper settings for the PVI-486SP3? I happen to have that same board (not sure what revision I got though) and would love being able to get it to 16mhz!
I also just discovered yesterday that that's my only 486 board that supports a PS/2 mouse!

I have a couple socket 4 boards but they are the Intel made ones which only come with a jumper for 60 and 66 and my only socket 5 doesn't even have any cache chips on it, only has the empty spots.

Reply 5 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

^
>> Do you happen to have those jumper settings for the PVI-486SP3?

*bump* 😀

I couldn't. When I went to test my SP3 it blew up -_-
Perhaps if I replace/remove the cap that blew up it might boot again though.

Reply 7 of 36, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh sorry, I seem to have overlooked this thread (sometimes the forum software "forgets" to highlight new posts).
Unfortunately I didn't write down the jumper settings for 16 and 20 MHz, but I will try to find them out in the evening. Stay tuned...

Reply 8 of 36, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^ Awesome, thanks very much, and I understand what you mean about new topics on the forum. Actually, speaking of how the forum works, it would be great to search for attachments. Over the years, many extremely useful attachments have been included in to people's posts. I would like to be able to browse these, either all of them, or by some kind of filtered search. 😀

Reply 9 of 36, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, here are some results from my PVI-486SP3: This thing can do 8 MHz! 🤣

CPU: Intel 486DX-50
Board revision: 1.8
Clock chip: VT8228 (if you have a board with the AV9155, settings are different)

MHz   16   08   40   20   50   25   40   33   48
-------------------------------------------------
JP25 2-3 1-2 2-3 1-2 2-3 1-2 1-2 1-2 1-2
JP26 2-3 2-3 1-2 1-2 2-3 2-3 1-2 2-3 1-2
JP27 2-3 2-3 2-3 2-3 1-2 1-2 1-2 2-3 2-3
JP28 2-3 2-3 2-3 2-3 2-3 2-3 2-3 1-2 1-2

The BIOS displays the wrong speed (16 MHz) when running at 8 MHz, and at 48 MHz it shows either 40 or 50 MHz.

Have fun with this!
Btw, there is another mode at 2-3 2-3 1-2 1-2, but it is unstable (and VERY slow).

Reply 11 of 36, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yay, now my super slow SX-20 CPU boots at the correct 20 MHz speed! 😀 I "raced it" against an underclocked SX-33 running at 25 MHz using 3DBench, and the scores are:

SX-33 @ 25 MHz = 20.0 // Equivalent to a very slow 486
SX-20 @ 20 MHz = 15.8 // Equivalent to a 386 DX 33/40

Therefore, the SX-20 is 21% slower than a chip running at 25 MHz. This test set up consisted of all the mobo's BIOS settings set to their fastest values. BTW 5u3, please can you double-check your most excellent bus speed jumper table? I see two column entries with the same heading value of 40. Thanks a lot.

Reply 12 of 36, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

BTW 5u3, please can you double-check your most excellent bus speed jumper table? I see two column entries with the same heading value of 40.

Sorry, I didn't reformat the table, this is directly from my testing notes, so it may be a bit confusing to read.
40 MHz shows up twice because there are two settings to get 40 MHz from the clock chip.

Meanwhile I got the last setting I mentioned above (2-3 2-3 1-2 1-2) running. It required disabling the caches and forcing the ISA bus clock to 7.159 MHz in the BIOS setup.
It's another 8 MHz setting. I couldn't resist running Speedsys: 😀

8MHz.png

It took the CPU more than one and a half hours to draw what seems to be the most pitiful result for a 486 ever. 🤣

Reply 13 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

SX-33 @ 25 MHz = 20.0 // Equivalent to a very slow 486

Somehow I find this part quite funny 😜

Anyhow, I'm wondering if there might be any other boards that can run as slow as the SP3. The "wrong cpu speed" at post does indicate I'll need a better method of testing undocumented jumper settings. Back when I was testing some of my boards I already did have the feeling that sometimes 2 different jumper settings which posted the same speed actually ran at different speeds (sometimes would be VEEERY slow)

Reply 14 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

SX-20 @ 20 MHz = 15.8 // Equivalent to a 386 DX 33/40

Very nice!

That's a 386DX 40 right there...

Remember though that your video card also helps. So if you insert a ISA card (Cirrus Logic or ET4000) then you should have an equivalent to 386DX25 or 33!

Reply 15 of 36, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a great thread! 😀 Tetrium, I think it is sometimes prudent to disregard what the BIOS POST display says about the CPU speed. I have seen this occur, on other mobos. Eg, the BIOS POST will say 300 MHz, but it's really running at 315 MHz or 330 MHz. This example is from a SS7 mobo I was testing recently.

Also, do you remember the P233 MMX we were investigating, about how to overclock them - well, it's possible that the multi may have been successfully increased from 3.5 to 4, but because I looked at the BIOS POST display only to see the CPU speed, I thought that experiment had failed.

One way to find out the CPU speed is to run Speedsys.exe. I think that will be more accurate than relying on the BIOS POST display. 😀

Reply 17 of 36, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About the CPU speed reports from the BIOS: I reckon the BIOS checks for the CPUID, runs a simple timing loop and then matches the speed to a table entry. It doesn't seem to take bus speed and multipliers into account.

For example, the PVI-486SP3 BIOS easily gets fooled by unusual bus/multiplier settings. When you run a 486DX4 at 40x2=80 MHz instead of 25x3=75 MHz, the BIOS still reports 75 MHz for the CPU speed and sets the memory timings to very low values, which would be fine for a 25 MHz bus, but could get unstable at 40 MHz.

Reply 18 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

This is a great thread! 😀 Tetrium, I think it is sometimes prudent to disregard what the BIOS POST display says about the CPU speed. I have seen this occur, on other mobos. Eg, the BIOS POST will say 300 MHz, but it's really running at 315 MHz or 330 MHz. This example is from a SS7 mobo I was testing recently.

Also, do you remember the P233 MMX we were investigating, about how to overclock them - well, it's possible that the multi may have been successfully increased from 3.5 to 4, but because I looked at the BIOS POST display only to see the CPU speed, I thought that experiment had failed.

One way to find out the CPU speed is to run Speedsys.exe. I think that will be more accurate than relying on the BIOS POST display. 😀

Yes, I've seen this before also, but didn't think much of it and had since forgotten. I once tested a SS7 board and had it jumpered to a nonstandard fsb to overclock the cpu from 400 to around 415Mhz. It still showed 400Mhz and thought it was odd, but I kinda forgot about it until reading your comment 😉

Right now I'm in the middle of a lot of things, including redoing my entire house causing my attic to be near-impossible to walk through, let alone start doing tests. I reckon it can take a couple months before things turn back to normal here.

So anyone know of a small little program that I can boot from that can do a quick cpu-speed test from a batched bootable DOS disk?
Some of the settings I've tried before were I think really dangerous (66Mhz fsb on a 486 board?) and I'd rather not watch all my precious socket 3 boards go up in smoke you know 😜

Reply 19 of 36, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

So anyone know of a small little program that I can boot from that can do a quick cpu-speed test from a batched bootable DOS disk?

CHKCPU <-- This one is really nice!