VOGONS

Can't install

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I fail at the first hurdle. Running the installer results in an error message "program too big to fit in memory".

According to mem/c I've got 614k free conventional memory, 74.5k free upper memory, 0k free extended memory, and ~940k free XMS memory.

I can't find any info wrt the actual memory requirements so could someone enlighten me please?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Reply 2 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also are you sure that the game executable is not corrupted? That error is usually a sign that it is.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 9, by Unregistered

User metadata

I'm having the same problem. I downloaded VDMSound (tried 2.0.4 and 2.0.3) and when trying to install, the command prompt box pops open for half a second then closes. When I unchecked the "close on exit" box and try it, I get that same message - "Program is too big to fit in memory". I've tried everything I could think of to solve the problem like, maxing all the values in the memory tab and copying autoexec.nt/config.nt to the folder (created custom config) to no avail.

1.4 Athlon XP 1600+
256 DDR
GeForce2
WinXP Home
On board sound (Soundmax drivers)

Reply 6 of 9, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, no command prompt is supposed to pop up. Obviosuly Windows thinks that you are dealing with an MS-DOS .exe file when in fact it's a .msi file.

Open up a command prompt and type:

msiexec

What happens? If a dialog box pops up, then what version is the dialog box reporting?

V.

Reply 7 of 9, by Unregistered

User metadata

Thanks for the replies. 😀 I typed msiexec in the command prompt and I get a "Windows Installer" application pop-up with an OK button that says "Incorrect command line parameters. Windows installer V 2.00.2600.0. Portions of this software are based on the work of the Independent JPEG Group". Probably did'nt need that last bit but I figured what the heck hehe.

The wierd thing is, I downloaded the msi installer too but when I clicked it, nothing happened - might have been corrupted or something. Guess I'll try downloading it again.

Thanks again. 😀

Reply 8 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

You need the MSI installer program for MSI support. I'm not sure why it wouldn't have been preinstalled along with Windows XP...

This never happened on my XP home. Hrmm.