VOGONS

Glide-only Games

Topic actions

First post, by Nekto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These are games that have Glide, but have no Direct3D/OpenGL native or with patches:

Blood
Carmageddon
Descent 2
Dreams to Reality
EF2000
EF2000: TactCom
Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard
Extreme Assault
Gex 3D
Grand Theft Auto
Independence War: The Starship Simulator
Need For Speed 2 SE
Outlaws
Pandemonium 2
Red Baron 2
Screamer 2
Sentinel Returns
Shadow Warrior
Starfighter 3000
Test Drive: Off-Road 2
Tomb Raider
Turok
Whiplash

Write here, please, any game titles you know to be so.
I'll enter in _my_ list only titles I'll check myself, but contributors may to compile their own lists in this theme and edit them further.

Last edited by Nekto on 2010-01-02, 21:19. Edited 18 times in total.

Reply 2 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nekto wrote:

These are games that have Glide, but have no Direct3d/Opengl native or with patches.

Write here, please, any game titles you know to be so.

Why don't you just search the damn forum and find the thread from half a decade ago that already does this?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 22, by Nekto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Why don't you just search the damn forum and find the thread from half a decade ago that already does this?

I've made a search "glide only games" and "glide-only games" but have not found this wonderfull thread with the list of games I'm interested in. There is a list with glide-having games only.

Reply 7 of 22, by Nekto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote:

I know glukoza's list, some games there are what I seek, but not all (for example LoL2 have d3d in win). That's a list of games mainly wich have glide in dos, a little in windows, but not a list of glide-only games.

Reply 8 of 22, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then why dont you start one: *edit so you have
heres one to get you started mentioned because its one of my favourite games of all time
plus it has the bestest into evar
I-war

intro pt1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7AsRQXOUSY&feature=related

pt2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw1m2ZW1u84&feature=related

Reply 9 of 22, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, no trolling here, but what differences are there visible when you have glide enabled in let's say, Shadow Warrior?

Rise of the Triad modding site!
http://rott.s4.bizhat.com

Reply 10 of 22, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

few more for ya

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
NIRA Intense Import Drag Racing
XCar: Experimental Racing
Extreme 500
Manx TT Superbike
F-16 Multirole Fighter
MiG-29 Fulcrum
Joint Strike Fighter
Fighter Pilot
Nuclear Strike
screamer 2
screamer rally

EF2000 *not glide exactly as it sent commands directly to the voodoo card
Dreams to Reality *possibly the same as ef2000

Last edited by Davros on 2009-12-31, 18:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 22, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:
Texture filtering http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/383/swarr.jpg […]
Show full quote
temptingthelure wrote:

but what differences are there visible when you have glide enabled in let's say, Shadow Warrior?

Texture filtering
swarr.jpg

Only texture filtering? So, the only difference will be some textures will look crisper with glide then? May try it nonetheless, anyone know if any of the SW ports support glide? Ive tried the glide dosbox patch, and it doesnt work for me.

Reply 14 of 22, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Third party SW ports only have OpenGL 1.x support, as Glide is a dead API. There is also no glide code in the source release (3d realms didn't have Build engine code, they worked by linking .obj files), infact I wonder who even has the source to the 3dfx-ized Build core anymore? It's like early Polymost, and maybe they have the Blood source too.

3dfx SW doesn't support voxel sprites, which make up a lot of the cool stuff in the game. It's also SLOWER on actual 3dfx hardware at the time, so it was the worst way to play SW really.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 22, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Third party SW ports only have OpenGL 1.x support, as Glide is a dead API. There is also no glide code in the source release (3d realms didn't have Build engine code, they worked by linking .obj files), infact I wonder who even has the source to the 3dfx-ized Build core anymore? It's like early Polymost, and maybe they have the Blood source too.

3dfx SW doesn't support voxel sprites, which make up a lot of the cool stuff in the game. It's also SLOWER on actual 3dfx hardware at the time, so it was the worst way to play SW really.

Great info there, leileilol! Maybe ken silverman has that code somewhere. So, does this apply too to blood, then? I mean with glide enabled.

Reply 16 of 22, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unlike sw3dfx, 3dfx Blood requires a Voodoo Graphics card (Voodoo1) and doesn't run on any other 3dfx card.

Ken doesn't have the source of either Blood or Shadow Warrior and I doubt he'd have the 3dfx Build either.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 22, by Nekto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Davros

Great thanks for game titles, but I need to check them.

EF2000 *not glide exactly as it sent commands directly to the voodoo card. Dreams to Reality *possibly the same as ef2000

As I know there were some games that used statically compiled Glide, maybe you are right and some were programmed without Glide at all. I think, direct-voodoo games may be placed here too (with a remark "direct", for example), because besides glide-emulation, the secondary aim for the glide-only list is a basis for having a real voodoo card.

Reply 18 of 22, by Nekto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
temptingthelure wrote:

So, does this apply too to blood, then? I mean with glide enabled.

Blood with 3dfx-patch has no voxels too. Build engine games have maybe the worst implementation of Glide support and their software versions are better to play.

Reply 19 of 22, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Blood ran on my Voodoo 2 the same way it ran on my Voodoo 1 (buggy all the way). There is a D3D patch for Outlaws. The Shadow Warrior 3dfx port also runs in 16 bit colour, rather than 8 bit in software and has transparecies effects on explosions as well.