VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jenkinrocket

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure what I did, but while trying to run X com in dosbox I managed to make it so that no matter what shortcut or program I select, dos box opens and tries to run it. I've tried various things, including restarting the computer (around 44 dos boxes open trying to run various programs) and uninstalling dos box (dos box opens and says it cannot uninstall in itself, or something to that affect - also can't take it out in control panel, as it doesn't show there).

Tried system restore, but clicking on it merely opens another dosbox!

Please help!

Reply 1 of 10, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're the third person who's managed to do that and post here. See either thread:

Dosbox screwed up my computer - need help!!
Re: I dont know if this is Dosbox's fault or not but...help!!!

Reply 2 of 10, by jenkinrocket

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried everything in both threads, but nothing seems to work. I can't even reach regedit, safe mode doesn't allow me any more access. Deleting it is impossible...nothing seems to work.

Reply 4 of 10, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I exported the exe handler information from windows registry into the attached file (you need to rename it from .txt to .reg). Run it (doubleclick, or rightclick->merge) to add the information to the registry (it modifies .exe and exefile keys under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT). I've got Windows XP, but it might work in Vista.

Attachments

• Filename
    exefile.txt
    File size
    2.58 KiB
    Downloads
    244 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'd really like to know how you managed that. Did you follow a guide or something that had steps written down on how to install xcom?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 10, by jenkinrocket

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I didn't follow a guide. However, it seems (at least from the other threads I've found) that something about the combination of Power ISO and dosbox might be the problem.

I'm currently on a lab computer, but when I get home I'll try the exe file you attached, ripa. I found something like that in one of the other threads, and it said something about some keys still being open (even in safe mode it said this), but I'll try anyway.

The sad thing is, at this point, it won't even let me do a system restore. I put this computer together myself, so there is no factory settings switch, and when I try to pop the cd in and select it....more dosbox.

Reply 8 of 10, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the .reg file trick doesn't work (since it's not a .exe, it shouldn't launch dosbox when you use it), you should boot from the vista cd (set the optical drive as the primary boot drive in BIOS). I have XP, but XP allows me to perform a repair installation if you boot the installation disc. It fixes Windows but keeps your apps, data and settings.

Reply 9 of 10, by jenkinrocket

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks ripa!! After trying everything in all of the other threads, that was the only thing that worked.

Just to repeat for anyone reading this later:
Hold del during boot up to access bios.
Change primary boot drive as cdrom (optical drive)

From there you'll have many options. I just performed a system restore, although I'm sure you could access regedit from the command prompt (which you could then use) from there (don't know why you would want to, but it's an option). Your icons will still be messed up, but creating knew shortcuts is a small price to pay for having your programs intact.

Thanks everyone!!