VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pmosca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so i installed dosbox on my HP, windows vista is my os btw, and i had success using it to play some old sierra games. but in the midst of one of my gaming sessions, i notice that the vast majority of my desktop icons now had dosbox' logo instead of what it was supposed to have, (firefox, itunes, etc) and when i try to launch these programs, it tries to launch them through 'dos'. so my computer is basically crippled. brand new computer too. now i'm computer retarded so this whole thing could very well be my fault and i'm not even noticing. but help!!!

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It sounds like you may have associated your .lnk files with DOSBox somehow but I can't be sure.

Right-click on one of the desktop icons, go to properties, take a screenshot and post it here.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by pmosca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

haha, wish i could. every time i try to open up an application it brings up a dosbox promp screen and tells me that the program isnt dos compatible. and to make matters even weirder and more frustrating, like a dozen of those prompt screens open up as soon as i turn on my computer.

Reply 3 of 6, by pmosca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it sounds like a did somehow reassociate files to open up in dosbox. any ideas on how to fix it if that's the case. i'd really appreciate any help i can get on this, because it's totally bewildering. i even tried to do some like diagnostics in safemode and even took some basic steps in the direction of restoring my factory settings just because i was getting desperate, but all the diagnostic mode (i'm sorry for the tech illiteracy here) were reacting the same way as regular windows was. i hope that made sense.

Reply 5 of 6, by pmosca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

appreciate the thread...and judging from that thread this was my fault as i suspected. and it sounds like my machine's screwed without drastic measures. i'm gonna take said measures in about a half hour (restoring factory settings) just gonna wait and see if anyone else has a suggestion. once again, thanks for the help/