VOGONS

First post, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the first time I have ever played with any of the OS/2 operating systems, and my mouse and KVM isn't happy with it. My KVM is a IO Gear 4 port with sound, VGA with ps/2. The mouse is a ball type ps/2.

I have no problems running the mouse under dos, win95, win98, XP and Win7 with the KVM. Any clues?

Reply 1 of 6, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using a belkin KVM switch, and on some motherboards, if I have switched the input before turning on the computer, the mouse will work until I switch to a different port. After that.. it doesn't move. Sometime it wouldn't do that, and I found that in those cases I had turned on the computer first, and then a few short seconds later switched over to it.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 2 of 6, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still no luck switching to the port and then turning the computer on. Also I'm using my DOS/Win95 machine and I've never had mouse issues with it. Clean DOS inistall and then warp 4.

No issues without the kvm, I can even fire warp4 up with the kvm and then unplug and then plug in the mouse by itself and starts to work fine.

Reply 3 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PS/2 devices are notoriously finicky about hot-swapping. To deal with this, better KVM switches will send dummy signals to all outputs to keep them convinced that a mouse and/or keyboard is attached even on the outputs that aren't supposed to be active.

Are you using any USB or serial to PS/2 adapters anywhere in your setup, or are you using PS/2 mice/keyboards, PS/2 I/O KVMs and PS/2 computer inputs?

Reply 4 of 6, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The mouse is PS/2 and the keyboard is using a USB to PS/2 adapter. The keyboard is running fine for warp4, just not the mouse. This is the first time I've had any issues with the KVM.

I have a sealed copy of WARP 3 I really didn't want to open, but now's a good time to play with it.

os2warp3new.jpg