VOGONS

First post, by general_knox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Ive gotten almost all my old sierra games to work with the dosbox installers from sierra help pages...except for Police Quest 1 EGA.

Im guessing its a problem with 64 bits...I had it working on XP 32 bits.

Is there anything I can do to get it running on my machine without using Virtual Pc or dual booting xp 32bits?

Thanks in advance!

Reply 2 of 9, by general_knox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Qbix,

Yeah, I have dosbox...and I tried the dosbox installers from sierra help pages (see first post).

Every game I have works, except PQ1 EGA (kings quest collection works, SQ collection works, LSL collection works, etc...)

Reply 4 of 9, by general_knox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Dosfreak,

Here is a little example:

Lets say I just installed PQ1 VGA version with the doxbox installer. Seems to have installed ok. I test to see if it works by double-clicking on the shortcut created by the dosbox installer...I see the dosbox window pop-up, and then the game starts in fullscreen, just like I had it setup. This game "works".

Now I try it with PQ1 EGA version:
I do the same process as above, except when I double-click on the shortcut created by the dosbox installer, I see the dosbox window pop-up...and nothing else afterwards. The game doesnt start at all...
So basically, the game just wont start up.

PS: I have all ORIGINAL cd's, I collected them over the years (not buggy illegal copies).
Thanks!

Reply 5 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are using Collector's installers then that's who you need to contact to fix the issue.

If you just want to use DOSBox then:
Install DOSBox 0.73. Execute it. Install PQ1 inside of it. Run PQ1.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 9, by general_knox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, Ill try doing it manually then. The collectors edition from 1995 (the most wanted) cant be read "normally" in win7 64 bits, it requires 32 bit OS I believe, but the installer goes around that (except for that one particular game)...doh!

Ok, so Ill go ahead and do it manually as you mentionned, and see if I can get it to run that way.

If that fails, Ill take your suggestion and contact the creator of the installers.

And if THAT fails, Ill hang myself with an old rope inside my closet.

Thanks for the help 😀

Reply 7 of 9, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or just lower the CPU cycles to 800 or 900 before starting the game. Sometimes the default cycles of Dosbox are too much for such old games. Another example of black screen @ default cycles would be bubble bobble. Works fine only if cycles <1000.

Reply 8 of 9, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never run into a problem with too many cycels when playing Sierra AGI games through DOSBox. The only games I had this problem with were Pharoah's Tomb, Arctic Adventure, and Monuments of Mars, which give a Runtime Error message when cycles are too high.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.