VOGONS

Common searches

How do I bypass the CD Speed test in Emergency Room installer?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I copied all of the contents of my Emergency Room (DOS game) into a folder, mounted this folder into DOSbox as drive a, and when I tried to install from there, the installer's dreaded CD Speed check locked up on me. Is there any way to install this game and bypass this dreaded CD Speed Check?

Reply 2 of 19, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Um, I guess there's no way to bypass the CD speed test? I did a bit of thinking about this and I realized that if the CD Speed test is always locking up, then the game's installer might be buggy - and therefore defective. If this is the case, is it possible to replace the defective installer file (in the folder that I copied the game CD contents to) with a working installer file for this game?

Reply 4 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried putting the original CD-ROM in your DOSBox computer's CD/DVD drive and mounting the drive in DOSBox as a CD-ROM (mount blahblah -t cdrom)? That might activate some functionality in DOSBox that will satisfy the speed test.

Reply 5 of 19, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

Have you tried putting the original CD-ROM in your DOSBox computer's CD/DVD drive and mounting the drive in DOSBox as a CD-ROM (mount blahblah -t cdrom)? That might activate some functionality in DOSBox that will satisfy the speed test.

This is the first thing I did when I got the game about a month ago - but that CD Speed test still locked up. I tried doing this on several PC's that had DOSbox on them - and the CD speed test always locked up.

Qbix wrote:

well high or low cycles values (so no auto) might help.

Well I have DOSbox's cycles on the original setting - how might this help? Any idea of what value settings to put DOSbox's cycles on, please?

Reply 11 of 19, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wd wrote:

Any idea of what value settings to put DOSbox's cycles on, please?

Try 2398 or 57993.

Just tried these. Also tried setting DOSbox's CPU cycles to max. The game's installer CD speed test still locked up.

Perhaps this image may shed some light on the problem - this is an image of my DOSbox status window when the CPU cycles are set at max, with the game's installer CD speed test locked up.

dosboxstatuswindowcpucyclessetatmax.jpg

I'm trying to install this game into my Dell Inspiron netbook (runs Win XP, it's processor is an Intel Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60 GHz.

Reply 14 of 19, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

What about using Nero DriveSpeed to slow down your CD-ROM drive?

That's what I did way back in Sept, but it did not work - the CD speed test still locked up, and btw, I've had such a bad experience with Nero Drive Speed that I'd like to stay away from it.

There is a possibility that I'll either have to look for a working copy of another Emergency Room either on Amazon.com/ebay, or try to somehow get a working copy of the game's install file from someone, and replace the defective install file with this - any ideas on this, please?

If anyone here on VOGONS has a working copy of Emergency Room (DOS), could you please email me a copy of the "install.exe" file?
Thanks.

Reply 15 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Y'know, you can delete your posts on this board.

I found this old thread, but I don't know if that utility will work in Windows. If it doesn't, you might be able to manage something with a DOS bootdisk and (if your hard drive is NTFS formatted) maybe a DOS USB driver, and then run the installer from DOS.

Reply 16 of 19, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey people - someone on another gaming forum helped me to get this game running in DOSbox, so now I'm able to play it!

I'm so glad that I hung onto the game and did not try to sell it or donate it to the local thrift store!

Cheers!

Reply 18 of 19, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Well, don't leave us in suspense! How did you fix it?

Ok, guys - here we go -

1) Start Virtual PC in DOS mode and install the game;
2) Export the installation directories (\Legacy\eri) to the host and place them in your DOSbox's "Emergency Room" directory;
3) Make sure your CD-Rom drive is set up under DOSbox;
4) Put the original (orange) game CD into your CD-Rom drive;
5) Start DOSbox, type "cd Legacy <enter>, cd eri <enter>, eri;
6) Enjoy!

Reply 19 of 19, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That solution is barely worded in english, and also does not work.

Simply copying the files from the cd over to the install directory and running them gives a "setup file error".

I have tried slowing the cycles down to as low as 500. I have also tried directly mounting my physical cd-rom and installing from there. Interestingly enough, when the speed check pops up, I do not hear the disc spinning up.