VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mobygames reports that Duke Nukem 3-D supports sterescopic anaglyph glasses (red/cyan). My question is how do you enable support for it in the game. Is a special patch needed?

Reply 1 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check Duke3d.cfg, immediately you'll see a video setting for that. BUILD always had support for this, so there's a large chance of this hack in other games.
320x200 only.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 12, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Check Duke3d.cfg, immediately you'll see a video setting for that. BUILD always had support for this, so there's a large chance of this hack in other games.
320x200 only.

Yup, I overlooked that! Unfortunately, the Duke Nukem 3-D anaglyph requires red/blue lenses, not the red/cyan lenses commonly used today. Rad Racer and 3-D Battles of the Worldrunner for the NES also require the red/blue combination glasses.

Is it a hack when it is supported in the official game? I would prefer to call it a feature.

Reply 3 of 12, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A little something that you might find useful, a text file that I threw together some time ago for the RTCM site:

Attachments

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 6 of 12, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or, play the game via Eduke32 and use Nvidia 3D vision which I "think" supports OpenGL? http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Overview.html

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 7 of 12, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried setting screen mode to "7" (RedBlue Stereo), but somehow it doesn't have any effect other than that of the game being reduced to 320x240 now.

My game version 1.5. Is there any trick to it?

locutus

for more Retro-related tidbits follow me on X under @ChrisR3tro.

Reply 8 of 12, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Locutus wrote:

I've tried setting screen mode to "7" (RedBlue Stereo), but somehow it doesn't have any effect other than that of the game being reduced to 320x240 now. My game version 1.5. Is there any trick to it?

Per the text file that I attached to one of my previous posts:

Game: "Duke Nukem 3D v1.3D"
Config File: DUKE3D.CFG
Setting: ScreenMode = 7
Comments: Works correctly.

Game: "Duke Nukem 3D v1.4"
Setting: ScreenMode = 6
Comments: Works correctly.

Game: "Duke Nukem 3D v1.5"
Setting: ScreenMode = 6
Comments: Red/blue vertical lines on the screen.

In v1.4 and v1.5 of D3D the option is *actually* "6" (even though the CFG still says "7" in the remarks: "7" in actuality for versions 1.4 and 1.5 of the game are for "Crystal Eyes" support; v1.3 is "6" for Crystal Eyes), and unfortunately the red/blue support is totally broken in v1.5 of the game.

P.S. Red/blue glasses support is only in 320x200 resolution.

(edit) P.P.S. Attached screenie of E1M1, D3D v1.4 in red/blue glasses mode. One problem with the red/blue support is that the "convergence" (dunno what else to call it) of the red and blue is too far away <IMHO> (I always had to really cross my eyes in order to see the "3D" effect properly), and is why I think that 3D Realms never promoted (and eventually) canned the feature.

Attachments

• Duke_Nukem_3D_v1.4_Screen_Mode_6.png
    Filename
    Duke_Nukem_3D_v1.4_Screen_Mode_6.png
    File size
    38.88 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Duke Nukem 3D, version 1.4, Screenmode=6 (Red/Blue glasses), E1M1
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 9 of 12, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I managed to get the mode running under v1.5. I am also experiencing strange vertical lines, like described here in the thread. Unfortunately v1.3d crashes on me when trying to set the ScreenMode = 7 (computer reboots). Any Idea why (using S3 ViRGE/DX graphics card)?

Reply 10 of 12, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Locutus wrote:

I managed to get the mode running under v1.5. I am also experiencing strange vertical lines, like described here in the thread.

Yeah, unfortunately that's a common problem with any of the Build engine games based upon the newer versions of Build (Blood, NAM, Redneck Rampage, etc...).

Locutus wrote:

Unfortunately v1.3d crashes on me when trying to set the ScreenMode = 7 (computer reboots). Any Idea why (using S3 ViRGE/DX graphics card)?

No idea what would cause that... maybe someone else could jump in here with a suggestion.

BTW, I assume that you're using DOSBox to run Duke? I own the original v1.3d D3D CD as well as the Plutonium Pack CD (I normally run the later, along with the v1.4 to v1.5 upgrade patch... but have the v1.4 EXE in my Duke directory as well; strictly for playing around with the red/blue 3D glasses support), and just did a test install of v1.3d under DOSBox... no problems or crashes on my PC.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 11 of 12, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rfnagel wrote:

BTW, I assume that you're using DOSBox to run Duke?

Nope, using a real DOS machine with DOS 6.22 on it and S3 ViRGE VESA 2.0 card. Under DOSBox everything is fine. Anyway the convergence is way off, so I doubt that anyone actually sees a 3D picture or is able to bear the eyestrain more than 1 minute :)

Still wondering why it won't work under real DOS.

locutus

Reply 12 of 12, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Locutus wrote:

Nope, using a real DOS machine with DOS 6.22 on it and S3 ViRGE VESA 2.0 card. Still wondering why it won't work under real DOS.

That's a real strange one. ATM I don't have a working DOS PC, but I never remembered any problems running it under native DOS (486DX100 with a Genoa video card, and a P233MMX with an S3 Virge as well).

Locutus wrote:

Anyway the convergence is way off, so I doubt that anyone actually sees a 3D picture or is able to bear the eyestrain more than 1 minute 😀

Hehe, if you can cross your eyes REAL GOOD <G>, you can play it... but like you said, not for too long <LOL>! Really a shame that 3D Realms never fixed that... if the red and blue superimposed images were just a tad closer together, It'd be perfect 😀

(edit) You know, I don't think this will help; as the red/blue 3D glasses mode of D3D doesn't use Vesa (AFAIK); but you might try loading this S3 Vesa driver before running the game -> http://ftp.abacus.cz/pub/support/drivery/video/_s3/s3vbe

I've used that one for years on the afore-mentioned P233MMX for various games.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel